PDA

View Full Version : Roberto for eventers ???

vineyridge
Feb. 19, 2010, 02:24 PM
Do any (many?) of you have Roberto close in your eventers, doesn't matter where.

I've been working with the Chronicle's Horses in Sport on jumps racing horses, and the number of winners who have Roberto lines is staggering. One very productive nick seems to be using Darby Dan's His Majesty with Darby Dan's Roberto. I've found lots of Dynaformer, Kris S, Red Ransom and Lear Fan. Not so many direct Roberto daughters.

Now I'm wondering if Roberto line horses are (or should be) as prevalent in eventing as they are in chasing.

Might be biased, since I have a double Roberto mare that is going to start me eventing.

cllane1
Feb. 19, 2010, 02:39 PM
We have a Kris S. son who is awesome! He is my hubby's BN event horse.

Don't know if this is a Roberto thing, or a Kris S. thing (or both), but he likes to fight you a bit under saddle. He's never going to be very polished in dressage, I'm afraid to say!

Barnfairy
Feb. 19, 2010, 04:04 PM
One of my recent retraining projects, now moved on to a new home, is tail male Kissin Kris - Kris S - Roberto. He has the Best. Brain. Ever. 'Was decent on the track too til he fractured a sesamoid (from which he made a full recovery post surgery.)

yellowbritches
Feb. 19, 2010, 05:09 PM
Vernon is by Lear Fan.
http://www.pedigreequery.com/vernon+tiger

I would do just about anything to have another horse with breeding like him. Fantastic brain, super athletic.

Ibex
Feb. 19, 2010, 05:18 PM
This is my SWB/TB mare's dam. She put three sporthorse babies on the ground, all of which are eventers. Oldest is 7 and running training level. NancyM on this forum knows the mare, and said she was a very tough cookie!

http://www.pedigreequery.com/grace+and+favour

The original discussion had been more around her sire, Star de Naskra, but some interesting comments about how the mare's personality differed from a local SdN stallion owned by Nancy M.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235264

And I know your mare, Grace and Favour...she was a lovely looking mare, so well bred, and won $100,000 or so at the track. [snip]

Grace and Favour was a VERY TOUGH mare, tough psychologically. I think that this was why she was sold at the sale, live cover with her was very difficult, dangerous even, for handlers and the stallion. Worked out OK for Angel, she AI's everything. I saw several of her offspring, the TB (a Silver Fox) she was carrying when Angel bought her, and several of the WB cross foals (probably yours) for the time that Angel had her. They were all very TOUGH horses, just like mom. [snip] The very "tough" disposition is well suited for racing, more difficult to deal with as a show prospect. I haven't met a lot of other Star de Naskras, other than my own, but suspect that this attitude with Grace and Favour came from her dam's line, not from Star de Naskra.

vineyridge
Feb. 19, 2010, 06:55 PM
Vernon is by Lear Fan.
http://www.pedigreequery.com/vernon+tiger

I would do just about anything to have another horse with breeding like him. Fantastic brain, super athletic.

Marcy is one generation out from Vernon. She is by a Lear Fan son, out of a mare whose tail male grandsire was Alleged. She is one of the sweetest horses I've ever met. Lots of races and after all of them--I think she didn't really try very hard--she has, to quote the vet, perfect joints at ten. We radiographed all of them. :) He was incredibly impressed with her beauty and temperament.

She is the dam of a filly by Triple Twist who inherited her lovely head and neck.

She and I will learn to event together.

WNT
Feb. 19, 2010, 07:10 PM
ME! Mister's dam is Roberto Babe, sired by Roberto. He has evented through Prelim and he is one of the boldest horses I've ridden XC. He gave me a lot of confidence over fences, and he is smart enough to when to stop (when I really screw up!). Very willing, and eager to please. His sire is Alleged, who I have also heard sired good sport TBs.

Here is a pic from a Prelim a couple years ago:
http://www.hoofclix.com/LochMoy/2006-07-16-MHT/Jessie-McCarty-72/1685516_z3C2y#82735290_LesEb

EventerAJ
Feb. 19, 2010, 07:13 PM
There's an older former-steeplechaser at our farm that is by Roberto; he hunted (staff) for years afterward. He's a little compact, chunky sort of horse, but cat-like and athletic...and with an endless supply of "GO!" He never evented (I don't think he'd do dressage, mentally!), but he was fabulous cross-country.

