PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have success with Copper Supplements?

minuspride
Feb. 22, 2010, 01:41 PM
Posting this to learn some more about it...I've heard Copper helps with hoof health and some hoof issues. Is this true? If so what were your horse's issues prior to using it? What form of copper supplement did you use?

Diamond Jake
Feb. 22, 2010, 05:49 PM
I have heard you must be careful with your mineral balances. Why not use a good hoof supplement like Formula4feet or Farriers Formula?

minuspride
Feb. 22, 2010, 09:07 PM
Oh I'm not actually looking to add it to any horse's diet I was chatting with someone and they mentioned that copper deficiencies sometimes contribute to hoof problems like thrush and white line and whatnot. I just wanted to know if that's true or false.

CowGirlSoap
Mar. 13, 2010, 01:32 PM
I started my gelding (a LOT of hoof issues- thrush included) on Remission about 5-6 months ago. That helped a lot, his hoof growth since then has been tighter and it did help his thrush.

A little over a month ago I added Copper and Zinc (bought as individual supps from www.Uckele.com) and his frogs look great. No more thrush and his rear frogs are wide and lovely... still working on getting enough stimulation for the fronts to fatten up. I can't tell you that it was specifically the copper, but I think that he fit a lot of the "iron overload" symptoms and I think that this has helped his mineral uptake be more balanced.

The barn owner turned him out the other day and he cantered away, bucking and farting... VERY big deal for him! He's getting about 150-175 mg copper and 450-500 mg zinc.

mysaygrace
Mar. 13, 2010, 03:00 PM
I can't tell you much about copper supplements but I do have unusual experiences pertaining to copper with my mare, or so I've been told. My arab mare is a bay straight egyptian who has over the years developed white spots from time to time in different places on her coat. They appear in different sizes, locations & amounts when they show up. I was told they are from a copper defiency. I once even had a lay judge at a CTR adamantly tell me my mare wasn't a purebred because of these white spots, sorta ticked me off by the way she TOLD me but that's another story. Anyway, someone (sort of an old timer horseperson whom I trust with my horse's life, heck even mine) tell me just put a copper piece of pipe in her water bucket & she'll get rid of her copper defiency. I was more than skeptical, but thought what did I have to lose, low & behold a few weeks later I noticed the white spots shedding out & slowly disappearing. I suppose I could have blood drawn and pursued this further with a vet but the spots aren't always there and my mare seems very healthy. I did ask a few vets awhile back and they didn't seem concerned about it. It's always interesting each spring & fall to see where & how many spots will appear.

Leather
Mar. 13, 2010, 03:20 PM
Copper/zinc deficiencies can lead to poor hoof health.

Article on feeding the hoof:
http://www.hoofrehab.com/diet.htm

(FYI--you might get more responses if you move this thread to the Horse Care forum.)