PDA

View Full Version : What is a "big" fence to you?

amastrike
Feb. 15, 2010, 10:53 PM
I realize there's a lot of variety in this question, but... when you approach a stadium fence, at what height do you say to yourself "ok, this a real jump" and get a little nervous about it. Does that height where you feel it's a real jump carry over to XC?

My apologies if this is unclear. I'm about to go to bed and my Ambien is doing funny things to my brain. I'll clarify in the morning when I'm no longer under the influence.

Badger
Feb. 15, 2010, 11:10 PM
It completely depends on the horse you are sitting on. A big fence is one that pushes the envelope of skill, scope, experience, etc. of whatever is being asked to jump it.

K.
Feb. 15, 2010, 11:15 PM
for xc prelim and up look big riding to them, walking it I am normally good through I, but sometimes they look big, depends on the fence. for SJ, wide 3'6" oxers look big,3'6' vert are ok.

Meredith Clark
Feb. 15, 2010, 11:18 PM
I'm a lower level rider so the first time I jumped a training sized x-country jump on a former *** horse I was like :eek:

Being able to feel "hang time" over a fence was new and exciting to me! It also had to do with the horse who really surged over it.

On the other hand.. my usual mount (some sort of green, greener or greeniest OTTB) makes 2foot logs look HUGE but unless they rocket over it awkwardly (which tends to happen) I don't get that WOW feeling as described above.

I would love to someday jump an Interm or Advanced jump, even if it's just a log! :lol:

ksbadger
Feb. 15, 2010, 11:19 PM
I've been doing a bit of research on safety aspects of fences. According to Dr. Ellen Singer of Liverpool University in the UK there's a significant increase in the risk of a horse fall if the fence is wider than 2 meters so....

Fences & fence construction will be one aspect of the Safety Forum at the Area IV annual meeting in St. Louis this Saturday.

Carol Ames
Feb. 15, 2010, 11:51 PM
A big fence is/ was the 3rd fence on the Morven Park fall course a few years ago; a solid LOG, c. 3'7"-9" with a very steep drop on landing; or, the Weldons' wall on the backside of that course black creosoted railroad ties all the way down to the bottom of the ditch "sucks you in and down, down, down:eek:

Thames Pirate
Feb. 16, 2010, 02:17 AM
I walked one Training course (so nothing over 3'3") and it looked HUGE the first few times I walked it--but it rode beautifully, and the jumps didn't look that big riding up to them. I've schooled Prelim and even Intermediate tables that I didn't realize were that big, so I suppose it just depends on the kind of day you're having, the type of jump, how it's situated, etc.

I've had the same thing in SJ--I was jumping up once more before a HT, and I had a friend setting jumps for me. We use these interesting "cups" that mean our standards aren't drilled. I just eyeballed it and told her to go up/down the whole time. At the end I knew I was over competition height (again, 3'3"), but I didn't think by much. The one oxer was at least 3'9" (I found out afterward), but I didn't know it. By the same token I was going through a rough patch when my horse and I were having severe confidence issues; during that phase 3' looked huge!

All of this was on the same horse.

scribbles
Feb. 16, 2010, 05:09 AM
WELL... I would have to agree with the people who say it depends on the horse...(and the day!) my old horse who I just sold had days where nothing looked big and we could jump around a 4'6 stadium course or run around cross country and jump all of the "exciting" things... And then there were the days where 3' looked TERRIFYING and I would get royally dumped on my butt.

New horse, young horse, everything looks big! But fortunately she doesn't care about the height at all herself...

lizajane09
Feb. 16, 2010, 06:13 AM
for xc prelim and up look big riding to them, walking it I am normally good through I, but sometimes they look big, depends on the fence. for SJ, wide 3'6" oxers look big,3'6' vert are ok.

Oddly enough, I've been having the opposite response in both aspects. I've been walking our Int. x-c courses going, "Oh wow these are big fences!" but riding down to them they look normal. In stadium, oxers don't usually bother me too much, but for some reason the 3'11" verticals do not look so inviting.

FoxChaser
Feb. 16, 2010, 07:16 AM
Tables on x-c. Just tables. Usually there is one big looking one at every level, but when you get to training and above, they are what look the biggest and most imposing to me. When I worry the night before a ride, it is always about the tables, yet they seem to ride the easiest of anything for my horses :)

deltawave
Feb. 16, 2010, 07:20 AM
Stadium? The only fence that ever made me go *gulp* was a big Swedish oxer at the Maui Jim CIC* years ago. (obviously I don't point my horsey's nose at level 6 jumper stuff, I'm talking "jumps I've actually had to jump" here) Stadium usually doesn't freak me out too much.

XC? Square-faced tables, hate 'em. And things with ditches. :eek:

SparklePlenty
Feb. 16, 2010, 08:27 AM
LL Smurf here -

I'm pretty brave and have a horse that's pretty brave - but i get caught up on benches and tall verticals...