I'm currently working with a 5 y/o Sky Classic gelding out of a Lear Fan mare. He's also pretty athletic, great gallop, will make a solid event horse someday. Roberto in the pedigree is definitely something I like to see!

yellowbritches
Feb. 19, 2010, 08:19 PM
ME! Mister's dam is Roberto Babe, sired by Roberto. He has evented through Prelim and he is one of the boldest horses I've ridden XC. He gave me a lot of confidence over fences, and he is smart enough to when to stop (when I really screw up!). Very willing, and eager to please. His sire is Alleged, who I have also heard sired good sport TBs.

Here is a pic from a Prelim a couple years ago:
http://www.hoofclix.com/LochMoy/2006-07-16-MHT/Jessie-McCarty-72/1685516_z3C2y#82735290_LesEb
Ooooo.....I like the sound of THAT! Vernon's dam is by Alleged, so I'm thinking you can't go wrong with some form of that. Your guy is good looking!

AJ, your description of the hunt horse is pretty much exactly like I'd describe Vernon. He's not a big or lanky guy (16h and half an inch), but he's a little chunk of a horse with a massive gas pedal! And he's a bit of a freak with how handy and quick he can be (Even though we can't canter over a pole to save our lives :lol:).

I found out not too long ago that Vernon is from either Lear Fan's last crop or next to last crop. So sad. :( But I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for, umm, neices and nephews! :lol:

RnR
Feb. 19, 2010, 08:42 PM
My best friends event horse has Roberto in his pedigree.

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedigree.cfm?page_state=ORDER_AND_CONFIRM&reference_number=1604349&registry=T&horse_name=Lomberto%20(GB)&dam_name=Lamees&foaling_year=1993&nicking_stats_indicator=Y

He has evented through training level, and is very athletic at jumping. If he was younger, he could no doubt go higher. His dressage is his downfall, and he does have a pretty snarky attitude, but he's a neat guy!

JER
Feb. 19, 2010, 08:43 PM
I bought a young Roberto grandson a few years back. On his other side, he had Ambiorix way up closer than you'll ever see in a horse his age.

He could jump a line of 5' fences and was a nice mover. very handsome, too.

But...

Dumbest. Horse. Ever.

He was unbelievably unintelligent. A total moron. Did the stupidest things I've ever seen any horse do. Repeatedly.

Because progress was not possible with this horse -- every day was a brand new day! -- I found a home for him where a brain wasn't necessary.

RnR
Feb. 19, 2010, 08:47 PM
Strange, but I just realized... she just bought a new guy off of me, and he has Roberto too! VERY athletic, and a great mind. If she has the desire, he will no doubt do upper level eventing with her.

Here he is:
http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedigree.cfm?page_state=ORDER_AND_CONFIRM&reference_number=7523586&registry=T&horse_name=Shtarker&dam_name=Miss%20Du%20Bois&foaling_year=2005&nicking_stats_indicator=Y

WNT
Feb. 19, 2010, 08:58 PM
Huh, I just looked Mister up on Equineline (hadn't used it before) and I found out he won a race! I never knew that. Whaddaya know!

Sir William Lewis:
http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedigree.cfm?page_state=ORDER_AND_CONFIRM&reference_number=1447190&registry=T&horse_name=Sir%20William%20Lewis&dam_name=Roberta%20Babe&foaling_year=1994&nicking_stats_indicator=Y

Timex
Feb. 19, 2010, 09:02 PM
My prelim horse is a Roberto granddaughter, by a Roberto son, and I just love her! Great brain, terrific temperment, almost too smart, wicked athletic, is my kid's babysitter now, and I wouldn't trade her for the world. Her weak point was her dressage. She's a big mare, 16.3, and has a massive amount of bone, which I think she got from the dam's side. Can't say enough nice things about her, really.

ETA: I liked mare #1 so much, I have ended up with 2 more Roberto bred mares and am breeding my 2 broodies to a Roberto bred stud (including my Fleetwood Mac mare - that should be interesting!). Both mares I liked before knowing the breeding, so knowing they were Robertos (g'daughters) was just the icing!

vineyridge
Feb. 20, 2010, 10:00 AM
Most people who have posted have mentioned dressage being the weak point with their Roberto line horses. Both Halo and Roberto (Hail To Reason) have always been noteworthy for temperament issues (in Males).

