PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Overnight Getaway

drmgncolor
Feb. 16, 2010, 07:42 PM
Hi Trail Guru's,

I am putting together a getaway for my farm. We are headed to Moses Cone Park for a night... it's only a 3 hour drive and there are 9 of us confirmed!

I lived in Boone/Blowing Rock for 6 years and know those trails very well so I have that part covered. In fact, the park was practically my backyard at one point and ponygirl and I have fond memories of racing across those mountain balds.

While I know the area, I have never put together an overnight trip other than to a horse show and my overnight horse show days are, well... moons ago. There will be most likely 4 rigs pulling 9 horses up the mountain. We'll be camping at the Blowing Rock Preserve where I am reserving 2 or 3 campsites and 10 stalls. (9 horses and 1 tack stall)

My question is: do any of you have an extensive gear checklist? I backpack/camp on a regular basis so that list will certainly help, but what about the horses... I am sure I'll leave something out. Since I am starting to put said list together, I would love input from those who have been there, done that.

If you have a document you would be willing to email, please PM me and I'll get you my email.

Thanks!!! I am so excited! :D

Simbalism
Feb. 17, 2010, 12:14 AM
I have a dressing room in my trailer so stuff is handy when I go somewhere. I like to have a pretty well stocked first aid kit for the trailer and I also fixed up a smaller one that is in a fanny pack that I wear when trail riding. I always have some spare tack in trailer, pain in the neck to go somewhere and have tack failure. I have buckets for feed water as well as some hooks for hanging them. I have a hoof boot in case of shoe loss, water bottle holders to clip on saddle. I have a hose, manure fork and muck tub. I also have a really nice battery powered lantern. I usually pre-bag feed with supplements and carry in a bucket. I make sure to bring more hay than I think I will need.I think on this forum there is an extensive thread regarding some one setting up a new trailer. Lots of good tips in that one. Here is the tread I was thinking about...
http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...ad.php?t=36502

Painted Horse
Feb. 17, 2010, 09:24 AM
You are getting way to worried about this.

I'm a guy, maybe that's the difference.

Let see, my list is:
Hay for the horses, (bring more than you normally feed)
Some food for the people
Sleeping bags
A jacket

Lets go.

Of course all my tack stays in the trailer. I keep a rasp in the trailer in case I have to trim a horse while camping. First aid kit is behind the seat of the truck.

Minerva Louise
Feb. 17, 2010, 09:40 AM
Go to http://www.natrc4.org/NewToCTR_F.htm

Look in the menu on the left hand side of the screen. There is a tab that says, "What to pack". Click that one and it will pull up a nice printable list for you. :)

drmgncolor
Feb. 17, 2010, 11:40 AM
Minerva. Thanks a million.

Yes, Painted. The difference just might be that you are a man. :D

Minerva Louise
Feb. 17, 2010, 12:08 PM
You're welcome! I hope you have a great trip!

I'm jealous....

brightskyfarm
Feb. 17, 2010, 12:11 PM
For the *just in case*
Ace , Banamine, emergency wraps and meds for cuts (people and horses). Ice packs, bute... and maybe a bottle of wine. :)
In other words, make sure you have an adequate safety kit. and know a local vet to the area...tools to pull a shoes, you'd be mighty mad if you needed them and didnt pack along.

the rest of the stuff is easy.
good luck

drmgncolor
Feb. 17, 2010, 02:29 PM
Bright:

Wine - check
First Aid kit for human and horses - check
Vet and Farrier - I have USRider, so Check

The farrier tools are an excellent idea, however.

Thanks!