PDA

View Full Version : It's Time Again!!! 3rd Annual COTH Rolex get together--BBQ at LAZ's campsite-- head #

pinkdiamondracing
Feb. 18, 2010, 08:14 AM
It's time to start the plans again, and once again I'm taking on the task of organizing our annual get together dinner. In the past we have gone off-site and been on-site, and both dinners were tons of fun!!
So let's make a plan for this year, are we geting together on-site, or off?? Are we gonna do potluck, or order pizza? Do we all wanna go somewhere and eat, like maybe Cici's, since they have a buffet with a salad bar for those who like to watch what they eat?
Post here what you'd like to do, and we usually go with whatever the majority chooses. Once we figure out what we are going to do, we then ask for a head count.

tuppysmom
Feb. 18, 2010, 10:07 AM
First off, I hope things continue on the right path for us to make it this year. We have missed the last two Rolexes, but everything is a go so far.

I am open to about anything so long as it is close to the HP. It will be last minute as to how many of us will be there,though.

olympicdreams04
Feb. 18, 2010, 02:20 PM
I vote potluck. There are enough locals that will attend to make main courses doable and all out of towners can bring things that are easy to pick up-veggie trays, cups and plates, paper goods, drinks, etc. On site I think is probably best as well.

deltawave
Feb. 18, 2010, 04:58 PM
I'm pretty easy to please food-wise, don't really drink, and so I'll go with the majority vote. I do plan on coming this year, since the whole WEG thing was just TOO daunting and confusing, both to volunteer AND to spectate. :dead: If my trainer makes the team I'll sneak in as a groom. :D

CookiePony
Feb. 18, 2010, 09:17 PM
I don't think I will make it this year. :( I am spending way too much on the WEG as it is, and I need to put every penny into doing the shows I have planned. But I will check back if I change my mind!

LAZ
Feb. 18, 2010, 09:34 PM
I'll be down from Wednesday on this year & am camping again. I probably won't want to go off site; I want to go watch the jumpers Saturday night!

scubed
Feb. 19, 2010, 08:28 AM
I should be there if all stars align. I vote onsite and would be happy to bring wine (or send along some even if I don't make it down, so I can be there in spirit)

LAZ
Feb. 19, 2010, 10:59 AM
I should be there if all stars align. I vote onsite and would be happy to bring wine (or send along some even if I don't make it down, so I can be there in spirit)

Wouldn't that be spirits? :D

wolfmare
Feb. 19, 2010, 01:51 PM
I've missed the last couple years-but will go last minute with that grounds/grooms pass thing if I can wrangle it and all stars align. Would love a COTH get together! On or off grounds would work equally well, although in the moment rain(rain at Rolex? Never!)would make a dry restaurant seem a bit more lovely.....

DLee
Feb. 19, 2010, 02:48 PM
It's hard to even imagine it right now with all this snow on the ground. :(

asbjockey
Feb. 19, 2010, 03:16 PM
I plan on finally making it to the COTH get together this year. I'll be coming down from the Chicago area, so I'll need to bring something that doesn't require refrigeration, maybe some baked goodies??

texang73
Feb. 25, 2010, 06:14 PM
Just found out I will be there! :D

Would love to come to the meet-up. But I will be flying in and have no rent car... Hmmm, dilemma. I am VERY easy to please food-wise and would be happy to make a small $ donation for food/ drink and or gas if someone can pick me up if it's off site...

RedMare01
Feb. 25, 2010, 08:24 PM
Hmm, I MAY make it this year. You guys get together Friday night, right? The last couple of years I've gone on Sunday. I'm local, so would have a car if anyone needs a ride to a restaurant out of the park.

Caitlin

scubed
Mar. 29, 2010, 02:31 PM
Just bumping this now that I have plane tickets and Rolex tickets. I will be staying on grounds with friends and will be providing 6 bottles of wine. Where/which night do we usually do this if we do it on site? Also, do we have a back up/bail out plan if the weather sucks?

pegasusmom
Mar. 29, 2010, 03:21 PM
Coming, bringing friends along with me to cheer our rider/trainer on. I am driving up on Wednesday, and am not picky about where or what. Will have 2-3 friends with.

