PDA

View Full Version : Random Lameness...

eventr4life
Feb. 23, 2010, 08:32 PM
Today after riding for 30 minutes my horse suddenly became lame while i was cantering.
I went to pick up the canter(had been cantering before this) and then he took a few sound strides like normal and all the sudden it felt like he was cross cantering or something so i just stopped him to switch thinking he was and he didnt trot he just like stopped...
As i started to cold hose and look for any signs to why he was lame i found that he fetlock was slightly swollen but no sure signs of heat. He was 3 legged lame to the point he wouldnt even rest his right hind leg he was just holding it up.
I gave him bute and wrapped his hind legs after an hour he was walking a bit better but still very lame. As i was wrapping i noticed the vein that reins next to the tendons was swollen and his entire leg all the way up his hip was very very hot even his bulbs on his heels were hot.
Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this random lameness?
Im going out tomorrow morning to check on him before class.
I also have a horse trial Saturday - guessing i cant go?

ANY info would be extremely valuable! Thanks!

SillyHorse
Feb. 23, 2010, 09:07 PM
If my horse was suddenly three-legged lame with a hot leg, I'd be calling the vet instead of posting on COTH. But that's just me.

Beam Me Up
Feb. 23, 2010, 09:16 PM
I'm not at all a vet.

Assume you checked his shoe if he is shod?

The fact that it happened so suddenly, during work, and hadn't resolved an hour later would suggest you may have a risk of tendon/ligament injury.

I would call your vet tonight for advice--they will probably tell you to leave him in until they can see him, since if it is a soft tissue injury, moving around on it will make it worse. And they can tell you what to check in the a.m., to report back to them.

Horses have terrible timing but try not to think about the HT--one step at a time. Missing shows sucks, but not as much as stall rest and the like.

Good luck and let us know what happens with him!

bornfreenowexpensive
Feb. 23, 2010, 09:21 PM
I've known horses with a foot abcess go lame like that. Does he have a strong pulse into his foot? Cellulitis (sp?) is the other thing that I've had happen with my horses that made the very lame very fast......but other than, I start thinking bad thoughts....like fracture or soft tissue.

That lame though....I would call the vet right away and keep him in the stall until the vet got there. It just isn't something to mess around with....hopefully it turns out to be nothing.

eventr4life
Feb. 23, 2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the replys. I called the vet immediately after i untacked him. They just suggested bute, wrapping, stall rest, and cold hose, and check his hoof for nail/stone etc.
I did all of this, and will be calling the vet again tomorrow morning once i see if he is still lame, swollen, and hot.

lizajane09
Feb. 23, 2010, 10:04 PM
If he was non-weight bearing with no prior warning and only minimally better with bute, you need to get the vet out. Sooner rather than later. None of us here can see the injury, so we're unlikely to be able to diagnose it for you - get a vet's opinion. Keep us posted and I hope it's nothing too serious.

BFNE, cellulitis can cause heat and lameness but usually comes with very significant swelling (as in the leg becomes a complete cylinder), which the OP didn't mention, and it also doesn't generally come on suddenly in the middle of a ride. I agree that the OP should take a look at his foot, though.

ETA: Read your updated post after I posted this - glad to hear you've spoken to a vet.

bornfreenowexpensive
Feb. 23, 2010, 10:31 PM
BFNE, cellulitis can cause heat and lameness but usually comes with very significant swelling (as in the leg becomes a complete cylinder), which the OP didn't mention, and it also doesn't generally come on suddenly in the middle of a ride. I agree that the OP should take a look at his foot, though.

ETA: Read your updated post after I posted this - glad to hear you've spoken to a vet.

I'm very familar with cellulitis...and have had it in a couple of horses without the extreme swelling...but yes, always some amount of swelling. Just was thinking what I know comes on quickly and can cause significant lameness although most of my horses with it have have been weight bearing on their legs. Was just thinking what might come on that fast...that isn't career ending. Glad the OP called the vet. Hopefully it just turns out to be an abcess....which is usually what comes to mind first for me....second is some sort of fracture.

skip916
Feb. 23, 2010, 10:47 PM
sounds very abscess-y to me- i had the vet rush out once for a horse that i was SURE had some kind of fracture in his shoulder because of the way he was hanging the leg and it was a TINY abscess that she cut out in about 2 minutes- silly me. they are tricky sometimes and it sure seems like the time of year for them! i'm sending good vibes your way and hoping the only thing you have to do is get out the epsom salts! good luck!

SillyHorse
Feb. 24, 2010, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the replys. I called the vet immediately after i untacked him. They just suggested bute, wrapping, stall rest, and cold hose, and check his hoof for nail/stone etc.
I did all of this, and will be calling the vet again tomorrow morning once i see if he is still lame, swollen, and hot.
Well, good. Sorry for the little snark, then. :cool:

eventr4life
Feb. 24, 2010, 08:34 AM
UPDATE:
Its not looking to good...
This morning he looked sound at the walk(but he had his blanket on so i didnt get to compare the hips)-this made me excited until he started trotting... Even with the blanket on it looked like something was going on with the upper leg and hip almost like it was getting caught as he tried to step forward, and his fetlock and pastern movement looked weird- he was also dragging his foot.
Just called vet, They are coming out today. Lets hope this isnt permanent...

RiverBendPol
Feb. 24, 2010, 09:03 AM
I'd be pulling blood for tick borne infections. Erlichia surely can present like this.

Sancudo
Feb. 24, 2010, 09:28 AM
Sounds stifle-y, especially with the dragging toe. Maybe he just locked it an is sore on it now. I've had that a couple of times with different horses.