PDA

View Full Version : Karl Niedersuss dressage saddles

skip916
Feb. 16, 2010, 09:30 PM
I rode in my trainer's saddle the other day and had a fit over it, turns out it was a Karl Niedersuss, which I wasn't familiar with.

A DQ friend of mine happens to be selling hers for $500 and it's my size. Any thoughts on this saddle or fitting things to watch for with these?

I am picking it up tomorrow to sit in on my mare and see if she likes it.

twofatponies
Feb. 16, 2010, 09:33 PM
I have one I bought used years ago for $500 and I still love it. It got used for dressage and for trail riding for many years (8 now and counting) and is still going strong.

amastrike
Feb. 16, 2010, 09:37 PM
I have one. It's very comfy and fits my weird-backed gelding nicely. They do tend to have hard panels, so be prepared to either reflock it or get a Thinline or similar pad. I asked a saddle fitter about having mine reflocked, but she said to just get a Mattes pad, as even after being reflocked it would be necessary. I ended up getting the Thinline saddle fitter pad (sheepskin with removable Thinline inserts) for the best of both worlds.

bambam
Feb. 16, 2010, 09:40 PM
I think 5 of us at my barn including the trainer have one. It puts me in the correct position and fits both of my horses (although I need a pad for one). I was able to have the saddle fitter evaluate its fit on my kids before I bought it- highly recommend doing that. Not the softest seat on the planet but compared to my rock of a jumping saddle, it is downright cushy.
Nice saddle for the money and the correctness.

Sebastian
Feb. 16, 2010, 09:49 PM
I have one, and LOVE it. At that price, snap it up!

Seb :)

p.s. Albion makes the only other Dressage saddle that I have ever liked.

CatchMeIfUCan
Feb. 17, 2010, 03:44 AM
I love mine! My old trainer has one that is 10+ years old, and she breaks all the babies in it because it fits practically anything! I use a fleece and thinline pad underneath it. It is very much a "no fuss" saddle without all the extra padding and blocks and puts you in a nice position. Mine looks brand new (7 years old) even though I don't clean it as much as I should. I recommend it to everyone.

TheBrownHorse
Feb. 17, 2010, 11:12 AM
I LOVE THEM.

It was my first very owned dressage saddle, lovellllly.

Hope it works out for you!

Beam Me Up
Feb. 17, 2010, 11:34 AM
Love mine! Made a huge difference for me.

mbdobbs
Feb. 17, 2010, 01:20 PM
They're oldies but goodies. I have one and it was probably my fifth -- and by far least expensive -- dressage saddle choice, and it was the best one. I love them.

yellowbritches
Feb. 17, 2010, 06:05 PM
Mine was on the consignment rack for weeks at my local tack shop and I kept avoiding it, CERTAIN I would hate it. Most Niedersuss saddles I had seen in the past were very DQ like (too much stuff everywhere). Finally, I was basically forced to sit in it (it was the only dressage saddle in my size left in the that I had not sat in....I hang out there a lot :lol:), and it was great! Tried in on a horse, it was even better. Love mine.