PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh, I was bored and found a possible project....

Couture TB
Feb. 21, 2010, 07:13 AM
So I buy horses when I am depressed. This guy is only 1hr from me and they will let him come for almost a 30 day trial. Right now I can't ride, but was thinking of buying him for a project for a student of mine for her to ride and me to instruct her on to better her abilitys as a future trainer. I was thinking nice little low level dressage horse or eventer. They say he stands about 15h so that means anything between 14-16h:lol:

Though the good news is that the TB I sent down to KY for a trainer I know to sell for me since I can't ride right now, her insturctor told her sell your horse that is going I and by this one!

Couture TB
Feb. 21, 2010, 07:23 AM
It helps to post a picture! http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm205/MattsonTraining/coleJPG.jpg

SonnysMom
Feb. 21, 2010, 12:07 PM
He is not my cup of tea.
I don't like the dip on his neck just in front of the withers. I am not fond of his shoulder.
I know you don't ride the head and maybe it when he muscles up it will look more in proportion but my first thought is coarse.

hb
Feb. 21, 2010, 02:16 PM
I think he's cute. Would be a nice little project.

kookicat
Feb. 21, 2010, 02:37 PM
He looks like he's still growing. I don't see anything majorly wrong with him, and if he's a nice personality, I bet he would make a nice project. How old is he?

SEPowell
Feb. 21, 2010, 04:28 PM
See how his hip and SI joint are way out of line? I would worry about that if you hope to do lots of jumping.

BigRuss1996
Feb. 21, 2010, 05:26 PM
How old is he? He appears to be part Perch or Friesan or a draft cross along those lines. He also appears to be young but looks can be deceiving. I guess it all depends what you want to do with him. For lower levels like BN/N and below he should be okay granted he can jump. Then you have the factor of what sort of mover is he? If he is very light on his feet then he won't be as hard on himself as one with a ground shaking canter would be. As others have said he doesn't have the most desirable build but again at the lower lower levels that isn't really an issue.
I would definately find out what breeds he is a cross of and decide if you can work with those personalities. Alot of drafts can be very stubborn and opinionated....they aren't for everyone.
Personally...and please don't take offense but I don't think people should buy horses because they are bored or depressed. Especially young horses they need alot of direction and time put into them to live up to their full potential.....Just my opinion...

Couture TB
Feb. 21, 2010, 05:46 PM
The depressed part is kinda a joke. It seems that when I am 'down' I buy a new project to cheer myself up. My student was hoping for project for the summer and I figured if he was ok well I have the money and there is her project. He is a Spanish Sulpher. It all depends on how he moves,how good he is under saddle, etc. If he does not have a great brain, ok movement, or when seen in person any huge confo. faults then we may take him on trial.

Little Valkyrie
Feb. 21, 2010, 06:52 PM
See how his hip and SI joint are way out of line? I would worry about that if you hope to do lots of jumping.

Yep, that is the first thing I saw as well. He already has the beginnings of a Hunter's Bump, so I don't think he will hold up for much jumping at all.

ThirdCharm
Feb. 21, 2010, 07:59 PM
Not sure I'd take him even if he was free. I definitely would not pay for him. I have turned down three or four much nicer looking free greenies this winter.

Jennifer

Ajierene
Feb. 21, 2010, 08:09 PM
pshaw, I know a much cuter project looking for a home...

First impression, he strikes me as homely, nothing special. He may be a great little horse for an amateur, though.