PhoenixFarm
Mar. 29, 2010, 03:26 PM
Mr. PF and I will be working in the press office as always. I'd love to pop in, but I fear with the test events I will be lucky to see the light of day that week. But, we'll be there Monday to Monday, and I'll try to sneak in. Probably won't be able to bring anything , but I won't consume anything, so it'll wash, LOL.

Keep us posted.

Dramapony_misty
Mar. 29, 2010, 03:48 PM
Depending on the night, count me in! It'll be my first time there so I'm wicked excited!!! I'm in the non-pot luck camp as I doubt I'll even be able to get to a supermarket, let alone actually cook something. (which makes me sad as I have a buffalo chicken dip that's to die for!)

LAZ
Mar. 29, 2010, 07:42 PM
I will be there for sure from late Wednesday on in the campgrounds. If the weather is decent we can meet up at my campsite if you guys want. This year I'm on the north end of the west loop, looking out towards the sunken road.

Pegasus mom--we'll have to meet--Kaylie is my student when she's here in Indiana and Holly and I are buds.

pegasusmom
Mar. 29, 2010, 09:07 PM
LAZ - sounds great! Kaylie is a sweetie. We will have to arrange a meet up place.

tuppysmom
Mar. 29, 2010, 10:48 PM
We also have a camp site. I think it is 171 but I have to look for sure. Anyway, it is near the back gate by Nina Bonnie Rd. That's all I know about that!

Friday night might be best as who knows what Saturday night might be like! I am hoping that all will be 100% and we can be back at camp early. That is not to say that pinkdiamondracing can't get ya' all started without us. OOPS, she might be the horsey sitter/icer/walker/massager/get bitten by the monster pony er, so we/the rest of us can start anytime, LOL.

I, myself, like to start binge drinking before DD goes XC!

I will also make sure that PF and Mr PF have refreshements.

JFYI the DH goes to bed at 8pm, MT time, come h*** or high water, DD is of the same ilk, so take no offence.

pinkdiamondracing
Mar. 30, 2010, 07:18 AM
I am thinking pizza party on site again this year--- for the simple fact that Tuppysmom already mentioned---looks like I will be the willing slave for the weekend of my DS--so I will not be able to get away from site until it's time for me to go home for bed.

Last year we met at LAZ's site and there were quite a few people show up-- the year before we met at Happy Dragon on Newtown Pike for a buffet-- same thing-- lots of people showed up, so now that it's looming ever closer, I am thinking definately on-site again this year, as it makes it easier for every one to stop by, visit, grab a bite, and then be able to go on about their merry ways.

Let's get a head count so I will know how many pizzas to pre-order.

LAZ-- if you are up for it again-- we will all meet up at your camp.

ETA-- I am thinking Friday night, as I am sure that after XC, I will be ensconced at the barn for most of the evening making sure that Tony is ready for the jog on Sunday morning!!!!!!!!

deltawave
Mar. 30, 2010, 08:30 AM
I will be there, Erika coming along too. :)

DLee
Mar. 30, 2010, 08:36 AM
I am hoping to (finally!) come this year as we are company free! I can bring whatever, and will have some Woodford in tow for your mom. :)

jn4jenny
Mar. 30, 2010, 08:49 AM
I'm hoping to be there! I wasn't going to go, but a wonderful friend of mine who lives 4 miles from the horse park has generously offered her spare bed (in exchange for armchair saddle fitting services, which I am happy to provide!). Am quite sure I could bring something as I plan to have my crock pot and my portable grill in tow.

LAZ
Mar. 30, 2010, 09:59 AM
We can do it at my campsite--tell you what, I'll bring a box of burgers (I got half a grass-raised cow from a neighbor) and hamburger fixings. I bring my big Weber grill with me, so it would be easy enough to fire it up & grill burgers. I have some big bowls in my trailer, so if someone wants to bring bagged salads we can toss those together & anyone who wants to bring anything else would be welcome to. I've got a big cooler at my trailer so stuff could be dropped off on the way in (if you go out the back gate).

I think PinkdiamondRacing & Tuppy'sMom will be busy enough with Sarah & pony that they shouldn't have to take on more responsibility--what do you guys think?

Hollywood
Mar. 30, 2010, 10:21 AM
I would love to stop by and meet all of you!