I'm thinking that a Roberto crossed with a WB (I'm thinking here particularly of Stiletto for mares) would be a great event line. I thought about bidding on a breeding to the dressage Trak Apache for Marcy, but I'm too danged old to breed. They would have been a lovely match, since they are so similar phenotypically. SIGH!

yellowbritches
Feb. 20, 2010, 10:25 AM
i would not say that dressage is going to be a major issue with Vernon. He has a fantastic brain and wants to be obedient and willing. He can be naughty, but I think he is at his naughtiest when he has been forced to do too much dressage (he prefers a day or two in the ring, a day or two or three hacking, and a day or two jumping. Otherwise he gets BORED).

He will never be a worldbeater (he does have a fantastic, worldbeater canter, though) in the movement department, but I think he will be a horse you can make up points on for being dead accurate and precise on.

JER
Feb. 20, 2010, 11:10 AM
Are you talking about Stiletto the Trakehner?

If Stiletto passes on the Martini brain, it might be enough to offset a potential case of the Roberto stupids (after my experience, I learned the line was known for an occasional lack of brainpower -- Dynaformer is kind of a dope).

I had a Martini son (one of his early foals) and he was one of the most intelligent equines I've ever known. A bit funky in the conformation department (pigeon toes and odd feet, not unusual in this line) but he functioned very well and was a pleasure to have in the barn. He wasn't UL eventing material, however. (He was a 6-figure show hunter.)

vineyridge
Feb. 20, 2010, 11:37 AM
Yup. Stiletto the Trakehner. He's gorgeous, multi-talented, and has done it all.

After TBs, Trakehners seem to me to be the best choice for event breeding for the rest of us (those who aren't looking for Badminton horses) using NA stallions. They don't treat eventing as a second rate discipline. There are folks out there who think that event horses are the ones who can't do dressage and show jumping well. The Trak people actually breed FOR event horses. Probably the only German registry that does as a matter of course.

titan
Feb. 20, 2010, 11:53 AM
We imported a super event gelding from Ireland that was by the American bred Naheez (who was exported to Ireland). Naheez was a grandson of Roberto on top & Arts and Letters below and had a bunch of offspring chasing in Ireland. Our was super talented but a very difficult ride.

nappingonthejob
Feb. 20, 2010, 12:16 PM
My mare's dam is by Kris S. She is incredibly athletic, and almost too smart for her own good.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/legs+an+diamonds

AppJumpr08
Feb. 20, 2010, 12:29 PM
I have an event prospect (http://www.pedigreequery.com/sarai+one) who I'll be starting up in the spring - came off the track as a three year old and took a year to have a baby. She's a nice mover and is SO sweet and sensible. Not stupid - just doesn't get stressed about stuff. She was the easiest mare to wean I've ever had. And her colt is a chill little dude as well.
I'm excited to see how she comes along this spring.

Barnfairy
Feb. 20, 2010, 01:22 PM
I have an event prospect (http://www.pedigreequery.com/sarai+one) who I'll be starting up in the spring... Another Kissin Kris out of a Diamond Prospect mare -- the guy I was talking about was the same. "Chill" is so the right word! He is just so comfortable in his own skin, alone or in company, keeps himself out of trouble...if I could have I would have kept him for myself.

vineyridge
Feb. 20, 2010, 03:41 PM
AppJump08, your prospect is from a lovely FF-5e. It's Bonne Cause's and her daughters (of course), as well as several other lines of jumping talented horses. It's kind of interesting because MtDNA research indicates another founder mare of Northern European lines--probably-- than the one the GSB has for these mares. Most of the founder mares were probably of Oriental or Spanish extraction, just as were the stallions.

eventersmom
Feb. 20, 2010, 05:33 PM
We have a lovely mare by Kiri's Clown, out of Ransom Note (Red Ransom out of Darby Creek Nurse). I am surprised by the mention of dressage issues with Roberto horses. Our mare is a lovely mover and very good in dressage. She is also a talented jumper. She's been competed to BN but is schooling Novice/Training quietly.

I personally love Roberto in eventers and hope to breed this mare when she's finished eventing. She has a beautiful head and nice conformation. I only wish she were a smidge bigger!

AppJumpr08
Feb. 21, 2010, 09:08 AM
viney - thanks for sharing that!! I really love her - should sell her since I can't keep them all, but... *sigh*

Wendy - isn't that interesting your guy was the same cross - I guess I'll have to put that one on my list to watch out for!

