PDA

View Full Version : What would you do (or have you done) for horse $$$ (spin-off)?

eventer_mi
Feb. 18, 2010, 01:36 PM
Since some of the replies on the "what job do you have" thread have me vastly entertained, and Lynn suggested it, I ask you all:

What would you do, or have you done, to make some horse money (or money for horses)?

Myself, I volunteered in college for some, um, psychiatric studies where they paid you to ask you a bunch of questions. I also did some VO (voice overs) for tech training films.

What would I do? Well, if I had the body I once did (and didn't appreciate it when I had it!) I'd strip for some cash for my pony. If I had to. I understand the money is quite good, and all those dancers are all nurses and teachers attending school anyway ;), right? Just ask them.

staceyk
Feb. 18, 2010, 10:04 PM
I moved from a 1200 sq foot apartment to a 400 square foot apartment to buy my first horse. I co-wrote a book (very inefficient way of making $$, but there were other perks). Mucked stalls.

Eager to hear what others say!

klicup
Feb. 18, 2010, 10:09 PM
I milked cows at a large dairy (450 head) on the overnight shift (extra pay) for several years. They milked 3x a day, and it took 8hrs to get thru the herd. then the next shift would start. I was 19yrs old and am a small woman. I knew nothing about cows...but BS'd my way (pun!!) into the job.
My co-worker was the goat who hung out with me; he was the only one that understood why I was doing what I was!

FLeckenAwesome
Feb. 18, 2010, 11:05 PM
Well.... I am finally at a point in my life where I have the time, have the money, have the horse going, and am going myself.... I got through vet school and worked at an emergency clinic just out of school. My dream job, but it included nights and weekends... Every weekend!! Finally worked up to having every 4th weekend off, which was awesome. Then I finally got a new job where I have every other weekend off, the money is good, and.... life is good. The horse and I are going Training and looking to be set for the
T3D in the Fall.. the AEC's are even in my home state... .

and my husband is told he has to move to California or lose his job. So... we're taking the severance pay and he's going to try to do his lifes dream....which is going to be a HUGE paycut! Sigh.....

But.. I'm bound and determined to keep showing and competing while I can. So... my plans are to...
pick up as many extra shifts as I can at my clinic, pick up relief shifts at other clinics, and work at the humane society's doing the spay and neuters and also doing the rabies clinics and stuff.

I'm also seriously considering getting another job at the feed store or something, although... the pay won't be near what I'm making now, so... we'll see. I'm lucky in that I now work a week on and a week off. Sure... I work 84 hours in one week, but I get a whole week off! So.. instead of riding that whole week, I may have to find other jobs to do.

Would seriously consider stripping if I wasn't so shy, the husband wouldn't kill me, and I hadn't gained those extra 5-10 pounds this year.

I'm also wondering about the medical transcription thing..... anyone know anything about that?! I'm up late and often doing nothing at work... might as well be typing right/!?!

jesposito
Feb. 18, 2010, 11:22 PM
Cleaned pools at a water park in the mornings...I got to play with neon pink pool chemicals ("scum spray") and be a human lightening rod when it stormed (though luckily they usually let us stop if we were in the water with our giant metal cleaning poles and it started storming). It was good for some extra money, was a decent workout, and let me ride/teach in the afternoons and evenings, but after seeing some of the stuff I did, I wasn't quite as keen on waterparks...found some pretty unique and special items in the pools!

lstevenson
Feb. 18, 2010, 11:29 PM
and be a human lightening rod when it stormed

:eek::lol: Boy that job had sure better pay well!!

piggiponiis
Feb. 18, 2010, 11:33 PM
My ex-husband was spending my horse money on blasphemy like TV's and motorcycles.

olympicdreams04
Feb. 19, 2010, 12:30 AM
The real question, for me atleast, is what WOULDN'T I do for horse money. I really can't think of much. I wouldn't kill someone. I wouldn't whore myself out (there may be some fine print here regarding hot male riders). I wouldn't sell my soul...maybe a rent to own deal though. I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize the well-being of my horse. Other than that, just about anything is fair game. In January, I landed a 5 MORNING a week ridiculously well paying job. I may in fact be the luckiest girl alive as I now have every weekend and afternoon off and have the money to actually make use of those. However, much of my spare time and money will be going to traveling instead of competing this year, but my big horse will continuing moving up the ranks as steadily as ever I have no doubt, and maybe even go Advanced soon. Anyway, until this year, I have done anything and everything possible and necessary to be able to afford to compete. I have worked for UPS, alot. Delivering packages, driving trucks, all hours of the day and night, in upstate NY, in the winter. I have ridden anything with four legs that they could strap a saddle to and have broken babies of every size, shape, color, and breed from million dollar TBs and high dollar sport horses to plugs and rogues in someones back yard. I have and still do occasionally ride bulls in jackpot rodeos. Depending on how many rounds, I have been able to rake in literally THOUSANDS of dollars in 8 or 16 or 32 seconds. Beat that. I have worked in haunted houses scaring the hell out of people from 6pm-2am only to get up and be at the track at 5 am. I have ridden races, ponied races, run horses to the paddock for races, hauled to races, and just about anything else you can do at a racetrack. I have worked overnight printing books, caring for sick foals, and waiting on mares. Anything, and I mean anything, all in pursuit of the dream.

