PDA

View Full Version : Stallions in Aiken

not again
Feb. 20, 2010, 03:15 PM
So am I the only one to send a stallion to Aiken to event? I am so excited to have my boy down there to compete, and must say the horse and rider are having a blast! :yes: (If only shoveling snow up here in Pa. was as much fun! :lol:) Anyway, it seems a great way to pretend that winter will end soon and hear results as they come in. Come on spring -- get here too!;)

lcw579
Feb. 20, 2010, 05:07 PM
I see he's in 3rd place so far! Congrats. I have a soft spot for all the Abundance descendents since I rode/boarded at Skyline. I have to ask: is Aloysius named for someone we both knew and loved?

Tasker
Feb. 20, 2010, 05:50 PM
:) I'll be nosy & answer for mom (not again) as it was a family decision to name "Louie" Aloysius! We thought it was only fitting to give a nod to the past with a fourth generation descendant. :) He's been a delight from day one...

not again
Feb. 20, 2010, 06:30 PM
How cool!
We think of the fun times and wonderful horses from Skyline Farm very often, so of course Louie is named for Al. One of my favorite quotes from him regarding horse training: "Never teach them something you want them to forget."
Louie's dam is by Again and Again, who was out of Nobody Much (Ruxton's dam). Avebury's father was by Adamant, who was by Abundance out of Villa May, a mare we got from Al.
The first time I personally saw Abundance was at the Nannau-Bryn Lea event near Radnor Hunt. Al jumped him around a post on a flagged fence line in three strides: absolutely amazing!

not again
Feb. 21, 2010, 01:59 PM
So according to the unofficial live scoring from Paradise Farm HT Avebury has finished on his dressage score and is third. Now I am really happy but wish I could have been there!

lcw579
Feb. 21, 2010, 02:11 PM
Congratulations!

I remember both those mares! As a kid our favorite time of year was when the mares would drop their foals and we could go out in the field and visit the babies.

As I told Eileen recently I was so spoiled as a girl and didn't even know it. I thought all barns had a stallion like Bundy and the gorgeous youngsters too. It was a shock when I grew up and realized that wasn't how it was at all barns.

not again
Feb. 21, 2010, 02:44 PM
Thanks! Ryan is very excited to bring Dillon (Avebury WF) along in the event world, and the horse seems to thrive with him. They are a very happy pair, to say the least.
Our little (well not very) colt is very stuck on himself and should mature into something Al, and Eileen, would be proud of. Here is his pedigree:
http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?z=8lNhqJ&d=aloysius+wf&x=35&y=9

lcw579
Feb. 21, 2010, 03:38 PM
I have a feeling that Al is very pleased already. I look forward to seeing how he matures. I hope you keep the updates coming - although I do admit to stalking your website when I'm feeling nostalgic. Love the picture of Al and Abundance jumping the logs. How he always managed to smile at the camera like that is amazing!

not again
Feb. 23, 2010, 07:29 AM
So, pictures are up!
http://www.hoofclix.com/Paradise-Farm/2010-02-21-USEA-Horse-Trial/RyanWood311OBN-B/11316181_xtbDY#795106852_BhdDu
Somehow it looks weird to to see the ground without giant mounds of snow!