PDA

View Full Version : Deworming Barn Cats without Loosing Appendages? Profender?

tabula rashah
Feb. 20, 2010, 09:45 AM
I like to keep the barn cats dewormed on fairly regular basis. However, getting dewormer into kitties that aren't handled that much can be- well, limb threatening ;) Anyone ever used Profender (the topical dewormer) on their barn cats? Did it seem effective? Any side effects?

JSwan
Feb. 20, 2010, 09:52 AM
You need a cat sack.:)

bird4416
Feb. 20, 2010, 09:53 AM
There is a product called Revolution that deworms and defleas. You put it between their shoulder blades. You have to get it from the vet though.

ReSomething
Feb. 20, 2010, 09:55 AM
DH built a cat crush.
Honestly, it's a lidded box with a hole for the cat's head and he built it after the catgot an abcess and needed antibiotics. We could have gone injectable I suppose, but holding them down for that isn't too fun either.

Zu Zu
Feb. 20, 2010, 10:09 AM
I have vet visit to vaccinate all barn and house cats & apply the "rub in" on the shoulder blades type ~ highly recommend it ~ only good results noted here !

Horsegal984
Feb. 20, 2010, 11:32 AM
Profender sould have been named 'Profinger' ;) Seriously, awesome stuff. More complete deworming that Revolution, and doesn't need a repeat dosing because of the way it works. The clinic I work for has started giving it annually to cats that go outside at their visits instead of checking a fecal. It's about the same cost, and it works so well, and so low stress for the cats!

Katherine
Vet Tech

clint
Feb. 20, 2010, 11:34 AM
There is a product called Revolution that deworms and defleas. You put it between their shoulder blades. You have to get it from the vet though.

Revolution won't kill tapeworms, but Profender will. I think I would rather worry about putting something between the shoulder blades than down the throat. ;)

2ndyrgal
Feb. 23, 2010, 11:14 AM
My small animal vet had no clue. Where are you guys getting it?

McVillesMom
Feb. 23, 2010, 11:39 AM
Profender is made by Bayer, the same people that make Advantage (and a whole bunch of other stuff, obviously). I'm surprised your vet hadn't heard of it - the company sales reps usually really promote this kind of stuff! You may be able to purchase it online too - SmartPak and Drs Foster and Smith don't seem to have it, but look around. :)

clint
Feb. 23, 2010, 11:46 AM
If you google Profender, you can find online vet places who sell it, but it requires a prescription. In my area, we have a small animal vet service that comes to pet stores on weekends and will put it on cats, so I'm assuming it is fairly easy to obtain.

twofatponies
Feb. 23, 2010, 12:08 PM
The cat box is a great idea!

My makeshift version of it for pilling reluctant cats is: act casual. scruff cat. drop to knees and drag cat between your knees, using your legs and knees to restrain and your feet closing off any escape to rear. grasp head with left hand, raise nose. Use thumb and big finger to pry mouth open. stuff pill in with right hand. release.

the whole process works best if done very quickly and heavy pants are probably recommended.

it worked on my formerly feral not very cuddly cat and also on my "over confident" (pretty aggressive!) Maine Coon.

tabula rashah
Feb. 23, 2010, 02:27 PM
If you google Profender, you can find online vet places who sell it, but it requires a prescription. In my area, we have a small animal vet service that comes to pet stores on weekends and will put it on cats, so I'm assuming it is fairly easy to obtain.

No prescription needer- You can actually buy it on Amazon

Anyway, I got ordered some the other day- will post a report on how it goes
:)

clint
Feb. 23, 2010, 02:35 PM
No prescription needer- You can actually buy it on Amazon

Anyway, I got ordered some the other day- will post a report on how it goes
:)

Good to know. It is certainly expensive, even worse than Drontal, although keeping ones appendages is always good.

Ben and Me
Feb. 25, 2010, 09:49 AM
Profender sould have been named 'Profinger' ;) Seriously, awesome stuff. More complete deworming that Revolution, and doesn't need a repeat dosing because of the way it works. The clinic I work for has started giving it annually to cats that go outside at their visits instead of checking a fecal. It's about the same cost, and it works so well, and so low stress for the cats!

Katherine
Vet Tech

I'm not sure how I feel about this, in light of the parasite resistance that we're seeing in our horsey friends after this protocol of deworming for so many years. Horse medicine is moving in the direction of small animal medicine (fecal checks, then deworming if needed) and I guess small animal medicine is moving towards equine medicine? ;)

AEM74
Feb. 25, 2010, 02:28 PM
Whenever I have to get something down my cat's throats I get a bath towel and wrap them up like a burrito, leaving only their screaming heads exposed. It helps to have two people - one to hold the cat and another to administer the meds. Good luck!