Timex
Feb. 21, 2010, 09:17 AM
Re: dressage with roberto horses. My prelim mare hated it, I think she found it too restrictive. That being said, I could get her to do 3rd level work, as long as I convinced her it was HER idea. My other Roberto mare is sort of the same way. She's just been hacking around, but the same idea, doesn't like the restrictive feeling. Its almost like they're both so independant that they want to do it on their own. Both are totally capable, nice movers, with fabulous temperments, but its a quirk that I've seen with both of them. We'll see if the Roberto bred yearling I have is the same way.

nappingonthejob
Feb. 21, 2010, 11:54 AM
Timex - I notice the same dislike of being "restricted" with my girl. If it's her idea, life is good. When she's really up, I often just ride her bitless because her french link snaffle is just too offensive :rolleyes:

yellowbritches
Feb. 21, 2010, 08:44 PM
Maybe the whole "restricted" feeling explains Vernon's preference for plastic bits.

Nomini
Feb. 21, 2010, 10:26 PM
I realized after seeing this tread the other day I have a Roberto great-grandaughter by Robertos Retorno. (her JC name is Robertos Coolotta, which I immediately changed when I got her!) Fantastic brain, very sweet, jumps me out of the tack. Brave as can be, did a season of Novice and going training in the spring. The breeder in Illinois where she came from had a few by the same stallion, and all the ones I broke (including mine) were intelligent and willing. Apparently the sire has produced a few good jumpers out in the midwest as well.

eventersmom
Feb. 22, 2010, 10:23 AM
Maybe the whole "restricted" feeling explains Vernon's preference for plastic bits.

Very interesting. I never thought about the restricted thing. We use a Nathe for our girl and she's much happier in it.

MajMeadowMorgans
Feb. 22, 2010, 10:33 PM
http://www.pedigreequery.com/caitlins+call

This is a mare I have been considering getting. I really like her in person an on paper. Opinions?

IrishWillow
Feb. 22, 2010, 11:28 PM
I just bought this guy. He'll turn four in April.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/im+a+one+and+only

*Technically* he's a quarter horse, but he is more than half TB bloodlines.

Timex
Feb. 23, 2010, 07:05 AM
And my big mare goes in a rubber snaffle most of the time. My younger mare is a little more forgiving, and will go in just a simple egg butt, but you really *dont* want to take more than a light contact with either mare, they both get wicked pissy.

MajMeadow, I like the mare on paper, when do you go get her? ;)

And don't worry, Irish, we won't hold the qh lines against your boy. Lol. I don't know much about qh breeding, but I like the tb lines he has! Good luck with him!

lalahartma1
Oct. 30, 2010, 11:59 AM
I stumbled upon this guy. :)

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2867:rare-roberto&catid=271:gulf-south-trainer-listings&directory=379

http://www.pedigreequery.com/rare+roberto

arnika
Oct. 30, 2010, 07:42 PM
He's very good looking.

caryledee
Oct. 30, 2010, 08:06 PM
I owned a gelding by Seattle Slew out of a Roberto mare. He was about 17.3 and had absolutely the best mind you could want in a horse. I don't recall him ever putting a hoof out of place; he never used his size to his advantage. Totally cool horse.

kinnip
Oct. 30, 2010, 08:20 PM
I have a Roberto grandson by Our Dear Sue. I purchased him for dressage. He has a lovely, calm mind. He's not the sharpest tack in a barn full of Arabs, but he really tries. He knows what "Good boy" means, and he likes it. Timex, I have found he likes to think things are his idea, but he's not too hard to fool. It hasn't been all rainbows and ice cream cones with him, but I'd buy another in a heartbeat. He just has soooo much try. Once he gets something, he offers it readily.

EventingJ
Oct. 30, 2010, 08:40 PM
hmm.. mine has no Roberto, but does have SdN. She is smart smart smart, teach her once and shes generally got it. Likes to think about things. Does not have an "eff you" or an "eff off" button... shes a passive aggressive horse, if anything, - she will just ignore me, but never gets b!tchy about it at all. Hope to finish next year at Novice, and move to Training the year after, if all goes well.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/the+jolly

vineyridge
Oct. 31, 2010, 08:56 PM
All of you with Robertos who have mentioned the distaste for restrictions through the mouth, I have a question for you.

