PDA

View Full Version : Read the AERC rules but not finding...

sign of Grace
Feb. 17, 2010, 02:31 PM
if horses can go barefoot? I thought I read somewhere that shoes and/or boots are required, but cannot seem to find that in the rules I just downloaded? If the horse has never been shod is it required to boot them? This would be for LD (25 miles)

rmh_rider
Feb. 17, 2010, 06:56 PM
There is NO AERC rule which states you have to have shoes on your horse. Nor boots. That is why you can't find anything. Rule doesn't exist.

Ride management can suggest shoes or hoof boots, and they can also make it mandatory. They can also do that with helmets, although no helmet is required. It is suggested.

Only ride I know of there is a hoof protection required is the Tevis. Shoes, or boots but absolutely no barefoot horses. They made that rule for a reason due to the terrain, and past history.

For that matter, if you really wanted to run naked, with no shoes, beside your horse, then you can the whole way! The horse doesn't have to have a saddle nor a bridle. Really!

I wouldn't advise running naked and barefoot on the trails, might get a sunburn, tick, or fall into a cactus since you are in AZ. I would also advise if you are going to do that, you have a halter and lead rope on your horse just in case, also maybe a cell phone. :-O

The horse ALWAYS has to complete sound, healthy, and fit to continue. Rider does not have to be sound nor healthy, but has to be with the horse.

Not sure where you got the idea of a shoe/hoof boot requirement??? You may be thinking of CTR. ???

This is the beauty of endurance. Rules yes, but you can ride any breed of equine, with any tack or not if you wish. And in any clothes (or not) you if you wish or choose, and any footwear the horse needs.

Nobody yet that I have heard has done the lady godiva just yet.

BEARCAT
Feb. 18, 2010, 10:38 AM
"Not sure where you got the idea of a shoe/hoof boot requirement??? You may be thinking of CTR. ???"

But that's not a rquirement there either.... ;)

ponygrl25
Feb. 18, 2010, 01:20 PM
Some rides ''strongly suggest'' boots or front shoes for trails that are in rocky areas. But I haven't ever heard of it being a requirement for any and all rides.

sign of Grace
Feb. 19, 2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks...good to know. I read it in a book (The complete guide to Endurance riding and Competition) by Donna Snyder-Smith.

Page 17 says: "AERC recognizes four weight divisions...etc,
Open to any breed, and "All horses must be shod."

It was printed in 1998 so maybe that has gone by the wayside. Thanks for clarification.