PDA

View Full Version : bradoon bits in the dressage phase?

brii7
Feb. 16, 2010, 05:51 PM
Is this legal??

Gry2Yng
Feb. 16, 2010, 05:52 PM
What do you mean? Can you use a bradoon when using a snaffle bridle?

brii7
Feb. 16, 2010, 06:01 PM
Yes.. Sorry I wasn't sure how to word it. I have a pony who prefers to go in a bradoon, I'll be competing him Novice, and I want to know if bradoons are legal on a regular bridle while riding dressage, rather than a double.

technopony
Feb. 16, 2010, 06:57 PM
It should be in the rulebook... I haven't actually looked up the rule, but as a kid I made a mistake and ordered the bradoon KK snaffle instead of the regular one. Since I'd already paid for it, and honestly it didn't make a difference, I showed in recognized dressage shows and events with it as a junior. No one ever disqualified me!

Rabbit351w
Feb. 16, 2010, 09:47 PM
It appears they are:

Appendix 4:

Note: All bridoon bits shown on the plate of permitted bits are for the Dressage either as a snaffle or as part of a double bridle.

http://usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2009/12-EV.pdf

Janet
Feb. 17, 2010, 10:48 AM
Yes.. Sorry I wasn't sure how to word it. I have a pony who prefers to go in a bradoon, I'll be competing him Novice, and I want to know if bradoons are legal on a regular bridle while riding dressage, rather than a double.
A double would be VERY ILLEGAL for Dressage at Novice.

Double bridles are not permitted for Eventing dressage until Intermediate.

joiedevie99
Feb. 17, 2010, 10:54 AM
The only difference between a bradoon and a snaffle is the size of the rings- so assuming you have a legal mouthpiece (with legal thickness) it shouldn't matter.

brii7
Feb. 17, 2010, 11:49 AM
Yes, I know a double bridle would be very illegal for a novice dressage test ;] lol, Thanks you guys for the answers!

asterix
Feb. 17, 2010, 05:23 PM
I have been competing my big gelding in a bradoon at recognized events (through preliminary) and AECs for years now. I got it from a friend's old double, and my horse loves it -- must have a big tongue/low palate.
No one has ever said anything, including my coach who is a TD and often POGJ at big events.
He's a really big guy, so the bit looks a bit funny (a teeny tiny loose ring....), but it's what he likes, so...