PDA

View Full Version : Good first BN event?

sarah88
Feb. 24, 2010, 09:09 AM
Hi all-
I have a large pony that will (hopefully) be doing her first reg. BN early summer. This will be my first year with the recognized events so i don't really know what to expect at the diff. venues. for her i want to find a inviting xc that really flows (preferably in MD or VA and a 1 day) any suggestions?
Thanks!

yellow rose eventing
Feb. 24, 2010, 09:42 AM
I bring up a lot of greenies and I really like Morven, difficult run and the smaller events like Redland Hunt. Redland is where I'm going to take 3 for their first HT.

scubed
Feb. 24, 2010, 10:06 AM
Don't know if the timing works, but Fair Hill is also a choice. I am often the dressage steward and everyone makes an effort to be flexible and make it easy, especially for those newer to the recognized scene. I like the flow of the xc there

Duckz
Feb. 24, 2010, 12:22 PM
Hi all-
I have a large pony that will (hopefully) be doing her first reg. BN early summer. This will be my first year with the recognized events so i don't really know what to expect at the diff. venues. for her i want to find a inviting xc that really flows (preferably in MD or VA and a 1 day) any suggestions?
Thanks!

Marlborough Horse Trials at Rosaryville State Park has a starter (unrecognized) event in the spring and a recognized one in the fall. http://www.marlboroughhorse.org/ Looks like they just added 2010 info on the website.

My first (and only) event so far was at their starter trial a few years ago. It's very inviting with friendly people. The BN cross country didn't have a ditch (yay!) and the water obstacle was trot-in trot-out no jumping. Even my insanely chicken hunter ring TB made it around the course. I plan on taking my new horse this year. Maybe I'll see you there :)

ETA: Starter Trial is April 11. Schooling is allowed the day before.

Catalina
Feb. 24, 2010, 12:33 PM
Redlands has an extremely inviting XC; the dressage can be a bit :eek: for the horses because it is on top of a hill overlooking stadium and XC, so there is a lot to look at.

SparklePlenty
Feb. 24, 2010, 01:02 PM
I see that MHT has schooling the day before - but i dont see a cost for it.

Anyone know??

thanks!

lionstigersbears
Feb. 24, 2010, 01:02 PM
I would second FHI if the timing fits... I loved the XC there, of course I haven't been in about 5 years, but if it's anything like it was, it'll be a blast!

VicariousRider
Feb. 24, 2010, 01:38 PM
Don't know if the timing works, but Fair Hill is also a choice.

I did my first BN at Fair Hill and it was great.

ETA:
They also have LOTS of schoolings so you can go get the lay of the land first.
Dressage is in rings (not on grass)
Stadium is before x-c so I only had to warm up once but there was enough time to calm down and get reorganized. You could school more between if you need to.

flabbergasted
Feb. 24, 2010, 02:00 PM
I think Seneca and Surefire are straightforward and inviting.

Catalina
Feb. 24, 2010, 02:08 PM
Unless Seneca has that bright white coop as fence one :lol:. That can cause some serious :eek: moments in the unexperienced horses.

scubed
Feb. 24, 2010, 02:22 PM
and unless they have changed things at Seneca, that whole horses galloping past the dressage arena thing means I rarely take my greenies there.

Duckz
Feb. 24, 2010, 02:35 PM
I see that MHT has schooling the day before - but i dont see a cost for it.

Anyone know??

thanks!

$35 per horse/rider
http://www.marlboroughhorse.org/MHT%20schooling%20Apr%2010.pdf

jpalisades
Mar. 11, 2010, 09:25 AM
For those who were at Redland last spring... What were the cause(s) of all the xc penalties at BN? I have a young (too talented for her own mind at times) OTTB who I am considering entering at her first BN this spring. Redland looks inviting (although the bank up looks big for BN from the photo anyways) but when I looked up the scores from last year there were stops and E's all over the place.

The other one I was looking at is Loudon.

Catalina
Mar. 11, 2010, 10:49 AM
I did BN at Redland last spring and the bank did take some toll just because if you didn't approach it well, it came up suddenly and caught horses by surprise. Stadium was also very winding and twisty and if your steering wasn't great, it could be easy to get off line to some of the fences.

asterix
Mar. 11, 2010, 02:57 PM
I did Seneca BN not this past year but year before -- they still have the horses galloping past dressage setup...and they still have the scary white coop...it was fence 2 or 3 this time around, and it ate a LOT of horses.