PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on Stirrups for Knee Arthritis

TexasAggieEventer
Feb. 18, 2010, 03:01 PM
Howdy Fellow Eventers!

I was recently diagnosed with arthritis in my knees and wanted to get opinions on some different stirrups out there on the market and I know I can always get great feedback on this forum!

I currently have the Herm Sprenger Original 4F stirrups on my jumping saddle but I still experience knee pain after a bit.

Does anyone else experiencing knee pain or arthritis have any thoughts on the following stirrups:

Royal Rider Flex and Non-Flex: http://www.bitofbritain.com/Royal_Rider_Jump_25_Flex_Stirrup_p/9374.htm

MDC: http://www.bitofbritain.com/MDC_Ultimate_Stirrup_Irons_p/9810-9811.htm

Sprenger Bow-Balance: http://www.bitofbritain.com/Bow_Balance_Stirrup_from_Sprenger_p/924298.htm

Metalab Air System: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-07017&ids=336601645&bhcd2=1266522833

Tack shops are somewhat limited in options so I wanted to get some opinions before ordering some online to try.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Linda

pharmgirl
Feb. 18, 2010, 03:34 PM
I tore my MCL in my right knee years ago, and have always had some issues riding b/c of my funky knee/leg conformation.

I got the MDC Ultimate stirrups for knee and back reasons, and I love them! (bought them during one of VTO's sales :)) I feel like they have really cut down on my discomfort, esp. after doing a lot of jumping or two point. Because of my anatomy, I like the option of the angled eye for the leathers.

ryansgirl
Feb. 18, 2010, 05:55 PM
Another vote for MDC Ultimates :yes:. I tore my ACL and meniscus in my right knee almost five years ago and riding in regular stirrups (especially when jumping) was painful to say the least. The MDC's have helped a ton. They flex but not a lot so they don't feel unstable like a lot of the others can. Definitely worth the price :yes::):yes:.

Auburn
Feb. 18, 2010, 06:00 PM
I second the MDC ultimate stirrups.

I know that they work for me. I forgot to change the angle of the right iron before I rode x-country. When I finished the course and was walking back to the stall, I could not figure out why my right knee was so sore. My DH had run up my stirrups, so I did not make the connection. When I started cleaning my saddle, I saw the left one still turned on an angle and the right one in the straight position.

Before I jump anything, turning the top on both stirrups is on my checklist.

archieflies
Feb. 18, 2010, 06:24 PM
NO feedback on stirrups, but just wanted to point out that I, too, am a Texas Aggie eventer. :) Whoop!

albigears
Feb. 18, 2010, 06:35 PM
I just ordered these:

http://www.pennystackoutlet.com/fistirwepad.html

They're wedge stirrup pads that are supposed to help take the torque out of your knees. I'm just going to try them in my regular stirrups.

subk
Feb. 18, 2010, 06:54 PM
I still use regular stirrups even though the doctor assumed I was always in pain after looking at my MRI. I have found that keeping fit with some biking does an incredible job keeping me pain free on and off the horse. Talk to your doctor about how appropriate it is for you.

SuperEventer
Feb. 18, 2010, 08:05 PM
I have knee pain from an old injury, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Royal Rider flex stirrups. They are incredible! They have taken away my knee pain while jumping, galloping, etc.

evntglwyr
Feb. 19, 2010, 11:57 AM
I tore my ACL years and years ago -- before new fangled stirrups. It took me a long time to think that different stirrups might make an impact but I am a beliver now! I was very very skeptical but out of desperation tried the HS Bow Balance -- I got them 2-3 yrs ago from Dover on sale and they are fantastic! I am no longer cripple after dismounting! I do have to say that they are the only modified stirrups that I have ever tried so I am not sure if a less expensive or different pair of similar stirrups would have as much impact. I love them and recommend them!

Trixie
Feb. 19, 2010, 12:04 PM
Another vote for the MDC Ultimates - I really like them, and have had knee problems in the past - they do help.

indygirl2560
Feb. 19, 2010, 01:00 PM
I have knee pain from an old injury, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Royal Rider flex stirrups. They are incredible! They have taken away my knee pain while jumping, galloping, etc.
same here! I absolutely love my Royal Riders! They flex but not too much, so they don't cause more pain like some flex stirrups do from overflexing; they only eliminate the pain! They're pricey but I highly recommend them!

kch7238
Feb. 19, 2010, 02:11 PM
I also have arthritis in both knees. I have had MDC Ultimates for over a year and they make a big difference. Good luck!

TexasAggieEventer
Feb. 28, 2010, 06:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I really appreciate it! I've narrowed it down to the MDC and Royal Rider. I'm hoping someone around here has a pair that I can borrow and take for a few test rides.

How often does VTO have their big sale?

Thanks again!

BEARCAT
Feb. 28, 2010, 07:35 PM
I know they're not on your list, but check these out:
http://www.k-val.com/materiel_d_equitation/etriers-awantec-p-205.html

They are always in the correct position, have a slight slant and a safety design - brilliant!
Have been using them for a couple of years. (I've had 2 knee surgeries and a broken leg...)

NJRider
Feb. 28, 2010, 08:20 PM
Call MDC directly and ask about their factory seconds. They are a great deal, and are not advertised. They are stirrups that have a slight flaw in the coloring, or a scratch etc, Nothing that affects the workmanship.

sisu27
Mar. 1, 2010, 09:22 AM
same here! I absolutely love my Royal Riders! They flex but not too much, so they don't cause more pain like some flex stirrups do from overflexing; they only eliminate the pain! They're pricey but I highly recommend them!

Me three! I have always had bad knees and had to have surgery last summer (torn cartilage and mild mcl tear). The Royal Riders seem to help.

flabbergasted
Mar. 1, 2010, 03:44 PM
I think it depends on what type of movement bothers your knees. My knees need stability (lateral motion is a real killer for me), so I ride in very traditional solid iron stirrups. I have tremendous pain after riding in any of the new varieties that flex.

Haf N Haf
Mar. 2, 2010, 01:50 PM
Pelham Saddlery will let you "test" ride their MDC stirrups for a week before you decide to buy (or not).

Perfect Pony
Mar. 2, 2010, 03:42 PM
Me three! I have always had bad knees and had to have surgery last summer (torn cartilage and mild mcl tear). The Royal Riders seem to help.

Add me to the list of people with a bad knee. The only stirrups that help are the Royal Riders - I have the flex for jumping and the regular for dressage. Love them both

Steif
Mar. 3, 2010, 07:11 PM
Royal Rider of Italy also has a stirrup testing program, call them at 1.800.800.4261 or on the web at www.RoyalRiderStirrups.com

garypierce
Aug. 14, 2010, 11:02 AM
I had the same problem in the past but now is gone :)