PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of me with my new best friends--Lucinda and Clayton Fredericks!

purplnurpl
Feb. 22, 2010, 05:21 PM
I'm so sorry it took me so long to get this up.

It may not be as long and detailed as some of you may have wanted--if you would like more detail please just PM me!

The Freds were no walk in the park. I was surprised no one cried. Lucinda was really mean with her pole work and started yelling quite a bit. lol.

The clinic was amazing. They are coming back to north Texas annually and you bet I'm going every time!!

They changed my way of SJ all together and it really paid off. (I used to run the entire course in 1/2 seat. The Freds sat my butt in the saddle.)I felt the benefits of the changes in my SJ round this past weekend BIG TIME! I feel much more 'put together' now.

enjoy!
http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/

ss3777
Feb. 22, 2010, 05:32 PM
[quote=purplnurpl;4704075]
The Freds were no walk in the park. I was surprised no one cried. Lucinda was really mean with her pole work and started yelling quite a bit. lol.
/quote]

OK..........that is the best tag line yet for a clinic blog!! LOL!!

Off to read your blog...........

Thanks!

purplnurpl
Feb. 22, 2010, 05:37 PM
OK..........that is the best tag line yet for a clinic blog!! LOL!!

Off to read your blog...........

Thanks!

well, shoot! I didn't put that in my blog.
I should add it.

My favorite quote of the weekend?
and my new favorite horse quote:

"Dressage is all about confidence and bullshit"
Clayton Fredericks

Emily looked at me right away and said, "well crap Kristen, that is why you always win the dressage!!" (I didn't argue with that one) lol.

CarolinaGirl
Feb. 22, 2010, 06:09 PM
(I used to run the entire course in 1/2 seat. The Freds sat my butt in the saddle.)

I would ride with them based on this comment alone!! I grew up riding, for probably 9-10 years, with an instructor that had my butt IN the saddle. So many instructors teach/preach the half seat approach to people who shouldn't yet use it. They either don't have the leg strength/stability or have a green horse. You have a packer horse that's fine, they'll jump regardless of where you are sitting. You're running the upper levels and have the ability and strength that's fine. But if you have a novice rider or a young horse (or some combo of that) it really is safer for them to have their butt in the saddle. My trainer always said I'd rather you get left behind and stay on than have your horse stop or the horse pop over the jump and you fall off the front.
At this point I still haven't found someone, since old instructor moved away,who teaches the same way... they all want the half seat. And I seriously have the HARDEST time making myself stay up in half seat... I want my butt in the saddle at least 3-4 strides out.

snoopy
Feb. 22, 2010, 07:39 PM
I have not read the blog but if the Lucinda and Clayton told you to be more butt in seat and more upright to the jumps, well that would not surprise me as it is a more european way of riding. Not a fan of the more forward position in america.

Kanga
Feb. 22, 2010, 08:28 PM
Exactly Snoopy!! And yet here lies another example of a different system and style of riding that is, in my eyes quite correct(because I was trained in England) but yet not what they are teaching in the ICP!

Yes, here goes the can of worms!!!

eventrider
Feb. 22, 2010, 09:11 PM
I agree 100% Snoopy and Kanga.
I bet the clinic was a blast!

Festivity
Feb. 22, 2010, 09:13 PM
Sounds like the clinic was a blast, if they come to NorCal, I will have to see what I can do. Growing up riding a something that was super quick and had a dirty stop guarantied that my butt stays in the saddle for as long as possible. He was determined to make sure that I did not jump ahead of him and even proved that it was possible to come to a full stop after picking his front feet up off the ground and not knock down the jump. Fortunately he is good natured and most of the falls were soft. My instructors loved him, he did at least half their work for them and tattled on me when I didn't ride correctly.

snoopy
Feb. 22, 2010, 09:26 PM
Exactly Snoopy!! And yet here lies another example of a different system and style of riding that is, in my eyes quite correct(because I was trained in England) but yet not what they are teaching in the ICP!

agreed, but I am not about to open that can of worms....;)

purplnurpl
Feb. 22, 2010, 09:43 PM
I feel that the younger (4 y/oish), green, little to no topline horse cannot yet support the riders full weight in the seat.

The horse I'm riding is going to be 5 in June. He's just now there where I can sit on his back and feel his muscle line actually accept my contact.

But yes, this was something I needed to get the feel of for my SJ technique (and skinny technique).
The canter pole exercises that Lucinda did with us really put the feel in my boot-eh.

purplnurpl
Feb. 22, 2010, 09:54 PM

well I have to say. I sat the entire warm up and course yesterday and it felt just amazing.

The horse went so much better too.

I jumped ship last year just before the ICP workshops started here in TX. Figured I'd save my 1500 bucks for another day. ; )

LexInVA
Feb. 23, 2010, 10:09 AM
I have to say, Special K, you clean up wonderfully. Not that you look bad at all when you're not clean, but damn, you go girl!