I've had an unfortunate run of vet bills over the last few weeks, so I am being forced to re-evaluate my Rolex plans...but I am hoping worse case to come down Friday, and at least be there for cross country on Saturday.

If hubby and I make it, I see LAZ often enough, she'll keep me posted on time and we'll plan to stop by her campsite. And I'll bring something!

deltawave
Mar. 30, 2010, 10:31 AM
I can bring stuff--maybe a bunch of soft drinks for those who have more driving to do. :)

texang73
Mar. 30, 2010, 10:43 AM
LAZ, agreed that Tuppysmom and Pinkdiamond will be too busy!!

I will be there and would love to meet up... however, I am flying in and will not have a car (a friend I am working for is picking me up), so it will be hard for me to contribute... however, I will try to get out on Wed or Thurs night and pick something up... potato salad or somesuch? A case of water? :confused:

Just let me know what campsite and time on that Friday!

kch7238
Mar. 30, 2010, 01:58 PM
A friend and I are coming. We have been almost every year to Rolex but have missed the COTH get together. This year we would like to come. Of course, we would be more than happy to pick up whatever was needed!

pinkdiamondracing
Mar. 30, 2010, 03:09 PM
OK-- so we are gonna do burgers and weenies at LAZ's campsite-- and maybe we can put a kitty up for those who can't bring stuff, they can donate to the fund to help those of us who can bring things pick up the required items--maybe someone whocan't bring something to eat can bring bottles of soda for mixers, whiskey, whatever-- we will also need paper plates, napkins, cutlery, buns, etc-- chips, and so on--

Now give us a head count so we know how many burger patties and hotdogs we are gonna need

RedMare01
Mar. 30, 2010, 03:21 PM
So we're doing it Friday night? Sounds great!

I'll be there with one other person (either my mom or DH, depending on who wants to suffer, er, watch dressage :lol:). I'm local, so can make something and drop it off in the morning if needed. Let me know what we need? I have a good recipe for homemade vinaigrette pasta salad with veggies. Or a dip of some sort?

What time do you guys usually start?

Caitlin

pegasusmom
Mar. 30, 2010, 04:23 PM
There will be four of us, if the good lord is willing and the creek don't rise!!

retreadeventer
Mar. 30, 2010, 06:16 PM
OK, I'm real late to this thread...due to having to run out to Seattle and back...I don't have ANY travel plans made yet! I was looking at flying in Fri., but I need to find a hotel room...and a way out to the horse park Fri, Sat....sigh....can you get cabs out to the horse park and back to the hotels conveninently? Or do the cabs not go in the parking area? Does anyone need a room share in their hotel room? I will be at the COTH get together if I make it but I'm way behind on plans....help, help! Looking for sharing hotel room/horse park rides, anyone else in same boat?

deltawave
Mar. 30, 2010, 06:25 PM
Retread, we're (my trainer and I) driving down Friday and going straight to the park, but if you are stuck you can camp out with us in the hotel and catch a ride back and forth Saturday, even Friday if flight times work. Doubt we'll go Sunday unless it's just for the jog in the AM.

tuppysmom
Mar. 30, 2010, 11:23 PM
You can attract a bunch of people with a Woodford cork!

There will be 3 of us and maybe some other Woodford lovers from the stable area.

remember xc on Sat., remember xc on Sat., remember xc on Sat. Hoping for a later start time on Sat., LOL !

pinkdiamondracing
Apr. 3, 2010, 07:07 AM
bump

Dramapony_misty
Apr. 3, 2010, 07:27 AM
Count in 1 first-timer from PA!!! :)

deltawave
Apr. 3, 2010, 12:50 PM
So now we need to know how and where to find LAZ's campsite. :)

LAZ
Apr. 3, 2010, 07:39 PM
Well, I can't remember the site number--(maybe C164), but I will find it soon! If you come into the campground from the back gate and turn right, I'll be on the right hand side about 7 or 8 sites down--white Merhow trailer, blue Ford F350 dually. If you come in from the road direction, go all the way down to the last

subk
Apr. 3, 2010, 09:41 PM
I'll be myself and one other. Would love to donate to the kitty. My travel partner just called and wanted to know if we could go MONDAY! She doesn't like to miss anything...

maplebrook
Apr. 4, 2010, 10:33 AM
Is anyone looking for a campsite?
I have site B122 reserved from Tuesday to Sunday, and just found out I cannot go :(
email me at mollysherwood@hotmail.com

deltawave
Apr. 4, 2010, 10:35 AM
Could someone post a map or something for those of us who are KHP-campsite impaired? I have never even set foot back there other than shlepping through from the parking lot. :)

tuppysmom
Apr. 4, 2010, 11:50 PM
There will be the three of us, if I get my work done at the barn, LOL. I may be able to get some other barn dwellers to come for food, drink and a good time.

