PDA

View Full Version : How long after your C-Section?

summerly
Feb. 21, 2010, 08:32 PM
How long after your C-Section did you wait to get back on your horse? I have a well mannered, quiet young event horse that I need to get going with again. He went on holidays while I was pregnant with numero two. So how long did you wait to get back on your pony? I feel great and have no complications and am dying to ride, the doctor said light xercise would be ok. So I'm contemplating hopping on and doing some walking and stretching and bending and so forth......it's been ten days so far. Anyone?

Bogie
Feb. 21, 2010, 09:09 PM
My doctor told me 4 weeks. I was riding 4 weeks to the day.

Honestly, although I bounced back pretty quickly from my c-section, it took me awhile before riding was really comfortable. But I enjoyed being back on my horse.

PhoenixFarm
Feb. 22, 2010, 02:16 AM
My doctor didn't want me riding until six weeks post delivery, but that was more due to some complications unrelated to the c-section, than the c-section itself. However, I may have inadvertantly been on to something, as I didn't ride again until about seven weeks postpartum, but I've had none of the pain or discomfort both my doctor and others riding girlfriends who'd had c's told me to expect. Sore muscles from being out of shape, but no discomfort in the surgical site at all.

So maybe waiting a bit longer is better? I dunno.

lyndieventer
Feb. 22, 2010, 10:52 AM
I waited 6 weeks. I had an emergency c-section (the kind where they RUN you down the hall and have the baby out in under 8 minutes!) and the incision scar was about 12 inches across so it took it a while to heal.

Any sooner than 4 weeks would scare me...Just because it's always the quiet ones that do something silly when you least expect it. And, I wouldn't think falling on a recent c-section incision would be good.

ctab
Feb. 22, 2010, 11:05 AM
Baby #1 was a rough delivery. 18 hours of pre-labor, 2 hours of pushing then emergency C-section. Add to that a bladder infection, followed by a urinary tract infection and I was barely conscious for 2 weeks ;-) 6 weeks to wait after him.
Baby #2 was a planned C and went easy peasy. Still it was another 6 weeks before I was allowed to drive let alone ride. But for both I was 6 weeks to the day on a horse.
The doctor told me it was the chance of an accident, however minor, that could put me in the hospital. Then who would take care of babies. I mean I have a husband but he has to work....
I had the usual sore muscles for a several weeks. Really it took a good 6 months before I felt like I was close to pre-baby shape and a year before I felt like I was doing really well. Other people bounce right back. Everyone is different.
Try longeing for a week and ground driving. That should get you moving!
Don't forget sleep deprivation and the fact that your body is repairing itself from major surgery and if you breast feed that also is a drain. There is a reason those broodmares look tired and drained and all out of shape that first month too!

SaddleFitterVA
Feb. 22, 2010, 11:48 AM
8 days. Just walking around the first few times. Not recommended by doctors and I don't think most people feel up to it that quickly.

Maryalden
Feb. 22, 2010, 12:41 PM
I had 4 children all by c-section. The word "labor" is too closely related to the word "work," and I knew I didn't want to do THAT. I had lovely, planned, c-sections, and was back on a horse about a week later. Getting back into riding shape was another story.

Good luck.

Jumping_the_moon
Feb. 22, 2010, 12:47 PM
About two weeks for me. I wore tummy support to ride because my 3rd c-section was an emergency and I was pretty beat up.

KnKShowmom
Feb. 22, 2010, 02:11 PM
I think 4 weeks but might have been 6 - not too much discomfort and shed the last 15 lbs as soon as my butt hit the tack :D

As some one else said, better a bit later than too soon besides, the first few weeks after DD was born I didn't get enough sleep to be able to ride, even at a walk!:no:

summerly
Feb. 22, 2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the input. I feel great and most muscle soreness from the surgery is gone. I just need to get back into shape! I am goning to give the support belt a whirl and try some walking and stretching later this week! We'll see how it goes! I was galloping horses 6 weeks after my first unplanned C-section, and this planned one has been way easier to date!

rabicon
Feb. 22, 2010, 02:16 PM
I'm down right now with a c section type inscision but it was to remove a mass and ovary. My doctor told me not to even touch a horse except to pet it for 6 weeks. To many sutures inside to worry about. I'm only 2 weeks in almost and I'm going crazy!!

rivenoak
Feb. 22, 2010, 02:16 PM
7 weeks.
At 8 weeks, I was hunting again.

If I'd had my own decently-sized horse at the time, I probably would've ridden earlier. What I had then was a 17.3hh and out of work for 7 months TB; not my first choice. :eek:

flabbergasted
Feb. 22, 2010, 04:19 PM
I was riding again in less than 2 weeks. But it was a planned procedure without any complications, and I am also a triathelete - in really great physical shape to be honest. The one and only thing that bothered me was the incision when posting the trot (the incision rubbed against the very front of the saddle and it was a bit irritating at times).

KaBoom!
Feb. 22, 2010, 09:16 PM
I went in to see my ob gyn for my 10 day post c section check. I asked her when I could start riding again. She looked at me like I had three eyes but did say as far as she was concerned whenever I felt ready. I went home and rode my friends horse as mine where with my trainer. Never felt better! A bit wobbly in the saddle but no pain or discomfort. Of course I didn't attempt to sit the trot for a week or two!

Nothing like riding to help with the stress of a new baby. (Love them to death but I am always calmer and happier mommy after a ride on the beasties)

congratulations on the new baby!

Horsegal984
Mar. 6, 2010, 03:17 PM
I did a search for a thread just like this, and ironically it was started a half an hour after I checked in for my induction. That wound up being an emergency c-section on the 22nd, DD was determined not to come out! Now I'm pretty much dying to get out and about again, and can't wait to get back on a horse! Guess I'll wait till my checkup on the 23rd and see what the Dr says, the only really trustworthy guys I have available are more lame than me right now. :(

4Martini
Mar. 6, 2010, 03:50 PM
Man, I'm impressed with you ladies!

I'm 11 weeks out and still not back on. Now, physically I could ride no problem. I just have a 21yo not reliable TB, who I usually lunge 3x a week for a month before I get on him after a break and with DH working full time and in school nights/ weekends I just don't have the opportunity to get him in shape (he has had back problems, so we always start work without someone on him after a break.)

What do you do with your babies while you're riding? I'm worried my horse may be retired for good at this point...

FoxChaser
Mar. 6, 2010, 07:55 PM
I've been lucky enough to have college students babysit while I ride. My SIL is a psych professor at our local college, so she recruits students to babysit part time for me :) I also have a mom friend who lives between my barn & my trainer's barn, so I can literally drive up with my horse trailer, drop the kiddos off, and go ride. I've been reading this thread because I'm due with baby #2 any day and am afraid I may have to have a c-section if he goes much longer :(