PDA

View Full Version : Boarding in Lexington, KY

BigMick
Feb. 20, 2010, 08:32 PM
Hello!

Two gals at my barn will be leaving for college this fall at UK. They are both taking their horses with them and need to explore their options in the Lexington area.

Both of these young ladies are responsible, academically-focused, and good horse owners. They are both on academic scholarship so school will be priority #1. I only mention that as I know many people would pale at the idea of two girls away at school for the first time...

They are seriously just lovely young ladies and such a pleasure to board with!

Anyway, they are seeking places to board that are safe, eventing focused (or tolerant), close to school, and offer both full care and pasture board. One of the girls pasture boards and one has her horse on full care and I'm sure they want to continue that level of care.

One of the girls would also be interested in working part-time to help off-set board costs. (It's not a requirement though - just an option).

I think they would both do best with a facility that isn't too demanding or rigorous. They aren't trying to actively compete while at school and may not always be able to take regular lessons. So a facility that caters to those trying to climb the levels or that mandates regular lessons may not be ideal. Again, they're focused on their studies and are both well-aware that taking their horses to school is an enormous privilege in itself.

Suggestions??

Would any of these be ideal?

Champagne Run
Three-Day Farm
Team CEO
Antebellum

thanks!!

eventersmom
Feb. 20, 2010, 08:47 PM
We just went through this very same process for our college bound daughter. There are some lovely farms in the area, many of whom would meet your criteria. My daughter chose Three-Day Farm and is very excited to move there this fall.

I'll shoot you a PM!

cbsh13
Feb. 20, 2010, 09:00 PM
I have been at UK for 5 years now and boarded at a variety of different places. I have been at Antebellum for almost 2 years now and it has by far been the best! It's mainly eventers but there is a variety for sure. It is pretty much right next door to the horse park and very close to Masterson. Great barn manager who is also the onsite trainer. It is amazing and I totally reccomend it. They offer every kind of board you could want. I do pasture board and pay extra for my horse to be fed 2x a day...I also can rent a stall monthly during the winter if needed and that's been great. PM if you want more info! Only down side is no indoor...oh well!!

FoxChaser
Feb. 20, 2010, 09:00 PM
You have a PM :)

tempichange
Feb. 20, 2010, 09:02 PM
I have been at UK for 5 years now and boarded at a variety of different places. I have been at Antebellum for almost 2 years now and it has by far been the best! It's mainly eventers but there is a variety for sure. It is pretty much right next door to the horse park and very close to Masterson. Great barn manager who is also the onsite trainer. It is amazing and I totally reccomend it. They offer every kind of board you could want. I do pasture board and pay extra for my horse to be fed 2x a day...I also can rent a stall monthly during the winter if needed and that's been great. PM if you want more info! Only down side is no indoor...oh well!!

And crappy, uneven footing.

cbsh13
Feb. 20, 2010, 09:24 PM

really?? I haven't noticed...but I am an eventer. They drag the ring everyday and really try to keep it in working condition throughout the winter. They have jump fields which have a variation in terrain but that shouldn't bother anyone who has ridden x-country. There aren't any holes or major issues that I've ever seen. Yes, right now it's muddy from all the melting snow but I think that's just about everywhere.

BigMick
Feb. 20, 2010, 09:48 PM

I appreciate all feedback, but if you have some criticisms, just send me a PM.

thanks!

tempichange
Feb. 20, 2010, 10:03 PM
really?? I haven't noticed...but I am an eventer. They drag the ring everyday and really try to keep it in working condition throughout the winter. They have jump fields which have a variation in terrain but that shouldn't bother anyone who has ridden x-country. There aren't any holes or major issues that I've ever seen. Yes, right now it's muddy from all the melting snow but I think that's just about everywhere.

I evented for a number of years, I still condition my horses out in the same manner.

I boarded there for about three to four years. There is a shallow end and a deep end of the outdoor. It also slants to the right and has bits of the base coming up. Good footing should be leveled, and be uniform in depth. Dragging would not, could not fix this.

Lindsay28
Feb. 21, 2010, 12:16 PM
I sent you a pm BigMick :)