PDA

View Full Version : Id/Label Tack

eevents11
Feb. 22, 2010, 04:22 PM
Hey

What are some ways to label your tack? Do you use round nameplates? What do you put on them, name and phone number? Or do you use permanent marker with electrical tape? Need some good ideas.

norcalammie
Feb. 22, 2010, 04:28 PM
I use a variety of methods to label everything at the barn. I have the little round tags on bridles and other strap goods, my leather halter and good lead rope. Many things are labeled with a Sharpie - either black or silver depending on the color of the item - but in places where it does not really show - inside the elastic on the girth, etc. Brushes, etc. just have Sharpie initials. Blankets have horse's name and my initials on the inside front. Between the round tags and the Sharpie everything is marked excpet a hoof pick but it is a kind that no one else uses at the barn and has not wandered away in 10 years!

deltawave
Feb. 22, 2010, 04:54 PM
In my barn it's "just me" so don't usually label anything. At the trainer's barn where I board in the winter, the horses have their own MyRopes with their names, and halters with name plates. Blankets have my name in permanent marker somewhere. Everything else I don't worry about. My saddles don't have nameplates or anything; I've just not done that in years. I know them on sight and have homeowner's insurance. :D

If someone wants to steal my tack, a label isn't going to help. The horses are microchipped. Nothing else is worth stealing! :lol:

Little Valkyrie
Feb. 22, 2010, 06:09 PM
Saddles and Bridles have plates with my name on it, Halters have plates with horse's name on it, lead rope has a little round tags on it. Brushes are marked with electrical tape and sharpie. Boots are labeled in sharpie. I really hate the bridle tags because they make so much noise when they jingle around, but thats JMO. :)

VicariousRider
Feb. 22, 2010, 09:16 PM
One interesting alternative that I have seen is a very small brand. I think you can order them online and they are really subtle and can be hidden easily. I have never bought one myself but here's the idea:

www.steakbrandingirons.com/mini-small-steak-branding-irons.php
www.shapeways.com/model/63054/text_brandingiron.html

Otherwise here are my tactics:
Blankets: Small round dog tag w/ initials only
Saddle: Full name on cantle plate.
Bridle: Full name on flexible plate on crown piece
Halter: Name on plate on cheek/tag on nylon
Grooming supplies & buckets: electrical tape in my colors

Generally I feel that you only need an identifying mark. Then you know it is yours and can either ask politely for it back or make sure you are not inadvertently using someone else's things. Be aware that permanent marker fades pretty fast in the washing machine. I am not sure that you need phone numbers, etc. unless you are prone to leaving your things behind somewhere.

deltawave
Feb. 22, 2010, 09:41 PM
I once long ago had a little butane-powered "branding iron" that was meant for tack and came with interchangeable letters. I think I found it floating around at the bottom of a rubbermaid tub a couple of years back and chucked it. It was pretty neat; I did have my initials on the inside of the flap of my old hunter saddle.

Hilary
Feb. 23, 2010, 08:10 AM
I put my initials in the gullet of the saddle with a Sharpie. The dressage saddle I bought used had the former owner's name on the permanent billet guards.

And my tack room door is always locked.