PDA

View Full Version : Robby's Braiding Clinic - Where did it go?

Gry2Yng
Feb. 17, 2010, 04:28 PM
Anybody know where this thread went? It is the authority and I would like to refer someone who wants to learn to sew in. I also like to review it every spring. It is not coming up in any search I do. Will check stickys now.

bambam
Feb. 17, 2010, 04:37 PM
go to the reference section of archives- at least I am almost positive it is in there
used to be

Gry2Yng
Feb. 17, 2010, 07:08 PM
Found it in the archives. Some fun stuff in there. Also found it on the USEA site.

So, every year I think I invent a new method for doing my sew in braids. Trying to put some consistency into it, as braiding gives me mucho anxiety. When Robby says (chime in Robby) he puts a half stitch in the bottom, WHAT IS A HALF STITCH? Is that like a half hitch knot where you use the tail of thread under the braid, or like a half stitch in cross stitch?

Sorry Robby, should have paid attention when you were braiding Edgar, but I think I was in the stall puking or something.

Robby Johnson
Feb. 18, 2010, 12:08 PM
Robby's here!

I am pretty sure I just made up "half-stitch" because it sounded better than "slip-stitch" which is what I originally used and, of course, was questioned on that. The only sewing I do is on horse manes. I am a classified failure on the machine.

Think of it as tying a knot. When I say "half-stitch" what I mean is you basically make just the first part (cross of threads) of a knot. I have never found the need for tying a full knot at that point of the process.

I will try to make a video here over the next few weeks. Technology has increased over the past 8 years!

GotSpots
Feb. 18, 2010, 12:37 PM
Gry - at the bottom, loop the needle around the bottom of your braid, and then poke it up through (and under) the loop you just made. It would be as if you did the first part of tying your shoes (aka one half of a square knot, also called one half-hitch) around the bottom of the braid. I poke through the braid to hold it better when I sew the braids up but I know lots of folks don't.

Robby - we'll lend you Ti if you want as a model for your video! The Bones loves him some diva time...

Gry2Yng
Feb. 18, 2010, 06:12 PM
Ok. We are all on the same page now. Thanks all. Can't wait for the video.

Dale Area 1
Feb. 22, 2010, 09:29 PM
Sorry to Hijack. Robbie -- check you PMs. I may be moving to AL!

Robby Johnson
Feb. 23, 2010, 10:52 AM
GotSpots ... deal! And thanks for continuing my thought process. I seriously nearly launched into "like tying your shoes but before you make a bow!" I was in ATL last weekend for a baby shower and nearly convinced my friend to shuck it all and head over to Aiken for the day. GORGEOUS weather and I needed a horsey fix. :(

Dale, will do! I was thinking about you and your riding trails just the other day!

Badger
Feb. 23, 2010, 12:33 PM
Diva braiding video is a wonderful idea!