I was just reading the new blog about the Dynaformer/La Ville Rouge full brother to Barbaro. They had a a couple of pre-race photos and his tongue was very long and completely lolling out of his mouth, even though he was wearing a figure eight noseband. I have a double Roberto mare with a very long tongue, and it doesn't matter what bit she has, her tongue is always lolling out of her mouth.

I don't know if it's racing related, since my girl had 63 starts and was probably tongue tied for most of them--maybe--or inherited. I do know that my mare's daughter had that same tongue. It's almost as long as an anteater's. :) The daughter died before she was started, so her proclivity for tongue lolling is unknown.

So, please, you folks with Roberto descendants--what kind of tongues do they have? And do they keep them in their mouths?

yellowbritches
Nov. 3, 2010, 08:19 AM
I stumbled upon this guy. :)

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2867:rare-roberto&catid=271:gulf-south-trainer-listings&directory=379

http://www.pedigreequery.com/rare+roberto
We called about him. Is there anyone in that area who'd be willing to maybe go take a peek at him for us, watch him jog, maybe get some clear pics/videos of his legs? The boss and I are pretty comfortable with just having him sent up if it gets to that point, but the farm owner isn't quite as sure about buying horses sight unseen.

lalahartma1
Nov. 3, 2010, 11:07 AM
We called about him. Is there anyone in that area who'd be willing to maybe go take a peek at him for us, watch him jog, maybe get some clear pics/videos of his legs? The boss and I are pretty comfortable with just having him sent up if it gets to that point, but the farm owner isn't quite as sure about buying horses sight unseen.

I'm glad!! You might want to cross post this question.

libgrrl
Nov. 3, 2010, 11:22 AM
I have a big gelding out of a Roberto mare that *should* have been an eventer. I tried to make him a hunter instead. Stupid me.

And coincidentally, he is out of the same dam as WNT's horse!

eventersmom
Nov. 3, 2010, 11:29 AM
So, please, you folks with Roberto descendants--what kind of tongues do they have? And do they keep them in their mouths?

Oh my goodness! :yes: Yes! Our girl has a freakishly long tongue and becomes foot stomping, head tossing furious when she can't go around with it stuck out. I never made that connection. Thank you!

yellowbritches
Nov. 3, 2010, 11:58 AM
I'm glad!! You might want to cross post this question.
Don't think we're going to bother with getting someone out there now. I talked to the trainer this am and like what I heard. The boss and I rehashed all the horses we've gotten sight unseen, so we're willing to take the risk. Just trying to figure out how to get him from LA to MD! I totally thought he was in FL. :lol: Waiting for a few shippers to call back with quotes.

Timex
Nov. 3, 2010, 02:55 PM
viney, to answer your question, my old mare will sometimes stick her tongue out a bit, although she doesn't have what i would consider a long tongue. it's definitely thicker than some of the other horses of different bloodlines, but not longer. and my other 2 Roberto breds have 'normal' tongues.

lalahartma1
Nov. 3, 2010, 06:29 PM
Don't think we're going to bother with getting someone out there now. I talked to the trainer this am and like what I heard. The boss and I rehashed all the horses we've gotten sight unseen, so we're willing to take the risk. Just trying to figure out how to get him from LA to MD! I totally thought he was in FL. :lol: Waiting for a few shippers to call back with quotes.

That is awesome! If you do get him, please follow up with photos and news. :)

Cayusepapoose
Nov. 3, 2010, 07:36 PM
I have a gelding by Arch that is a tongue waggler. If he wants in, if he wants out, if he wants a piece of carrot...out comes the tongue; only on the right side. But if I move around to his left side he'll follow me around so that he can make sure I see that dang tongue waving at me. He's also very athletic for the size of him and a quick study for anything new.

Barnfairy
Nov. 3, 2010, 10:34 PM
My Kissin Kris son has a boringly normal tongue. He happily keeps it within his mouth sans noseband, which is great, because I have too many horses and that's just one less buckle to buckle.

There is another part of his anatomy, however, which is exceptionally large. :o

caffeinated
Nov. 4, 2010, 10:20 AM
CANTER has a nice mare right now, with GIANT ears (http://www.canterusa.org/images/stories/mid-atlantic/canter-horses/Ears_Head.jpg), who is a Roberto great-granddaughter (through dynaformer... her dam is "Dyna Ruth")

:)

lalahartma1
Nov. 4, 2010, 07:46 PM
Heh, cute!

