PDA

View Full Version : Hunter/Jumper barns in Kitsap county, WA

Tilly
Feb. 20, 2010, 06:53 PM
I've served my time here in SoCal :lol: and am going to be moving back up to my home state early this summer. I've been going sans trainer for the past six months but am looking to find one after the move.

I'm 16, have been riding since I was 5, with a background equally spent in dressage, hunters, and equitation. I considered myself an intermediate rider, I can work a horse properly on the bit and can deal with most naughtiness, but I'm by no means an expert and I still have a lot to learn. My position definitely needs some work :o.
I'm very solid on the flat but shaky over fences higher than 2'6" [after a few very bad trainers, I lost my confidence :no:]. In the past I have jumped up to 3'3". I have an Oldenburg gelding who was a First Level dressage horse but is bred for jumpers and has the right mindset to do equitation, which is something I really enjoyed when I was still showing. I'm going to try to turn him into my equitation horse, I'll start him back up over fences this spring [they did 3' with him at a sale barn, so he just needs a refresher course, which I'm capable of handling, thank God, as I don't like the local trainers down here. Not sure yet if I want to get back into the show ring, it depends on how things go, I guess :cool:

I'd like someone who is good with people who are nervous about the bigger fences but isn't a total hand-holder, I do best with a trainer who is firm and will push me a little, but someone who has no patience for a girl who won't just hop over that 3'6" oxer won't work :lol:. I also want someone who's at least registered with the USEF so that they at least know the rules etc if I want to show, no multi-purpose, western/saddleseat/driving/hunter trainers either.

So, I'd like to know who you ride with and who to avoid, along with what barns to check out/avoid. Also, if there are any good clinicians around? I'd love to hear about them, and does anyone know when/where GM goes, if he does indeed go to that area?

TIA :winkgrin:

ETA: also, I'm willing to trailer up to 45 minutes to get to barns, so it doesn't have to be in the immediate area. I used to board at a barn that was nearly an hour away and I went out every day, so traveling isn't a really big deal.

crazy gray horse
Feb. 20, 2010, 08:57 PM
When I lived in Port Orchard, I trailerd up to Sandamar Farm in Poulsbo. Karina Hogan is now the head trainer there. They travel to 6-8 'A' shows a year and also do some schooling shows. Karina has a good background in dressage and european showjumping. She's a wonderful trainer.

There are other barns and I'm sure others will pipe up on them. You could check out www.flyingchanges.com (http://www.flyingchanges.com) also.

jaybird
Feb. 20, 2010, 11:48 PM
I second the vote for Sandamar Farm. I've been riding there for the past 3 years and I heartily recommend Karina Hogan. She is a very talented rider and an amazingly gifted instructor. And a great person to work with. The atmosphere at the barn is really friendly and fun, but we work hard too.

PNWjumper
Feb. 21, 2010, 12:25 AM
Where in Kitsap County are you headed?

If you'll be in the Poulsbo/Bainbridge/Kingston area I would say Maple Ridge Farm (http://www.woodsidestables.com/2aboutus.htm) in Kingston. They're really the only eq-centric barn around here that does the big(ger) shows regularly.

If you'll be down in the Port Orchard/Gig Harbor area I have quite a few suggestions on the other side of the bridge.

If you're looking for a dressage trainer I work with an INCREDIBLE woman from Sequim who comes over here frequently. She does amazing things for my big jumpers (and me!). I can PM her information to you if you'd like.

twotrudoc
Feb. 21, 2010, 02:38 AM
Anni Grandias barn is in Vaughn, about 15 minutes from Gig Harbor. She does eventing and is an excellent jump coach. Her students do very well and she is very active with the Pony Clubbers. I believe she also either puts on or helps put on a couple benefit shows each year. There are teenage girls all over that barn!

http://grandfarms.net/default.aspx

The facility is great, big huge indoor and outdoor, cross country trails and jumps. Horses all really well taken care of.

Slewdledo
Feb. 21, 2010, 03:08 AM
Another one to add is Blue Heron Farm in Poulsbo. I don't think they have a website, though. I'm not sure who the instructor is there now. But they do do hunter/jumpers!

Tilly
Feb. 21, 2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks everyone!
We're looking at houses in Poulsbo, Bremerton, and Port Orchard [we have 4 horses and prefer to keep them at home so it's making the search a little more difficult :winkgrin:]

Tilly
Feb. 22, 2010, 11:33 AM
bump :winkgrin: anyone else?

chirojerry
Feb. 22, 2010, 03:18 PM
We live in Port Angeles on the Olympic Peninsula. There are many horse properties for sale in the area between here and Pt Townsend. My daughter shows hunter. She trains with Nancy McCaleb at Living Well Farm. We have to travel to show but enjoy the schooling shows at Sandamar and Bainbridge Island Saddle Club. My daughter is going to a clinic at a new hunter barn called Whacky-Nut. You might want to check that one out. Ditto what the other posts said as well.

Good luck Jerry

Ps there are many C and A rated shows on the I-5 corridor around Seattle

SeaPony
Mar. 29, 2010, 04:02 PM
Try ccfsporthorses.com

Cutter Creek Farm is a brand new facility (indoor arena is not finished yet) but its gorgeous there. I know Annie Alvord and she is super nice and her students all ride beautifully. Im hoping to take some lessons from her this summer.

CR Gorge Girl
Mar. 29, 2010, 10:38 PM
Sandamar. :)