PDA

View Full Version : I would totally, totally wear this in dressage and think it looks great.

deltawave
Feb. 20, 2010, 06:49 PM
I loathe tight collars around my neck. Stock ties are seemingly beyond my capabilities to "do" properly, and fake ones, although I have several, just never look right.

I was searching for something else on Ebay (I have a paisley addiction) and I saw this. It's totally goofy for "normal" wear, but wouldn't this look awesome with a dressage jacket? :D A nice, comfy open collar and one of these for style. :yes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Classic-suave-style-black-paisley-casual-formal-ascot_W0QQitemZ230396083710QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_M ens_Ties?hash=item35a4ad3dfe

IFG
Feb. 20, 2010, 07:13 PM
I have one like that that I wore to work in the 1980's, sort of like in when Harry met Sally. Sorry, I cannot look at this one without remembering that dreadful style, nor the British riding instructor that wore those to the awful riding school in NYC to teach every day.

kookicat
Feb. 20, 2010, 07:14 PM
I like this one too :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230396067397#ht_1873wt_1165

deltawave
Feb. 20, 2010, 07:18 PM
I don't like the high collar version, but DANG the thought of a little bit of "zip" in my neckwear is just about irresistible! Deep, deep down inside this non-fashionista is someone who really wants to have a little bit of not-in-your-face-too-much fun dressing up for horse shows. :D

I just might have to do it. Anyone know how to tie one of those things? :eek:

ddashaq
Feb. 20, 2010, 07:22 PM
I love those! Sadly, I can barely manage a stock tie so I am pretty sure one of those would be out of the question. They do look really nice, though.

3dazey
Feb. 20, 2010, 08:04 PM
Wow, DW, methinks you must be descended from British aristocracy?

YIKES...an ASCOT??? :eek::lol:

Mary in Area 1
Feb. 20, 2010, 08:15 PM
DW, you are FAR too intelligent to be confuzzled by a simple square knot: Right over left, then left over right. Tighten then flip over the ends and pin.

I look up to you in so many areas, don't fail me NOW on THIS!!!

Flying Hippotamus
Feb. 20, 2010, 08:31 PM
Right over left, then left over right. Tighten then flip over the ends and pin.

Umm...IT'S A SQUARE KNOT?! Why didn't anyone say so? I've been trying to follow that bad drawing that came with the tie for a year. But I'm an outward bound alum and a boy scout mom, I can do a square knot.

Maybe I'll see if I can find it and try it now.

deltawave
Feb. 20, 2010, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I know it's a square knot, and I can tie them pretty well. (to pass our surgical rotation we had to throw 100 "surgeon's knots"--which are square knots--in less than a minute, without looking, both with two hands, using instruments, and if you wanted a surgical residency, ONE hand) :D But although my sutures stay put, my stock always look sort of sad and lumpy. I think it's because I have an aversion to "poof" and always want to squash mine down, which kills the effect.

I'm not sure if this wouldn't be just as "poofy" and if you made it subtle it might still look sad and squashed. But the thought of NOT having something tight around my neck is so tempting.

British aristocracy, haaaa! More like immigrant proletariat. :D

deltawave
Feb. 20, 2010, 10:54 PM
See? It couldn't be simpler. :D http://suityourself.com/tie_a_ascot.asp People, you are witnessing the birth of a fashion trend in lower level eventing. :D

riderboy
Feb. 20, 2010, 10:56 PM
You see, men don't really have a "fashion option". Yes, I'm jealous. I have the same crappy white polyester men's tie I've always had.

Mary in Area 1
Feb. 20, 2010, 10:58 PM
I'm not big into "poof" either, but I always say I like my stock ties the way I like my men: long and stiff! :eek:

And, I don't like them tight, either!

deltawave
Feb. 20, 2010, 11:03 PM
Oh come on, riderboy, an Ascot IS a man's neckwear. Be secure in your manliness! :D Get one that's black with skulls on it or something. :p

Mary! :lol: :eek: :lol:

saje
Feb. 21, 2010, 06:16 AM
After looking at the Ascot directions, I realize that that's how I've been doing my "stock" tie all these years. :lol: Ooops.

So I googled "tying a stock tie" and lookee what came up, circa 2003! :

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24263

:D

Thomas_1
Feb. 21, 2010, 06:47 AM
I loathe tight collars around my neck. Stock ties are seemingly beyond my capabilities to "do" properly, and fake ones, although I have several, just never look right.

