PDA

View Full Version : How much do you pay your groom?

TBEquine
Feb. 16, 2010, 04:19 PM
Hoping that someone may be able to help me here since the internet has been useless on this question!

I am a former working student and groom of a four star rider. However, I left that "world" over a decade ago for a regular, boring office job. :) I miss the eventing world and have been in discussions with an up-and-coming rider in our area about grooming for her at some of our area events. However, I come from a different era of eventing and I have no idea what to charge!

She'll likely have 3 horses and I'll likely be handling the usual - bathing, braiding, studs, stalls, tack, etc. - for the two and three day horse trials. Might also be braiding for some other people there on the side.

What is the going rate for a groom these days? Do I charge per horse or per day? Do I ask for accomodations? What do you guys charge/pay for braiding?

Thanks for any advice!!!

jumpymeister
Feb. 17, 2010, 12:13 AM
My last summer grooming job was in 2002 - for a hunter barn...we got paid $60/day at home, $80/day at shows, plus housing (the people that did not have housing got an extra $20/day). That included everything from stalls, feeding, longing, bathing, tacking, helping the owner mount up, and being at the ring to wipe their boots and give the horse the final polish before walking into the ring. It Did Not include braiding - the going rate (2009) for braiding at hunter shows is $45/mane, $35/tail....

I know it was 8 years ago, but it may give you an idea....2 years before that job, a different barn with the same job description was $50/day at home, $60/day at shows.

At both jobs each horse owner usually gave us a $20-40 tip for the entire show - roughly 10-15 horses over 3-5 days, split between 2-4 grooms...plus someone usually bought us lunch :-)

I currently charge $150/day for 1-2 horses, usually youngstock, so I am also usually showing them in the breeding classes for the owners as well. If it's an "away" show, the owners also take care of hotel, food, gas, etc. I would love to charge more, as I usually have to cancel more than $150 in lessons to go to the show, but I just can't do that to my clients :-)

Auto Be A Storm
Feb. 17, 2010, 10:27 AM
I took care of 6 horses and got $12 an hour, show........there was a set price but I don't remember!

bayberryrider
Feb. 17, 2010, 11:16 AM
We usually bring 2-3 of the farm's full time grooms to each show. The owners tip the grooms about $40-50 per day for each of their horses. This is on top of their regular salary and accomodations.

TBEquine
Feb. 17, 2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks everyone! I quoted a rate per horse yesterday, and after crunching your suggested per-day numbers and hourly numbers, comes out to just about the same as my quote! Glad I wasn't way off base. Thanks!

TheBrownHorse
Feb. 17, 2010, 12:10 PM
I'm from H/J la la land, but we pay $50 per horse (not including braiding) a day at shows.

I don't remember exactly how much the braiding is as we only venture into the hunter ring on occasion, but it was no less that $100. I kept his braids in two days so we didn't have to pay twice, though many people rebraid for each day.

Have fun!

Mac123
Feb. 17, 2010, 12:55 PM
H/J person here...

I was paid $100/day + $30 per diem for food + a shared hotel room. I was responsible for feeding, stalls, tack, ringside prep, etc. and anything else needed (including helping the parents and calming nerves!) for 2 ponies and their riders at Pony Finals. (Not braiding, though).

I also received a healthy tip from one client.

The BO gave me a wristband that got me into the VIP tent so I could get free lunch, and since I got free breakfast at the hotel and several of my dinners got purchased for me, the per diem was pretty much extra cash.

TxEventer81
Feb. 17, 2010, 09:54 PM
When I groomed for a dressage rider I was paid $10 an hour at home. Then at shows I was paid $100 a day plus my expenses.

CANTEREOIN
Feb. 18, 2010, 10:51 AM
One day shows -

Daycare - $50 per day per horse - includes grooming, tacking and untacking. Also provided - lungeing, trimming (ears, muzzle, bridle path and legs), bandaging, blanketing, handwalking. Also includes grooming at ring, holding at ring and unbraiding.

Multiple day shows - $100 day per horse

Includes all of the above and includes, employee gas, tolls and per diem expenses. If less than three horses at the show - $150/day/horse

Additional fee:

Employee hotel and per diem fee - to be split with clients on a per horse basis.

Braiding is separate

Suggested tipping - Ocala and multiple day shows - $60 per week per horse

One day shows - $20 per day per horse

Hope this helps.