PixelGraphixDesign
Feb. 19, 2010, 12:40 AM
I'll never tell. :)

PixelGraphixDesign
Feb. 19, 2010, 12:41 AM
and my husband is told he has to move to California or lose his job. So... we're taking the severance pay and he's going to try to do his lifes dream....which is going to be a HUGE paycut! Sigh.....
Where in Cali?

FLeckenAwesome
Feb. 19, 2010, 12:58 AM
Menlo park area. And... as nice as it would be weather wise and having Confetti Farms appaloosa's closer!!!!...... it's still not something we both want. We're southerners at heart! Ga peach through and through :) Plus... theres' not as much eventing over there right?!

Hee hee.... tv's and motocycles...ha! though I'm sure my husband is saying that I'm spending his tv and playstation money on the horses ;)

There is talk about a race track in Georgia, which would be great. I would love to exercise ponies and help out, but... it won't be soon enough I dont' think. Plus it may not be in my area.

As of now, I'm going to try to get a bit more cash doing health certs and coggins... May try to see if anyone needs occasional barn work or horses ridden. May have to start working shifts at the feed store...I'm trying to get rich quick with an invention too ;) Hee hee.. Seriously though.. how does that work?!

graytbmare
Feb. 19, 2010, 06:53 AM
By day I am someone's slave at my marketing job. I do everything they dont want to: interview scary people, call angry business owners, and drive around upstate ny :) I keep telling myself that its paying the bills. haha kinda

By night I work retail to help pay for my habit (horses have to be way more expensive then most drugs!?)

And in my spare time I sell everything I dont need on craigslist or ebay. Cleans out my tack box and helps pay for shows.

Also proctor high school SATs and PSATs.

Oh and Ive been debating selling spare body parts. Anyone know how many entry fees a kidney will cover?

FLeckenAwesome
Feb. 19, 2010, 06:59 AM
I seriously considered selling some eggs. I hear those go for good money! But... apparently I'm too old ;)

Donating plasma is supposed to be good money too I hear....hmmm... if it weren't for the darn needles!

deltawave
Feb. 19, 2010, 08:03 AM
I wish I'd had the chance to donate eggs when mine were young and desirable. :D I went through the process for myself when I was 34 and it was really cool--I felt like Wonder Woman! And if I do say so, I make great babies. :D :D

I did donate plasma, ALL the time. Back then it wasn't great money, like $10-15 each time and it took several hours and it was a SCARY place in downtown Detroit. :dead: Between that and the fertility treatments, I have some serious needle tracks!

Stripping I don't think I could've pulled off, but the underwear model job was $50/hr. :p

clivers
Feb. 19, 2010, 08:30 AM
I've done literally every crappy job to pay for riding (working in a plastic factory, waitress, bartender, landscaper, obviously mucking+++, door to door sales etc.) but the absolute worst was when I took a job as a *gasp* SHOOTER GIRL at a strip club to make $$$ to get to the CCN at Radnor in 1995! I didn't last very long as I ran into my dentist getting a lap dance and got extremely creeped out.

In the end I missed Radnor anyway. Oh, and i didn't go to the dentist for 12 years. I still have a creepy-dentist-hands phobia!

Carried Away
Feb. 19, 2010, 09:22 AM
In addition to my day job, I bartend. The hours suck and not having a social life sucks too, but the money is great! It really is an invaluable skill that has helped me out in between jobs, etc. I learned how in college and have kept a bartending job since then, although I know it's not something I want to do forever-dealing with crazy sloppy drunk people and only having Sunday as a day off and spending it catching up on sleep isn't very fun, but it could be worse. Most places are reasonable enough to give you a weekend off every now and then for shows, but it's painful to think about the money you are missing out on and spending instead!