Equilibrium
Nov. 6, 2010, 02:34 AM
We imported a super event gelding from Ireland that was by the American bred Naheez (who was exported to Ireland). Naheez was a grandson of Roberto on top & Arts and Letters below and had a bunch of offspring chasing in Ireland. Our was super talented but a very difficult ride.

I've been around 2 Naheez horses here and I really loved them both!

Terri

Equilibrium
Nov. 6, 2010, 02:47 AM
Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread. I think in the sporthorse breeding section I have discussed Roberto's before and his sire line. Really when I go to a yearling sale I can usually spot the Roberto and Sadlers Wells line a mile off. Reason being as they always appeal to me in a sporthorse way. Just something about which they are made and both seem to stamp their stock which you can't say about some sire lines. I can also usually pick out the Danehill lines pretty easy because of things I don't like.

We had an Intikhab filly here with us last year who at first I thought was a whack job. She really was mental for awhile, but after the sales she was give a couple of months off turned out and to grow up a little. And while she probably would always kill you with a kick if you weren't paying attention, she was very smart and had a wonderful work ethic. I guess for me, I don't care what a horse does in his own time, nor if they are difficult, if they have a work ethic and enjoy work, you will have fun with them and they are usually talented.

I would always by something from the Roberto line for sport. I used to have a Robellino mare from female family 2-f, the aloe line. She was in foal to Manhattan (The Nijhof version) but when a downsize happened earlier this year, I gave her to a really good person in England who did both sporthorses and racehorses. I keep in contact with him and am really thinking about buying that Manhattan back. That horse should be made for eventing.

Terri

lalahartma1
Nov. 6, 2010, 03:23 PM
Just won the Breeder's Cup Turf Sprint:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/chamberlain+bridge

camohn
Nov. 6, 2010, 04:23 PM
Do any (many?) of you have Roberto close in your eventers, doesn't matter where.

I've been working with the Chronicle's Horses in Sport on jumps racing horses, and the number of winners who have Roberto lines is staggering. One very productive nick seems to be using Darby Dan's His Majesty with Darby Dan's Roberto. I've found lots of Dynaformer, Kris S, Red Ransom and Lear Fan. Not so many direct Roberto daughters.

Now I'm wondering if Roberto line horses are (or should be) as prevalent in eventing as they are in chasing.

Might be biased, since I have a double Roberto mare that is going to start me eventing.

generally they have plenty of ability and a good jump...so it is not an issue there. The problem is the temperment....which is about 50/50. Half have lovely personalities and half are "difficult".

DQ Eventer
Nov. 7, 2010, 10:34 PM
I've been really happy with my guy!! Won the 4 year old E. Coast YEH in 2009 and is now in England for the year. Fantastic mind, big heart, and a great ride too!

http://www.coyotecreekfarm.net/Accolade.html

Small Name Trainer aka SNIT!
Nov. 9, 2010, 01:07 AM
They just won the first two spots at the Galway CCI 1* long format...their dam was Regalbatim, by Regalberto,by Roberto and obviously, I think they make damn fine eventers! They have no issues with tongues, dressage, soundness and their dam was a gift from god. I have her daughter by Rampal to continue with and she is not for sale ever, as she is the only female I have left out of this good mare. :D

iloverocky
Nov. 13, 2010, 04:00 PM

We were able to get new photos and some video of Rare Roberto; he's still available, so any of you looking for your next eventer, please check him out. His trainer was telling the volunteer that he LOVES to work; he thrives on getting out and doing a job.

vineyridge
Nov. 13, 2010, 05:40 PM
Roberto has certainly had a good last month in the racing world as grandsire.

First and second in the Breeder's Cup Classic, first in the turf sprint, first in the Juvenile (dirt), Dynaformer is damsire of Prince Will I Am, who was disqualified in the Marathon but would have finished second.

First in two fall timber races in Virginia (He's A Conniver), first in the Juvenile Hurdle at Cheltenham this weekend.

zzred
Apr. 12, 2011, 02:31 AM
JER wrote of her Roberto grandson... "Dumbest. Horse. Ever. He was unbelievably unintelligent. A total moron. Did the stupidest things I've ever seen any horse do. Repeatedly. Because progress was not possible with this horse -- every day was a brand new day! -- I found a home for him where a brain wasn't necessary.".
I must disagree JER . MY ROBERTO GRANDSON IS THE DUMBEST HORSE EVER.