I was searching for something else on Ebay (I have a paisley addiction) and I saw this. It's totally goofy for "normal" wear, but wouldn't this look awesome with a dressage jacket? :D A nice, comfy open collar and one of these for style. :yes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Classic-suave-style-black-paisley-casual-formal-ascot_W0QQitemZ230396083710QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_M ens_Ties?hash=item35a4ad3dfe

If you want to look like you're about to star in Oscar Wilde's Imporance of Being Ernest then go ahead :winkgrin: :yes:

But to ride dressage :eek::no::no::no::confused::no:

For goodness sakes, I'm wondering how on earth you manage to tie your shoe laces!? ;)

How easy is it to tie a stock tie!?! Look and learn:

http://www.saddleshop.com/extras/stocktie.htm

saje
Feb. 21, 2010, 07:30 AM
Meh. Gotta say I've never had anyone - judge, TD, or other competitor, tell me that my tie was wrong. So long as you've got some sort of neckwear on and are clean and neat, I don't think anyone really notices.

Gryhrs
Feb. 21, 2010, 08:59 AM
DW......a snifter of cognac and a pipe and the look would be complete :)

You and Cary Grant could wile away the hours together talking about your sailing adventures or Badminton runs or whatever.

CBudFrggy
Feb. 21, 2010, 09:06 AM
Oh come on, riderboy, an Ascot IS a man's neckwear. Be secure in your manliness! :D Get one that's black with skulls on it or something. :p

Black with red flames? :winkgrin:

tempichange
Feb. 21, 2010, 09:10 AM
Why does that remind me of Huge Heffner? :D

riderboy
Feb. 21, 2010, 09:18 AM

I don't know, maybe if I went on the TV show "What Not to Wear" I could get help.

Eventer55
Feb. 21, 2010, 10:00 AM
Why does that remind me of Huge Heffner? :D

I'm sure he would be fine with Huge, he may even change his name, I think it's hysterical:lol::lol::lol:

BTW I love the idea of an ascot or a little color, I'm going to have to try it.

slp2
Feb. 21, 2010, 10:13 AM
Look--there are some options out there between "a properly tied stock tie", and looking like you are going to introduce Masterpiece Theater. Link is below. I used this last year and loved it. Not too "poofy" and doesn't require a pin, or any high level mastery of knots.

Now, keep in mind, this advice is coming from someone who openly admits that she wears a SHOW BOW (gasp!) I have a lot of hair and unless it's contained in a "net" I can't seem to get it neat looking (I tried to go "sans showbow once and actually had a dressage judge comment about it on my sheet).
Messagehttp://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-20189&ids=147512437

kookicat
Feb. 21, 2010, 10:24 AM
Look--there are some options out there between "a properly tied stock tie", vs. "cheesy ascot-y tie" (link to example below) I used this last year and loved it. Not too "poofy" and doesn't require a pin, or any high level mastery of knots.

Now, keep in mind, this advice is coming from someone who openly admits that she wears a SHOW BOW (gasp!) I have a lot of hair and unless it's contained in a "net" I can't seem to get it neat looking (I tried to go "sans showbow once and actually had a dressage judge comment about it on my sheet).
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-20189&ids=147512437

I have the same problem with my hair. I French plait it and loop it into a bun. With a hairnet over the bun, it stays pretty tidy. :)

slp2
Feb. 21, 2010, 11:54 AM
Kookicat: That would be assuming I could braid! Heh, heh, if there were a "Show Bow" my horses mane, I would totally use it (no matter how tacky!) But I am not very good at braiding a horses mane--let alone my mane! I cut deals to clean someone's tack in exchange for braiding whenever possible.

deltawave
Feb. 21, 2010, 12:24 PM
Again, it's not that I'm incapable of tying a stock tie. It's just that I don't like the way they look, and when I like how mine looks, that means it's choking me. And I'm all about fake ones and short cuts--I use RUBBER BANDS for braiding, after all! :D But they all just look . . . I dunno, fake. And again, secretly I just want to wear some paisley and have my little laugh. :D

Thomas_1
Feb. 21, 2010, 12:30 PM
Again, it's not that I'm incapable of tying a stock tie. It's just that I don't like the way they look, and when I like how mine looks, that mean's it's choking me. And I'm all about fake ones and short cuts--I use RUBBER BANDS for braiding, after all! :D But they all just look . . . I dunno, fake. And again, secretly I just want to wear some paisley and have my little laugh. :D OK I believe you.

