PDA

View Full Version : Help! Barnsby Saddle!

graytbmare
Feb. 23, 2010, 09:01 AM
So I finally decided on a new saddle, a Barnsby Diablo, and it is absolutely perfect. Fits my horse and I perfectly. :yes: Only problem is both the website and tag say to no oil the saddle until it is broken in. Okay cool, but what the heck do I use on it until then? Im guessing some sort of beeswax balsam or some similar conditioner, but this saddle was a large chunk of my savings and Im scared to do something Ill regret. I know alot of you ride in Barnsbys, so what did you do and what do you recommend not doing :lol:

TIA!

caffeinated
Feb. 23, 2010, 09:25 AM
I was bad and oiled mine. Shhhh! Don't tell them!!!

I used hydrophane DARKENING oil too!

Clearly, I am going to hell.

But if in doubt I'd just use a ledersbalsam type product ;)

SandyUHC
Feb. 23, 2010, 09:33 AM
No, beeswax would not be a good choice. Why do you feel you need to oil it?? Buff it to work the natural oil into it and wipe it off after (and before if it is dusty) every ride. You love it, you want it to last, maybe you should trust they know what they are talking about?

GiGi
Feb. 23, 2010, 09:41 AM
Yeah I am going to hell as well. I used pure neatsfoot oil and oiled the snot outta the inside of the flaps so they would soften up right away and I used a light coat all over the top so that if I rode in the rain it wouldn't spot.

Zephyr
Feb. 23, 2010, 10:31 AM
Can you just use glycerine saddle soap? That will clean/condition/stickify it...

Roney
Feb. 23, 2010, 12:32 PM
I got my Diablo used, so I'm not too much help (I vote pure glycerin saddle soap), but wanted to say CONGRATS! I LOVE LOVE LOVE my saddle, hope yours works for you too! :)

Bacchus
Feb. 23, 2010, 02:33 PM
Why don't you e-mail the company and ask them what they recommend?

I use a combo cleaner/conditioner on my Black Country (Bickell 4 or something like that). I have not oiled it yet -- no reason to. If it gets really dirty on the flaps, I'll use glycerin saddle soap.

graytbmare
Feb. 23, 2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions! This is my first nice, not bought used saddle, so Im way over protective of it lol. I wanted to condition it because it looks dry from sitting at the tack shop for about a year. I tried emailing Barnsby but no response yet. I do love it! It fits my horse and I almost like a custom and I cannot wait to do more in it when the stupid snow melts! :)

secretariat
Feb. 23, 2010, 06:15 PM
I'll bet Charlie looks BEAUTIFUL in that new saddle!!!

graytbmare
Feb. 23, 2010, 10:16 PM
She does! I think she likes it. At least she better, it was her birthday present for the next ten years, maybe more haha. I cant wait for you to see her this spring! We are planning on going to Winona and South Farm... sooo close to you guys! I miss my KY family!

secretariat
Feb. 23, 2010, 11:50 PM
AWESOME!! I think we'll be at Winona with bells on. I'll buy dinner - we miss you as well!!

Mary in Area 1
Feb. 23, 2010, 11:53 PM
My daughter's is like BUTTAH now, but that is after she worked about a whole bottle of neatsfoot oil into it!

Do what you have to do. Better than falling off!

paddles
Feb. 26, 2010, 12:13 AM
I work for another saddle maker. The folks at Barnsby probably recommend what they do because they know something about how that expensive leather was tanned.

There are a number of things you could probably get away with but why would you want to. Stay away from the one-steps, the emulsions, the compounds, and the olive oil. Just clean you saddle with a glycerin soap and water. While glycerin soap is not a conditioner it will clean and protect your saddle until you can apply the conditioner Barnsby recommends. Enjoy.

PaddyUK
Feb. 26, 2010, 06:15 AM
I have had my barnsby dressage saddle from new and NEVER oiled it.

Use convential saddle soap to clean and once worn in use Effol ledersbalsam.

The Barnsby rep said not to oil it.

You don't need to slaver it in oil or soak it in neatsfoot. If it has the "Y" girthing system, oil could affect the stitching under the skirt.

I have had mine (and it is my second, this horse needed a different fit) for a few years and it still looks like new.

They wear in quickly and the leather is such that care as above should be all that is required.

Paddy