PDA

View Full Version : How best to get into eventing (and trainers near NW Houston)?

Halt Near X
Feb. 21, 2010, 07:20 PM
I'm primarily a dressage rider who, deep down, really wants to event.

My issue is that while I jumped as a teen (competitive at 3'+ in hunters, jumpers, and eq), I had a bad fall in college and it's taken 5 years for me to decide I'm ready to jump again.

I've jumped a couple fences and confirmed that I can do so without losing my brain, curling up in a ball, or otherwise dying of fright. This is a major step forward, but it's obviously going to take miles and time before I'm back where I was. But this time, instead of focusing H/J, I really would like to try eventing.

Does it make sense to try to find an eventing trainer right now? Would I be better off finding a H/J barn to get the miles over fences in? Am I going to be laughed off a trainer's property when I say, "Hey, I've been afraid of ground poles for the last five years, but now I want to event?"

And if anyone has trainer recommendations in NW Houston (or within an hour-ish drive of NW Houston), please let me know. Thanks!

archieflies
Feb. 21, 2010, 08:08 PM
I say go straight to an even trainer. They can still get you the miles over fences, as many go to local h/j shows as well, and will likely have a good focus on safety and practical riding to get you over any fears (not saying h/j trainers won't...). I can promise, nobody's going to laugh at all. We all have our fears!

I wish I could offer suggestions on brans. I grew up in NW Houston, but did jumpers at the time. Greater Houston Combined Training Association could probably offer suggestions. http://www.ghcta.org/index.html

Good luck!

sheltoneb
Feb. 22, 2010, 12:12 AM
I would recommend Blue Ribbon Meadows in Katy. The instructors are really good and are understanding and supportive of nervous riders. PM me if you would like more details. They have a website you can look up as well.

Halt Near X
Feb. 22, 2010, 09:40 AM
archieflies, thanks for the link -- my usual Google skills were failing me this time around.

sheltoneb, I think I've seen the Blue Ribbon website before, but I'll take another look.

I'll make some phone calls and see if I can't get out to some of the upcoming trials to watch -- thanks again!

curlykarot
Feb. 22, 2010, 09:57 AM
Happy Vagrant - try to see if you can find a schooling horse trial to go watch. Many of these have divisions below Beginner Novice that adults and kids participate in. They have many names (Tadpole, Elementary, Green-As-Grass) but they all do the same thing - introduce newcomers to the sport.

flea
Feb. 22, 2010, 09:04 PM
I would also talk to Ruth at Pine Hill in Bellville if that's not too far.

Halt Near X
Feb. 23, 2010, 12:01 AM
Thanks curlykarot and flea. Belville may be pushing it distance-wise, but it looks like Pine Hill has a schooling trial coming up. I think I'll try to make it out and watch, so I'll see what the drive is like then.

flabbergasted
Feb. 23, 2010, 05:06 PM
I don't think it matters if you go with a H/J trainer or an eventing trainer if the trainer is of a high quality. I divide my over fences lessons between GM and an eventing dude, and they are equally helpful - but I do think quality is paramount, so go with someone who has a really stellar repuation, and don't be shy about discussing your need to re-build your confidence. You want someone who is going to take the time to start you again in the basics and then go at a pace you are comfortable with. No rushing, no short cuts, and of course appropriate confidence building mounts if you don't have your own.

There may well be more H/J trainers to choose from who have school horses for you to use. Event barns often don't have them.

desertmyst
Feb. 23, 2010, 05:35 PM
Interesting....this summer I'm thinking of trying some other disciplines with my Saddlebreds...I might go check out the eventing at Pine Hill!!!

Are there any trainers north of Houston?

archieflies
Feb. 24, 2010, 10:02 PM
PM COTHer Sonesta. She's in Cypress and may be a good place to start. Not sure if she still does any eventing, but I believe she has in the past.