PDA

View Full Version : Jack's whirlpool boots versus Ice Horse Therapy

gjump
Feb. 17, 2010, 02:32 PM
Cross post from Horse Care:

I want to get either the Jack's Whirlpool boots or Ice Horse Therapy.

Anyone have experiences with either?

How loud are the Jack's whirlpool boots?

Thanks!

jn4jenny
Feb. 17, 2010, 03:12 PM
No experience with either, but FYI, you can get the Ice Horse system going for much cheaper if you buy the human version and a few attachments that will "turn it into" the horse system. Try searching the forums for "Donjoy Iceman".

Gry2Yng
Feb. 17, 2010, 04:37 PM
I have used Jack's. I almost never used the whirlpool part. I just used the boots as ice boots. They get the foot which if you run on hard ground and get some foot bruising is a plus. They take some practice to use and are still a bit messy but they do the job. I sold the jack's when I got a game ready. It does the hind legs better and I LOVE the active compression.

SevenDogs
Feb. 17, 2010, 04:53 PM
Gry2yng: What are your thoughts on Game Ready for a spooky older horse nursing a ligament injury? Vet thought it would be more helpful that regular ice boots but I am concerned that she won't tolerate 1) being "hooked up" to anything (it looks like there is a mechanical unit with a hose attached to the horse) and 2) she might completely freak out at the compression part and I don't really want to have to spend $400-500 to rent it for a month to have her not be able to use it.

She is older and can be sensible most of the time but had a tying accident many years ago as a youngster (before I got her -- she was abused in several ways), so I just don't tie her, which seems problematic if she is going to be hooked up to something (I would definitely do it in a confined area). Just curious since it sounds like you own it. She's the type that I can handwalk for 30 minutes at a time on a loose lead rope and then she will jump sideways at the same damn fallen tree that we pass six times a day on our handwalk! Any thoughts are appreciated!

gjump
Feb. 17, 2010, 05:05 PM
I have used Jack's. I almost never used the whirlpool part. I just used the boots as ice boots. They get the foot which if you run on hard ground and get some foot bruising is a plus. They take some practice to use and are still a bit messy but they do the job. I sold the jack's when I got a game ready. It does the hind legs better and I LOVE the active compression.

How loud is the motor for the whirlpool boots?

Thanks!

Gry2Yng
Feb. 17, 2010, 06:06 PM
I don't recall the motor being too terribly loud. About like the standard dishwasher. But honestly can't recall using it more than twice, but I used them as ice boots 100 times +. Two different horses in my barn fell and bruised/tore the heck out of their knees. Jacks covered the knees and allowed us to ice them.

For the older mare. Yes, I own the game ready. Started out renting. I can see your concern with the tying problem. We have about 20 horses in the barn. The ones in competition or injured were using it as often as once per day. (We have 2 and they run all the time.) Some were a bit nervous at first, but the compression really seems to sooth them. They all stood well in the xties and we used a polo to secure the hose to their bodies. One gelding never could stand still and was always doing some sort of damage to the boots. He had a hind suspensory and was constantly kicking with a back foot. This would damage the boot to hose connection.

My 5 year old WILL NOT wear standing wraps behind but he will stand in the game ready. (Violent kicking to remove wraps resulted in need to game ready. How stupid is that?)

None of these horses have an issue being tied. Good luck. It is a great product. Speak to the reps, maybe they will let you try it and send it back quickly for a pro ration if she won't tolerate it.

SevenDogs
Feb. 17, 2010, 06:13 PM
Thank you Gry2yng for the info! Great idea about calling the rep. :)