PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this CANTER gelding?

302style
Feb. 16, 2010, 07:52 PM
Looking for a nice young eventing prospect, to be in training with me (a young rider) part of the time and my very well regarded trainer the other half... what do you think of Joe for Gin?
http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1822:joe-for-gin&catid=58:pa-trainer-listings&directory=67

TxEventer81
Feb. 16, 2010, 08:06 PM
I noticed him a couple of days ago... if I had my new trailer he'd already be loaded up and on his way to my pasture. :D He's just my type. :cool:

CatchMeIfUCan
Feb. 16, 2010, 08:10 PM
I want, I want, I want!!

You should definitely go get him. Super nice looking!

amastrike
Feb. 16, 2010, 08:14 PM
Gorgeous!

skip916
Feb. 16, 2010, 08:45 PM
he is super cute and nicely proportioned

Ishi
Feb. 16, 2010, 08:46 PM
I saw him today too and really liked him. We are hoping to go to Penn on a buying trip next week, he is one I'd like to see in person as well as about 6 others. Thank goodness I only have a 3 horse trailer!

sarah88
Feb. 16, 2010, 09:02 PM
Hey All, This is my first post so i hope it works!!

I agree with everyone else here, he is super cute and i love a cute bay horse...but if i may for a second play devils advocate. One thing i noticed (and this could have something to do with the angle he is standing on in the snow) is that his front pasterns seem like they may be on the long side. I guess thats not always an issue, just depends on how much and at what level you plan to event him. But its something id keep and mind and ask the vet about if i were to pursue him!

But he is really cute overall! Good luck with the horse hunt :)

eventingismylife
Feb. 16, 2010, 09:42 PM
Hey All, This is my first post so i hope it works!!

I agree with everyone else here, he is super cute and i love a cute bay horse...but if i may for a second play devils advocate. One thing i noticed (and this could have something to do with the angle he is standing on in the snow) is that his front pasterns seem like they may be on the long side. I guess thats not always an issue, just depends on how much and at what level you plan to event him. But its something id keep and mind and ask the vet about if i were to pursue him!

But he is really cute overall! Good luck with the horse hunt :)

I noticed this as well, but realistically you want a horse with longer pasterns than too short (my personal opinion). I really like him- I saw him on another post. If I wasnt so far away and wouldnt make him look like a midget I would scoop him up asap!

scubed
Feb. 17, 2010, 12:46 PM
I had beat you to it on this guy, so we know I like him (a lot), although I traditionally like the longer pastern as well

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244981

302style
Feb. 17, 2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks guys! I'm going to try to go take a look at him!

I'm a little worried about his height.. I'm 5'6/5'7... opinions?

caffeinated
Feb. 17, 2010, 04:45 PM
I'm your height, and have been riding a fair number of 15.0-15.3 hand horses with no problems. :) I always thought it would 'look' weird for me to be on a shorter horse but now that I've seen pics and video, it's really not a big deal :)

While I always thought I "needed" 16.2 prior to this, I've come to realize bigger isn't always better and I actually am more comfortable on something around 15.2 :)

bornfreenowexpensive
Feb. 17, 2010, 04:47 PM

you'll be fine. I'm 5'9" and would go and look at him. He's only just 4...so he will probably still grow a bit more and will certainly fill out more. He's a very nice type. My only negative on him...was his neck looks a tad short in the photos. But I bet he looks a lot different in person. I like him a lot.

Nyminute09
Feb. 17, 2010, 04:51 PM
I came across this ad on equinenow for a horse stabled at Philadelphia Park who looks nice! If I had the money I'd get her now!

http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-263138

mcorbett
Feb. 18, 2010, 09:05 AM
wow. he looks very athletic and sweet-faced. go look. i'm 5'7" and look fine eventing on my 15.2 mare.

I really like his pedigree too...Cormorant's always have cute faces :) I like the Princequillo line, Sword Dancer goes back to Teddy, and I love the Bold Bidder/Cannonade (both my mares have that line).

caffeinated
Feb. 18, 2010, 09:11 AM
I came across this ad on equinenow for a horse stabled at Philadelphia Park who looks nice! If I had the money I'd get her now!

http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-263138

peaks and valleys! I know there's a few people here who like those... heh

mcorbett
Feb. 18, 2010, 09:13 AM
am I the only one having trouble with viewing CANTER? I'm starting to think my husband has tampered with my computer. I could see the link once, but when I try to look at it again, it doesn't work. I can never go directly to any CANTER website...

sar2008
Feb. 18, 2010, 09:19 AM
Looking for a nice young eventing prospect, to be in training with me (a young rider) part of the time and my very well regarded trainer the other half... what do you think of Joe for Gin?
http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1822:joe-for-gin&catid=58:pa-trainer-listings&directory=67

Super cute!! I like his type. I am 5'9 and one on my guys is just shy of 16 hds. He looks like he would take up a lot of leg. Doesn't hurt to go look!! Good luck!

sar2008
Feb. 18, 2010, 09:29 AM
He is "Straight Gin's" half brother! How cool. I am not sure how familiar you are with steeplechasing, but Straight Gin (who trained with Richard Valentine here in Virginia) was a pretty successful steeplechaser. :winkgrin:

MintHillFarm
Feb. 18, 2010, 09:31 AM

I think you will be fine as well. I really like his type... and he should fill out nicely.
I got one through CANTER this past fall, he is just shy of 16hh as well, but fairly big bodied and I am just about your hgt. I have always had 16.2 or bigger but I am really liking the size of this one as I get older!