View Full Version : Do you train alone, with a partner, or in a group?

Feb. 22, 2010, 11:09 PM
The thread about carrying a (stun) gun made me think about riding alone vs. with a partner vs. in a group...
I mostly train alone but enjoy rides with my training partner better. Group rides - not so much ;) You never really get going like you do on your own...

How do you prefer to train for CT or Endurance?

Feb. 28, 2010, 07:03 PM
When I was doing this, I preferred to do conditioning rides alone so I could listen to my horse, but I sprinkled in group and partner rides to condition my horse's brain.

Still love to ride alone.

Mar. 1, 2010, 04:19 PM
I would much prefer to have another to train with, mostly just for company. However, the logistics of meeting up with a training partner are usually too complicated so almost all my training is alone. :cry:

Painted Horse
Mar. 1, 2010, 05:38 PM
I enjoy the company of friends. But my horses do learn more when I take them out by themselves.

Mar. 1, 2010, 05:43 PM
Usually alone or with one other person. I have a HUGE-strided horse. I haven't met another horse yet who isn't gaited that can keep up with her walk. It's not fun for her or me to be holding her in through a whole ride. If we're alone I don't have to touch her face for the entire ride. In company, I'm constantly reining her in. I know a couple other people who like fast trot/canter rides so I have company occasionally but typically I don't like large group rides since you're held to the pace of the slowest mover. Since we've been hunting twice a week this winter, when I trail ride I use it as more of a long, stretchy relaxing time. In the summer when I'm moving out and conditioning then I'll meet up with a friend or invite one who doesn't have a trailer once a week or so and the rest of the time school on my own. Own my own usually means I have my Border Collie with me, too so it's never really lonely!

Mar. 1, 2010, 06:32 PM
Depends, when i was conditioning for rides i usually rode alone but once a week would go out with the pleasure riders so my horse didn't think a bunch of horses out on the trail always meant we're in a race. I had a pretty set training and conditioning routine and most of the riders I knew could not keep up either the pace of distance I did, but once a week we do just go for a group hack.
I have not competed in quite a few years, so my trail rides have been mostly social rides although the group I generally ride with tend to go for long rides but not as fast, now my routine is reversed, I ride with a small group most of the time but try to take my horse out alone a few times a month so she doesn't think she always has to have another horse along with her.