If you want to look like Oscar Wilde on horseback, then I'd say go for it. :winkgrin:

kookicat
Feb. 21, 2010, 12:36 PM
Shame you're not closer. We could do a trade! I'd rather plait than clean tack most days. :D :lol:

Eventer55
Feb. 21, 2010, 06:50 PM
Ok, DW I have to tell you I'm going to start looking for an ascot. . . I love the idea and hey, so what if we get hired for Masterpiece Theater, or get mistaken for Robert Wagner:D

My instructor will not be happy though, I fear.

deltawave
Feb. 21, 2010, 06:56 PM
I'm totally doing it. Except ebay doesn't work today on my home computer (satellite psychosis) so I can't look at all the selections. Who knew you could find an ascot on Ebay? :lol:

I also think I have to find a collared shirt with no buttons to be "proper". (and I do use the term loosely)

God, there's no "neckwear must be white" rule, is there?

My trainer will go :rolleyes: and die. She's one of those tall, elegant types who looks like an ad from the (insert really nice show clothes name of your choice, you can tell I don't own any) catalog, especially when she's riding. :mad:

Lucyjane
Feb. 21, 2010, 07:20 PM
I have worn a blue ascot tied like a menswear tie at a schooling show, with matching pad, and braided ribbon browband...but, in my defense this was after going to the Dublin horse show and being inspired. LOL

A friend wore a very subtle one to a recognized show and was whistled over by the dressage judge, who told her it was inappropriate. So, unless your dressage is way better than mine, it might be a risk in some places. As my husband says though, if they have time to notice my tie then I must be doing something right. He seems fairly secure in himself though, as he wears a viking helmet cross country, and rides a Morgan/Belgian mare named Diva.

Frizzle
Feb. 22, 2010, 01:20 AM
I say go for it! At the Exquis Dressage Masters freestyle, one of the competitors was wearing a shiny, satin-y royal blue jacket and her music included Lady Gaga. Times, they are a -changin'!

Waterwitch
Feb. 22, 2010, 08:48 AM
Foxhunters wear colored stock ties with tweed for cubbing.

I would not recommend colored neck wear with black or navy unless it is a men's tie. Just sayin'.

Saskatoonian
Feb. 22, 2010, 09:04 AM
You mean someone out there might have crazier neckwear than mine in the D?! Do it! I've worn a white stock with navy pin dots with my navy jacket for about a decade and never had a comment from a judge other than "very nice turnout!" at a schooling show. You can't tell me an ascot is more flamboyant than some of the stocks in D catalogues. You'll have to post pictures.

monstrpony
Feb. 22, 2010, 09:07 AM
Three thoughts--

1) Basically I like the idea (that, and $3 will get you a Starbucks...).

2) Why not just tie your stock tie using the Ascot knot?

3) Just keep in mind that you do not want floppy collar points as you trot down the centerline.

deltawave
Feb. 22, 2010, 09:22 AM
Just keep in mind that you do not want floppy collar points as you trot down the centerline.

As long as they keep time with everything else that's flopping (hands, elbows, chin, ankles, etc.) then it's all good. :D

Fence2Fence
Feb. 22, 2010, 09:29 AM
I like it. go for it.

GotSpots
Feb. 22, 2010, 11:18 AM
In answer to the other question, you can get away with a pale colored stock tie in the dressage - I regularly wear one that is white with a pale blue pattern with a navy coat, and I've seen a number of very attractive pale plaids (e.g., white background, pale red or green grid). Not going to get you to all kinds of wild, but they tend to look nice and if well tied, polished.

As for an ascot, well, er, um . . . carry on, then.

Heinz 57
Feb. 22, 2010, 12:07 PM
I just wanted to point out for DW's sake that there is more than one KIND of stock.

There's the kind you're probably used to seeing - http://www.gallopssaddlery.com/images/stocktie_lg2.jpg

the 'european' kind -
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/EquestrianCollections/WC00006-a?$oldimage$

and the 'waterfall' kind, which I can't seem to find a picture of. Its not all starchy-folded looking like the others, but soft folds and poofs. Very pretty.

I learned of these when I was shopping for a custom stock. They also come in lots of different, very neat fabrics (and colors!).