I'll try to round up something edible to bring. We can bring a few extra lawn chairs and maybe a folding table. We also have a couple of small side tables.

I think LAZ's camp site is pretty close to us. We are C171, IIRC.

As I said before, Woodford is a draw!

texang73
Apr. 6, 2010, 09:40 AM
Count me in! :D

mcorbett
Apr. 6, 2010, 09:49 AM
Is there anyway to have the shindig SATURDAY night for those of us only able to come for the weekend?

pinkdiamondracing
Apr. 6, 2010, 07:23 PM
Is there anyway to have the shindig SATURDAY night for those of us only able to come for the weekend?

We tried last year to hold the get together on Saturday after XC, but most everyone was so tired from being out in the sun on course all day, that not very many people showed up.

I for one will probably not be able to attend if it is on
Saturday, as we will be extremely busy making sure that El Primero is ready for the jog on Sunday morning.

LAZ
Apr. 7, 2010, 12:08 PM
My campsite is #C159--I think I've included a link to the map below... The campground looks like two lungs with a trachea dividing it down the middle--I am on the outside of the NW loop.

http://kentuckystateparks.reserveamerica.com/camping/Kentucky_Horse_Park/r/campsiteDetails.do?siteId=2398&contractCode=KY&parkId=90800

RunForIt
Apr. 7, 2010, 12:22 PM
THIS is the phase of the Kentucky 3DE that I sooooo wish I was attending - very green with envy for all of you getting together! :D :lol: :cool:

tuppysmom
Apr. 14, 2010, 04:29 PM
It's almost time!

groom
Apr. 14, 2010, 05:51 PM
The campground looks like two lungs with a trachea dividing it down the middle--I am on the outside of the NW loop.

Those are boobs. You're just left of the left nipple.

twistoffate
Apr. 14, 2010, 06:42 PM
I think I'm coming and it will be me plus 1-4 other people. I will bring stuff.... What kind of stuff do you need?? I'm there from Thurs-Sun so can run and get whatever you need me to bring Thurs or Friday.

Thanks!

tuppysmom
Apr. 14, 2010, 07:04 PM
Just crossed the river into KY. Going around Lou a vul right now and heading to our home away from home in Bardstown. Horsey can't wait to munch some Bluegrass after the long trip. Yeah! I love Kentucky!

DLee
Apr. 14, 2010, 10:27 PM
Just crossed the river into KY. Going around Lou a vul right now and heading to our home away from home in Bardstown. Horsey can't wait to munch some Bluegrass after the long trip. Yeah! I love Kentucky!

YAY!!! :yes:

retreadeventer
Apr. 14, 2010, 10:45 PM
Have fun! Won't be there this year but hope next year. Sigh. I am already getting sick from FOMS....:) Be sure and post lots of news guys.

vineyridge
Apr. 15, 2010, 11:27 PM
Please add one, but timing is important, as I do plan to watch the Test Dressage Freestyle that night. When is the party to start?

I would hope that there would be time to meet and greet before the dressage music starts playing.

LAZ
Apr. 15, 2010, 11:49 PM
We can start as soon as I can get back to my campsite after the last horse does dressage & go as late as anyone wants.

I just need a good guess of how many before I head out on Wednesday so I can bring enough burger.

I feel so lucky--I have a dog/farm/house sitter and he can stay from Wednesday on! I'm really glad to leave the spotty dogs and ponies home & get away for a few days.

twistoffate
Apr. 16, 2010, 06:49 AM
Viney- the dressage freestyle is Thurs night I just checked my ticket... :)

RedMare01
Apr. 16, 2010, 09:37 AM
Okay, the map is semi-helpful (it only shows the part of the loop where you are...). From what I can figure out, you are on the complete opposite side from the entrance of the park where people drive in and park for the day? Can you give us a general idea of how to get there from the ticket booth/entrance of Rolex?