Yours could at least make it to the arena, mine cannot even walk down the same boring dirt path he's seen for 2 years without spinning, bolting, freaking out every freakin day at the SAME THINGS. It's the mirror on the car, or the trash can, or the horse down the path, or NOTHING. He can't go to shows, can't get in a trailer, can't even relax after a ride. He will find something, ANYTHING to freak out at.

I had his vision examined by vets (perfect), he gets exercised a great deal every day. Still, he's 15 and can't go on a simple basic trail ride. He's thrown 6 people. I've had everything evaluated by professionals (he usually just tricks them into relaxing and as soon as they do he bolts at something and off they go).

He's a disaster. You did the right thing in finding yours a place where he doesn't need a brain, because it isn't in there.

He's friendly, loving, snuggly, calm on the ground. The second you get on he's looking for something to be scared of, even when he's tired, it's truly awful.

I call him a 'supermodel' because he's gorgeous, but he can't DO anything.

buschkn
Apr. 12, 2011, 03:37 AM
I see that this is an old thread dredged up from the dead. BUT, I bought a Lear Fan (by Roberto) gelding off the track and did some jumpers with him and sold him to a friend who events him and he is GREAT. Very athletic and able, nice mover and jumper, big bone, sound, sweet, sensible. Funny, he does stick his tongue out, which never occurred to be to be inherited. I'll have to tell her about that. But for an event horse, you'd be hard pressed to find one with more potential.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/jink (http://www.pedigreequery.com/jink)

vineyridge
Apr. 12, 2011, 11:51 AM
The Celle State Stud (Hannoverians) now own a Roberto GGrandson TB stallion named Mt. Etna. Apparently they may think that he would be a good dressage cross! But I can't read German, so not certain that's what they say.

caffeinated
Apr. 10, 2012, 03:13 PM
just bumping this back from the dead in hopes of enabling someone who might want a broodmare:

Witchy Krissy (http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5917:witchey-krissy-13-yo-broodmare&catid=49:charlestown-trainer-listings)

:D

armyeventer
Apr. 11, 2012, 08:44 AM
I just bought a five year old, unraced TB gelding that's got Roberto (Kris S). He's VERY independent and seems very smart, but he's definitely got a stubborn streak. I think he's going to be interesting to work with.

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedigree.cfm?page_state=GENERATE&reference_number=0&registry=T&horse_name=&dam_name=&foaling_year=&NICKING_STATS_INDICATOR=Y&sire_reference_number=4053342&dam_reference_number=6478181&color=Dark%20Bay&sex=Colt%20&hypo_foaling_year=07&breeder=

caffeinated
Apr. 11, 2012, 08:49 AM
I just bought a five year old, unraced TB gelding that's got Roberto (Kris S). He's VERY independent and seems very smart, but he's definitely got a stubborn streak. I think he's going to be interesting to work with.

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedigree.cfm?page_state=GENERATE&reference_number=0&registry=T&horse_name=&dam_name=&foaling_year=&NICKING_STATS_INDICATOR=Y&sire_reference_number=4053342&dam_reference_number=6478181&color=Dark%20Bay&sex=Colt%20&hypo_foaling_year=07&breeder=

Ooh, Wheaton too! That was a beautiful stallion.

It's interesting, a horse that was in our program was sired by Wheaton, with Roberto on her dam's side. She was (is, rather) quite nice/beautiful/sporty. :)

armyeventer
Apr. 12, 2012, 12:08 PM
I think I got a good deal on my fellow. His bloodlines seem to make him suitable for eventing. Hopefully his mind will follow suit!

Nick O
Apr. 12, 2012, 01:51 PM
We just bought a couple months ago a new eventing prospect, a 4 yr ISH with sire lines of Roberto, Kris S & West Cork. Beautiful & good brain! Loving his dressage days (very easy from day one on bit acceptance!) but definitely loving his xc schooling playdates too! We also have a 4yr mare in for backing/training, different dam, same sire lines, very easy to work with and also very easy on bit acceptance. Both started by 16yr son!

Nick O
Apr. 12, 2012, 02:05 PM
Here is 4yr ISH 2 weeks under saddle, Sirelines Roberto, Kris S, West Cork. Not too shabby on bit acceptance after 2 weeks under saddle :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUE0Bg892Vg