PDA

View Full Version : Calling CO helmet fans!

eventingismylife
Feb. 17, 2010, 02:17 AM
I have been looking at skull caps for a long time, and know a lot of people that have CO skull caps and they love them. How many of you have the CO Pro II?
http://www.doversaddlery.com/pro-ii-skull-cap-/p/X1-3676/cn/39/
How does it compare to the Pro Racing and J3 models?

takethestage
Feb. 17, 2010, 03:44 AM
I have the Pro II and the J3... love both. Even though the J3 doesn't have as much ventilation, I never had overheating issues in the summer. My Pro II hasn't seen hot days yet though so I can't compare the two in that respect. The J3 is a little more comfortable for me, but I feel like the Pro II gives more protection: it comes further down on your forehead and in the back. I feel like the Pro II might be a better choice for higher levels because I feel like it's safer, but to each their own! I love both.

lstevenson
Feb. 17, 2010, 10:37 AM
I haven't tried the Pro II, but I can tell you that the J3 is by far the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn.

Dawnd
Feb. 17, 2010, 10:43 AM
I have both the Pro II and J3.

I had a fall with the J3 and really slammed the back of my head on the ground. My very, very first thought..."Wow, this helmet really worked!" My second thought was..."Wow, my safety vest really worked".

While I was waiting for my j3 to be replaced under the CO replacement policy, I bought the Pro II. Since my head gets really sweaty, I'm hoping the ventilation helps. (and I'm hoping that it won't smell like a dirty gym locker) I haven't yet used it in hot weather though as I bought it in the fall. The sound of the air moving through my helmet sounded really strange the first time.

Love them both.

TheBrownHorse
Feb. 17, 2010, 10:56 AM
I'm a huge CO fan. Own four (2 GR8, I Wellington Pro, and a J3)

Stopped eventing a while back, but would certainly bet my money that this is a fabulous helmet.

badawg
Feb. 17, 2010, 11:27 AM
I have the Pro II and the JR8. Love them both. I understand there is a bit of a difference in fit between the Pro II and the J3. I think M has the J3 if you wanted to try them on for fit. Mine fit like a glove from the moment I put it on. I'll never wear anything different again! LOVE!

FoxChaser
Feb. 17, 2010, 11:52 AM
You may find that you need to try them on in order to determine what fits the best. I have a "regular" Pro (just before the Pro II came out) and found that the J3 did not fit the shape of my head at all. Just FYI :)

eventingismylife
Feb. 17, 2010, 08:23 PM
I have both a Troxel dial fit schooling helmet, Troxel Grand Prix and a Tipperary Sportage. I love the fit of my Tipperary and the air vents, but I am not a big fan of the Troxels. Are the CO's more of a oval or round shape as far as head shapes go?

chestnutwithchrome
Feb. 17, 2010, 08:47 PM
I have the J3, and it is truly the most comfortable helmet ever! My roomate saw how much I loved mine, and went and tried on both the J3 and the Pro II, and she found that she preferred the fit of the J3 and got one too. They are great Helmets. As far as head shapes go, I think they fit oval heads more than round heads.

badawg
Feb. 17, 2010, 08:51 PM
Even among the various models of CO's there are variations-the Pro II is more oval, the J3 is more round. The GR8 is also fairly oval-I obviously have a fairly oval head.

sch1star
Feb. 17, 2010, 10:33 PM
Another vote for the J3. And what happened to the John Whittaker? Was it discontinued? I'm wearing mine out!

ZiggyStardust
Feb. 18, 2010, 12:23 AM
I have the J3, but before that had the Troxel Grand Prix (the more traditional look) and actually prefer the Troxel. I feel like it has more coverage over the base of my skull. I think I have a round head shape, I've tried on helmets that are more oval and definitely noticed the difference. J3 fits me well, just prefer the feel of the Troxel.

Fortunately I haven't had to learn the crush protection of either, so no help in that regard!