Fairview Horse Center
Feb. 25, 2010, 02:38 PM
Some winter jacket sleeves work great. Stuff kitty into sleeve (it helps of they can see their "way" out, and they try to get out thru wrist hole, but can only get their heads out before they get stuck. :lol: Then you just hold the sleeve to keep them from backing out until the deed is done. :cool:

I can usually just scruff the kitty, but I find most people are too timid using that method, and they really don't zone them out enough.

The pill poppers I have had are useless.

Another method us to use any teenager that needs a lesson in humility for holding/popping. :eek::D

godiva13
Feb. 25, 2010, 02:48 PM
has anyone used Profender and Frontline Plus on the same cat. is there any problem with them together having an adverse reaction since they would go on the same spot?
thanks Sonya

JoZ
Feb. 25, 2010, 02:53 PM
I should rent myself out as a cat piller. If I can catch a cat I can get a pill into it.

Oddly enough, my indoor/tame/snuggly house kitties HATE HATE HATE to get their flea meds put on the back of their necks. I hate it too. There has to be some technique to it -- I have trouble getting and holding a "part" in their hair so skin is accessible. I am surely not going to attempt that with the barn kitties. So far I don't treat them for fleas, and I worm them with pills. I probably SHOULD treat them for fleas but again, not going there with the hair parting nonsense.

kellyb
Feb. 25, 2010, 03:08 PM
DH built a cat crush.
Honestly, it's a lidded box with a hole for the cat's head

We are going to need pics of this, preferably with pissed off cat installed into said box. :lol:

LauraKY
Feb. 25, 2010, 03:11 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this, in light of the parasite resistance that we're seeing in our horsey friends after this protocol of deworming for so many years. Horse medicine is moving in the direction of small animal medicine (fecal checks, then deworming if needed) and I guess small animal medicine is moving towards equine medicine? ;)

But if you live in heartworm country, you really should be giving heartworm preventative, which is a dewormer. No way to get around it. Revolution is used for heartworm, several other types of worms and ear mites.

MassageLady
Feb. 25, 2010, 03:56 PM
Put cat in small dog carrier, mix wormer in delicious canned cat food-put in carrier with cat-wait until done.:lol:

runningwalk1984
Feb. 25, 2010, 04:04 PM
Does Profender work for tape worms? I recently picked up a stray w/ them, and he does NOT seem like the kind of cat that will be easy to force feed a pill to!

Buffyblue
Feb. 25, 2010, 04:05 PM
My vet has something called "Pill Pockets." Supposedly yummy treats that you hide a pill in. I haven't tried it on my spoiled rotten indoor cats, but it might be a good idea for a barn kitty.

runningwalk1984
Feb. 25, 2010, 04:06 PM
My cats all take such dainty little bites that I doubt a pill pocket would get something by them. But, I guess you never know until you try! :-)

clint
Feb. 25, 2010, 04:06 PM
Put cat in small dog carrier, mix wormer in delicious canned cat food-put in carrier with cat-wait until done.:lol:

I have totally charming and friendly domestic cats who would let you come back and find their little body laid out in a carrier, riddled with starvation, before they would eat a pill in any kind of food, let alone canned cat food. :D Besides, those pills are so expensive that I want to personally see it disappear down their throat.

For anything but a feral, I find that serious scruffing, combined with my handy dandy pilling gun, can get just about anything down.

clint
Feb. 25, 2010, 04:10 PM
Profender works for tapes, roundworms, and hookworms.

I have never had a cat like pill pockets enough to put a pill in it and know it will work. However, I like them for really nasty stuff like Flagyl, because I can put it in the pull and then put it down their throat and they won't taste it. I make the pill pockets very small once I have the pill in it, however.

SuperSTB
Feb. 25, 2010, 04:20 PM
I should rent myself out as a cat piller. If I can catch a cat I can get a pill into it.

Oddly enough, my indoor/tame/snuggly house kitties HATE HATE HATE to get their flea meds put on the back of their necks. I hate it too. There has to be some technique to it -- I have trouble getting and holding a "part" in their hair so skin is accessible. I am surely not going to attempt that with the barn kitties. So far I don't treat them for fleas, and I worm them with pills. I probably SHOULD treat them for fleas but again, not going there with the hair parting nonsense.

LOL- cat piller- love it. I think you should put that after your name like a doctor :D

I do the cat burrito for pill dispensing but the flea/dewormer application between the shoulder blades. You'd think being such a common ritual that the cat would just be used it by now.

Anyone have a severe cat drooler? My big moose of a cat gets so traumatized every time. He tenses up his body stiff as a board and does this space out thing and drools and drools and drools. He does NOT get cat burrito'd as I think he'd just die. Poor guy makes me feel so freaking guilty!