Worth checking out if you chicken out on the ascot. :)

deltawave
Feb. 22, 2010, 12:59 PM
I may chicken out at the ditch and wall, but I'm not going to chicken out over neckwear! :D Horse show attire in general needs to remove the collective stick from its arse--I'm just planning to do my small part. :p

Zephyr
Feb. 22, 2010, 03:47 PM
The rule book just says "Shirt--white or light color, with stock and pin, or choker, or tie" but nothing about the color of the stock/choker/tie... so it looks like you're legal!

deltawave
Feb. 22, 2010, 10:45 PM
Ok people, what is NOT to like about this one? It's even PRE-TIED, for pity's sake! Not loud, not poofy, and no weird shirt to buy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Gold-Paisley-Paul-Malone-ASCOT-TIE-HANKY-PLV16H_W0QQitemZ200377057317QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea7674025

I think I'm getting this one. What the heck to do with a free, matching pocket square, I have no idea. Maybe a very fancy boot-polishing rag? :D

I think it will look simply SMASHING, darling, with the little spotted chestnut horse. Now to find a saddle pad to complement it . . . hmmm . . .

scubed
Feb. 22, 2010, 11:12 PM
Perhaps this? http://www.horsesnriders.com/MicroSuede_Dressage_Pad_with_Metallic_Braid_p/pd538.htm

or this

http://www.dressagestars.com/isabell_royal_ii.html

slp2
Feb. 22, 2010, 11:19 PM
yep--both of those would look fabulous! I've always loved black on chestnuts but with that bit of paisley "flair" on DW's neck--I think she needs to go with the gold saddle pads too. :D

scubed
Feb. 23, 2010, 08:39 AM
Or she could go black with a touch of gold (especially if her jacket is black not navy):
http://www.foxsdentackshop.com/mod/ecs/index.php?ViewProduct=1795

http://www.tackwholesale.com/dressage-saddle-gold-silk-rope-trim-closeup2-343.html

ssachter
Feb. 23, 2010, 08:46 AM
FITS has a great video on their website on the stock tie page on how to tie a stock tie. It breaks it down very simply. Cut and past this link into your browser then click on the red text at the bottom of the page that says "How to tie a stock tie" in red letters: http://www.fitsriding.com/stocktie.php

SBClancy
Feb. 23, 2010, 11:10 AM
Deltawave - If I were eventing at this time I would be right there with you wearing an Ascot. In the lower levels why the hell not. Let's have some fun.

deltawave
Feb. 23, 2010, 11:20 AM
I CAN TIE THEM, PEOPLE! I just don't like them. :) I wanna have some fun, have my little "tempest in a teacup" laugh, and I like paisley. :D

I like that black/gold pad. :yes: (the quieter one) Duly ordered. Ready for show season NOW, baby! :D

sch1star
Feb. 23, 2010, 11:38 AM
go, go, go DW! Have some fun!

And for the rest of you - thanks for the amazing links! You find some great shopping sites! I know, I shouldn't, I shouldn't....

Saskatoonian
Feb. 23, 2010, 04:06 PM
I had to check this thread out again because I think it's a scream, and then realized that I didn't wear my cute pin dotted stock at all last year because I only did one day horse trials and - being of the "no tight neckwear" ilk myself - simply didn't wear my jacket. Voila! No neckwear! Cute button down shirt, breeches, and I'm done. Ahhh, freedom! DW, the ascot would be smashing, but really, isn't it easier to find a cute shirt? A little subtle something. Brooks Bros makes all cotton with some sort of no-iron stuff. Brilliant.

deltawave
Feb. 23, 2010, 05:20 PM
Hmm, "subtle" kind of defeats the purpose of paisley, IMO. :D I don't like doing dressage without my coat--too many things bouncing. :p And it's RARELY that hot in Michigan. I can only remember ever having jackets waived for dressage once in recent years.

Saskatoonian
Feb. 24, 2010, 08:50 AM
Oh, dear no - "subtle" is strictly for the shirt. Flamboyance is the entire raison d'etre of paisley! I hate wearing my jacket, so the rule change making jackets optional at all one day HTs was a gift to me (except in May, when it's likely to be 40 deg). So when does the new neckwear debut?

deltawave
Feb. 24, 2010, 10:37 AM
Probably May-Daze, unless I can convince some people that going to a show in Kentucky in early April is a good idea. :)