PDA

View Full Version : XC boots for leg with timber shin??

midnightride
Feb. 21, 2010, 09:58 PM
My 4 yr old has a lovely timber shin on his right hind from getting it hung in the paddock fence as a 2 yr old.... he is totally sound on it and it should never be a problem BUT the cannon bone area is about 2 inches bigger than the ankle area and i can not get my regular Woof boots to stay in place.

Any ideas??? Porter boots do OK ( no sliping down) but dont really fit that well... there is a huge gap at the top....

Thanks!!!!!!

retreadeventer
Feb. 21, 2010, 10:02 PM
Somehow I can't picture how the leg might look, but try this:
bigdweb.com
Big D tack. They carry both standardbred (harness) racing boots and more conventional boots - take a look to see if there might be any boots online there that might work? Check the harness racing section. Let me know if that was helpful!

midnightride
Feb. 21, 2010, 10:16 PM
Thanks, will do!! had not thought about the harness stuff...

the leg.... well normally you have a flat cannon bone down to an ankle that is larger around than the cannon area.... in this case the ankle is normal the back of leg is normal and the front of the leg has a C shape to it- from the ankle joint to bulges forward to a point about mid cannon and them goes back to normal prior to the hock...

he is NOT doing a conformation class EVER:lol:

BaroquePony
Feb. 21, 2010, 10:23 PM
If it were my horse and I felt I seriously needed the protection, and I was going to use the boots as part of his every day or every other day gear, I would get a pair of boots made custom.

Roney
Feb. 21, 2010, 10:32 PM
Still can't quite picture the shape of the leg, but you may think about some EquiFit boots like these: http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=4952

with the T-foam liner, which will mold to fit the horse's leg. My guy has multiple splints, old sequestrums (sequestra?), other mysterious lumps, and these are the only boots I've found that fit him comfortably besides Porters with holes cut out of them. :) we will also not be winning any conformation classes!

midnightride
Feb. 21, 2010, 10:39 PM
^^ humm..... that is a thought..... have never used the Tfoam stuff- but also have a 3 yr old with a nice big lump from a suquestrum (sp!!!).... yes the kids are related (uncle and niece;) )

guess i need to spend some time shopping!!!! or get a new family of horses!!

SkipChange
Feb. 22, 2010, 10:33 AM
Not sure you really want to run XC in T-Boots...I have the open fronts and the liners absorb a lot of water. Could potentially get very heavy and slip down.

saje
Feb. 22, 2010, 10:51 AM
How about a leather boot a size larger, soak it well then let him wear it wet so it molds to his leg? If it's too long you might be able to get a good cobbler to cut it down a little

midnightride
Feb. 22, 2010, 01:42 PM
Perhaps these- www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productclassid=7791&

I think maybe the fitted ankle and tendon part of the boot will hold it up even if the front is not fitted tighter than the ankle. :confused: maybe.... should arrive on Thurs.

SkipChange-
Thanks for the T-foam warning- also didnt see any that would be much different from ones i have tried. I guess i can always custom cut some Porters but i do want as much protection on the cannon bone as possible (i think it stings him if he bangs it)

bornfreenowexpensive
Feb. 22, 2010, 01:57 PM
Honestly...Horses I've known in the past with them did best with Porter boots cut to fit them. The more you use them...the better they fit the leg.

I do have a pair of these that I really like...but if you can't get woof boots to fit...not sure these will.

http://www.saddlery.biz/pp/Horse_Boots_and__Horse_Bandages/Hind_Boots/NEW_Cross_Country_Airoflow%2C_Hind.html

But perhaps the regular xc boots like these two below will work...they drop down lower around the ankle...so maybe you can adjust them well enough. I would think you want a tendon guard on the front because if..I mean when...he
wacks that front of his cannon bone, it usually makes the "tendon" shins swell more for a little while.

http://www.saddlery.biz/pp/Horse_Boots_and__Horse_Bandages/Hind_Boots/NEW_Brushing_Boot_Fleece_XL%2C_Hind.html

http://www.saddlery.biz/pp/Horse_Boots_and__Horse_Bandages/Hind_Boots/Dalmar_Eventer_Hind_Boots.html

Roney
Feb. 22, 2010, 01:59 PM
Not sure you really want to run XC in T-Boots...I have the open fronts and the liners absorb a lot of water. Could potentially get very heavy and slip down.

This is true. I am using the T-Boots for schooling and porters for competition for this reason. :yes: