PDA

View Full Version : Plantation opened...anyone planning on going?

kiwifruit
Feb. 24, 2010, 12:23 PM
Okay. My plan (if the Event Gods allow) is to start at Plantation this April running novice and go from there. But now with all of this crappy weather and another round of snow in the forcast (along with some crazy prediction from the Farmer's Almanac of a huge snow event mid-March) I'm hesitant to send my entry in. I'm not worried about us being fit but just the lack of getting out and schooling something that resembles a cross country fence has me concerned. Anyone else? Thoughts or plans? And then if they cancel like they did last year because of the ground conditions......Argh! I hate winter!

inquisitive
Feb. 24, 2010, 12:55 PM
I think I'm mailing my entry today...

scubed
Feb. 24, 2010, 01:26 PM
I traditionally volunteer at this event. I don't trust the weather even in a normal year. There is also the minor detail that I am highly unlikely to have anything to ride

Catalina
Feb. 24, 2010, 01:40 PM
(along with some crazy prediction from the Farmer's Almanac of a huge snow event mid-March)

Okay, I am going to totally pretend that I didn't see that. Nope :no:, not at all.

Flying Hippotamus
Feb. 24, 2010, 02:28 PM
I was going to try flora lea but can't do that. I'm worried about fitness this early. I haven't been to Plantation yet but keep hearing about the BIG hill, do they start off a litle easier early in the year? I'm a little worried starting off the year at someplace I haven't been.

I would be going BN.

Oh also - how are the dressage rings? I know they are grass and I don't have studs.

eventer@heart
Feb. 24, 2010, 04:23 PM
I entered and have similar concerns - will re-evaluate on closing date. Sure hope we can go -would be nice to start early and I have family to stay with which makes it extra fun (and saves on hotel!) Fingers crossed.

bornfreenowexpensive
Feb. 24, 2010, 05:36 PM
I was going to try flora lea but can't do that. I'm worried about fitness this early. I haven't been to Plantation yet but keep hearing about the BIG hill, do they start off a litle easier early in the year? I'm a little worried starting off the year at someplace I haven't been.

I would be going BN.

Oh also - how are the dressage rings? I know they are grass and I don't have studs.

No BN at the April HT at Plantation....They have it in May.

By May the footing should be fine I hope! Dressage rings are not great but you don't need studs for them. They are just on grass and the warm up can be a mess if we have really wet footing. Stadium is not that different than what you see at Flora Lea. XC is a blast. Great course. Yeah there is a hill...but at BN you will be fine....you go to Plantation for the xc....very fun open and flowing course.

retreadeventer
Feb. 24, 2010, 10:27 PM
Oh Scubed what are you riding now? Why no horses to ride? Where are they all?

I love Plantation's XC, as BF mentioned. It's always great for the horses. Stadium is just in the driest spot and can be tough because of the footing. Dressage warmup can be tough because of the footing. Parking lot can be tough because of the footing but they have really good looking tractor driver guys who are real darlings with that 20 foot chain!

April is always such a guessing game. Are we fit enough. Will it rain. Will it not be cancelled. Will it be cancelled and if so how much entry money will I lose. Last year we were hunting quite a bit and we were very fit and ready. The footing came up deep but because we were fit, it was OK. In years past I have really been hesitant to send in an entry until the May events; I just don't trust the weather. Especially this year. Farmer's Almanac might have the mojo! :)

Flying Hippotamus
Feb. 24, 2010, 11:24 PM
No BN at the April HT at Plantation....They have it in May.

Well that helps me decide! I'll have my act together by May...