If it's not too far to walk from the parking lot, I am happy to bring a big cooler with cold food inside it, but I would have to drop it off in the morning before the dressage. Looks like it may be a long walk from the parking field?

Is anyone doing the course walk after dressage?

Caitlin

LAZ
Apr. 16, 2010, 11:36 AM
Okay, the map is semi-helpful (it only shows the part of the loop where you are...). From what I can figure out, you are on the complete opposite side from the entrance of the park where people drive in and park for the day? Can you give us a general idea of how to get there from the ticket booth/entrance of Rolex?

If it's not too far to walk from the parking lot, I am happy to bring a big cooler with cold food inside it, but I would have to drop it off in the morning before the dressage. Looks like it may be a long walk from the parking field?

Is anyone doing the course walk after dressage?

Caitlin

If you go to the KHP campground site it has the whole loop, I think you can get there from the link I sent if you're creative!

From where you go in for Rolex: I am north--if you're going into the grounds you would follow the outer most loop north instead of turning and following the path through the gates and I'm on the far outside curve. If you're coming back from the grounds you would just bear left instead of right towards the car parking and follow the above directions.

pinkdiamondracing
Apr. 17, 2010, 09:29 AM
LAZ-- as of this post-- I count around 30, if everyone who says they are coming shows up that is-- anyone who has not posted whether or not they are attending the COTH annual Rolex get together and are planning on coming, please give us your number of attendees.

If you have posted prior to this post, you have been counted!!!

asbjockey
Apr. 20, 2010, 10:41 AM
Are there any last minute things that are still needed? Plates? Plasticware?

Auburn
Apr. 20, 2010, 11:23 AM
The cross country volunteers have a meeting at 5pm on Friday. I will try to come over, especially since I will be parked in the volunteer parking area, which is on the other side of the campground.

What else do you need for me to bring?

LAZ
Apr. 20, 2010, 01:29 PM
I have plenty of plates & I'll check plastic-ware to be sure I've got that.

I've got:

2 boxes of burgers (plenty)
Mustard, Ketchup, relish
pickles (1 jar)
a bag of salad mix

I am going to pick up tomorrow--

Buns, tomato, lettuce.

Anything else anyone wants to bring is great.

tuppysmom
Apr. 20, 2010, 09:06 PM
Sounds good.

I could likely get someone to pick up some chips. Anything else?

CookiePony
Apr. 20, 2010, 09:09 PM
Now it looks like I will be coming! With 3 people. I am vegetarian, so I will bring veggie burgers and potato/ macaroni salad.
I'm so happy I will be seeing everybody!

asbjockey
Apr. 20, 2010, 09:17 PM
Darn...looks like I'll be forced to bring some sort of fattening baked goodies.

eponacowgirl
Apr. 20, 2010, 10:19 PM
Now it looks like I will be coming! With 3 people. I am vegetarian, so I will bring veggie burgers and potato/ macaroni salad.
I'm so happy I will be seeing everybody!

I'm assuming your RSVP includes Megan, Hub and I so I don't have to add myself? :D

CookiePony
Apr. 20, 2010, 10:20 PM
I'm assuming your RSVP includes Megan, Hub and I so I don't have to add myself? :D

Correctomundo. ;)

LAZ
Apr. 20, 2010, 10:41 PM
YAY~I get to see CookiePony!!!

deltawave
Apr. 20, 2010, 10:43 PM
I'll bring some soft drinks.

RunForIt
Apr. 20, 2010, 10:45 PM
Correctomundo. ;)

I would so love to be in on this party and a bit of the shopping ...window shopping would be more like it though. The more I hear about the nightlife at the campground, the more I wish I was coming! y'all have fun! :cool: Pictures? :lol:

eponacowgirl
Apr. 20, 2010, 10:52 PM
YAY~I get to see CookiePony!!!

And don't forget the rest of her MiddleTN crew! :winkgrin:

LAZ
Apr. 20, 2010, 11:32 PM
And don't forget the rest of her MiddleTN crew! :winkgrin:

I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of y'all!

LAZ
Apr. 22, 2010, 03:44 PM
Sittin' in the Area VIII tent & the consensus is that 5:30 or after is a good time. See you guys then!!