CookiePony
Feb. 19, 2010, 09:41 AM
When I was in grad school I did a few semen courier runs for local Standardbred farms. That's probably not a strange job to folks on this BB, but I did get some looks as I walked through Newark airport with boxes labeled DO NOT XRAY/ COOLED SEMEN. :lol:

eventer_mi
Feb. 19, 2010, 12:47 PM
I'll never tell. :)

Tease. :D

jesposito
Feb. 19, 2010, 01:39 PM
:eek::lol: Boy that job had sure better pay well!!

Haha I got the whopping minimum wage for that one...PLUS free waterpark admission, which I REALLY wanted to use after knowing what had been in those beautiful sparkling catch pool waters...
I think I'll stick with my current occupation of accounting grad student....not as exciting, but sanitary at least, and no more fear of conducting electricity.

Lori T
Feb. 19, 2010, 01:53 PM
I seriously considered selling some eggs. I hear those go for good money! But... apparently I'm too old ;)

Donating plasma is supposed to be good money too I hear....hmmm... if it weren't for the darn needles!

I am seriously considering donating plasma..I am RH negative, and I can earn $150 a week by donating twice. The only reason I haven't yet is because their hours suck..they are not open Fridays or weekends, so I would have to probably take an extended lunch from work.

Hey Mickey
Feb. 19, 2010, 03:12 PM
Well I'm about to take some dance lessons and start stripping. Why are the strip clubs a hour away from me?

I need to get into this plasma stuff..
I was going to sell my eggs, but after doing alot of research decided that that probably isn't for me, but its still a consideration.

pegasusmom
Feb. 19, 2010, 03:58 PM

Did that in my younger years. . .

Go Fish
Feb. 19, 2010, 10:20 PM
I am seriously considering donating plasma..I am RH negative, and I can earn $150 a week by donating twice. The only reason I haven't yet is because their hours suck..they are not open Fridays or weekends, so I would have to probably take an extended lunch from work.

So am I. Are you serious? I had no idea. I know the blood bank is constantly on me to donate, but I didn't realize I could make money at it!

FLeckenAwesome
Feb. 19, 2010, 10:25 PM
Hmmm... give us more details! I might have to get over my needle phobia ;)

Can you seriously donate plasma twice a week?! That doesn't drain you?!

deltawave
Feb. 19, 2010, 11:06 PM
Plasma is mostly water with some very useful proteins. :). A healthy person can crank it out by the quart, no problem.

FLeckenAwesome
Feb. 20, 2010, 12:40 AM
Good point! I was just thinking we get doggie plasma by separating it out of the blood, so... we have to get the blood to get the plasma, which means.... they really shouldn't donate twice a week!!
But interesting..... hmmmmm....

Lori T
Feb. 20, 2010, 04:14 PM
Just google blood plasma donor centers in your city.
Interestingly enough, this was part of a story on the Forgotten, a few weeks ago...it was about people who make their living from being a medical guinea pig. I don't think I could do more than donate plasma though. I used to have a fear of needles until I had 3 kids!

purplnurpl
Feb. 20, 2010, 05:32 PM
I was a house/pet sitter on the side.
I would live in other peoples homes, eat their food, use their electricity and play with their pets--all so that they could pay me!! Most of them had giant TVs too.

It was wonderful at the time and age.

I too did the phych thing in college like you.
I also work at a med school (currently) and I always look at the boards for paying studies.
Though about a year ago I did a 48 hour fasting study that was supposed to pay me 500 bucks but they kicked me out after 30 hours because my glucose bottomed out in the high 30s. I was only paid half. After that my body went through I hypoglycemic stage and I became really fat.

niccce. No more fasting for me! I can't even handle an over night fast for a blood test now.

If we all had to starve I would die first and you guys would live longer feasting on me. : ) lol.

PixelGraphixDesign
Feb. 20, 2010, 05:40 PM
Tease. :D
Haha. If you only knew how close you are to the truth. ;)

PixelGraphixDesign
Feb. 20, 2010, 05:48 PM
Menlo park area. And... as nice as it would be weather wise and having Confetti Farms appaloosa's closer!!!!...... it's still not something we both want. We're southerners at heart! Ga peach through and through :) Plus... theres' not as much eventing over there right?!

I'm sorry to say, no there's not as much eventing out here as back east, but it's my understanding that the few events that there are are pretty good. Some kids that I used to train (dressage) were into eventing used to go to it. I think this is it: http://www.twinriversranch.us/index.html

Menlo Park has great weather in the summer. Not too hot, cools down nicely at night. And it's a really pretty upscale area. I wouldn't mind living over there. I love the Bay Area.