Ajierene
Feb. 16, 2010, 08:48 AM
Nothing in stadium really bothers me. Poles 'hanging' in the air do tend to look bigger than they are - that is, putting a vertical up at about 3' and not having any poles, gates or anything under it. I grew up in hunter world and had a kind of 'over it or through it' attitude.

Cross country is different, though...over it or through it does not happen in cross country. Trakehners are my enemy there, but I am working through it. I do not have as forgiving a horse and she will refuse if I get nervous and do something like take my leg off...so that does not help.

The 'biggest', scariest jump ever, though, was a...um...trakehner type drop...I do not know the proper term. There was a log as a ground line, then a log hanging in the air and the landing side was lower than the take off side. It was at Radnor Hunt Club the one time that I know of that they opened their course to schooling.

I made it over that jump and it is probably the high light of my career with my horse. It was also a GREAT confidence booster!

Catalina
Feb. 16, 2010, 09:03 AM
Back when I was doing the jumpers anything under 3'6" was a speed bump. I regularly jumped 4' and even did a 4'9" course once my senior year in college (that was a thrill and a half). Several years went by that I was riding greenies and I also had a kid (that alone makes the jumps look bigger). Now, anything over 3' looks HUGE- and even 3' looks big sometimes. I did my first Training last year at Morven in the fall and the stadium seemed gigantic and the XC was enormous. I am slowly getting the confidence back that I lost, but I don't think I will ever jump 4'9" again :lol:.

scubed
Feb. 16, 2010, 09:36 AM
Depends what I am sitting on, but assuming a horse that I was relatively sure could jump the jumps, big oxers coming out of corner that are 3'9" and bigger look big in the Stadium (In 2008, sitting on the former *** horse, nothing at preliminary looked big). XC tables don't bother me much, but big drops look big and brush fences look big if they are prelim max (thanks to my former horse who would inevitably jump the entire thing).

starkissed
Feb. 16, 2010, 09:59 AM
3'6" in the ring- on my good horses. With the green ones it really depends.

XC, about the same thing- I don't measure XC ones very much, but a lot of the training level jumps seem quite big! I know my horse can do them. We could probably do some prelim jumps, but a preliminary course would be very intimidating for me! The eventing jumps, although smaller, seem way bigger. Out foxhunting a 3'6" coop is common and I don't usually think too much of it, but a big old eventing table at 3'6" is a different story!

edited to say after reading thses- I can't IMAGINE jumping a 4'6" show jumping course! ahh! heck let along 4ft. I trust my horses, but they have had me as their trainer- they definitely couldn't navigate 4ft+ on their own because I would be hanging on with my eyes closed!

amastrike
Feb. 16, 2010, 11:03 AM
Wow, the Ambien was really acting up.. I have absolutely no recollection of making this post :eek:.

I know there's a lot of variety with the horse you're on and what kind of day you're having. My goal for the year is to get out of my "OMG, 2' is HUGE!!" mindset. When I get my jump course set up, I'm going to have one crossrail and everything else is going to be 2' minimum. Because really, 2' is nothing. I know it's nothing. I see pictures of myself jumping 2' and it's tiny. This post is kind of to give me a gauge to see what height is really something respectable (or at least I think it is, as I can't remember posting in the first place :lol:).

deltawave
Feb. 16, 2010, 12:03 PM
Wow, the Ambien was really acting up.. I have absolutely no recollection of making this post Hee hee, makes you wonder what else you did last night. :winkgrin:

sch1star
Feb. 16, 2010, 12:07 PM
It seems that every level looks small when you and your horse are ready for it, and then big again when you re-approach it at a different time, with a different horse etc.

Bobthehorse
Feb. 16, 2010, 12:13 PM
It completely depends on the horse you are sitting on.

Boy is that right. On my older gelding, 4' is big. On my young one.....over 3' is big (mostly because he still overjumps everything by at least a foot).

subk
Feb. 16, 2010, 12:17 PM
My goal for the year is to get out of my "OMG, 2' is HUGE!!" mindset.
Change the words you use in you mind. 2' (or 3' or 4') is not "huge," "scary" or "frightening" it is a "challenge," "test" or a "goal." Don't tell you self that you don't or can't jump 3'. Tell your self you are not jumping 3' it YET. Ban negativity, and if you don't think that way don't TALK that way! Then try not to be around people who talk with those negative patterns either--at least don't walk courses with them...

Hey Mickey
Feb. 16, 2010, 12:28 PM
Well, I'm the young fearless type on a bold horse...

The only jump that has made me go "oh sh*t" was when I was schooling at the KY HP on my own and I saw an oxar that I'd never jumped so I was a ways away from it and just galloped up to it, got to the base of the jump and was like "oh my this is huge" and jumped it anyways.... turns out it was a big Intermediate oxar...

also 3'6 staduim jumps in competition look huge, but schooling 3'9 or 4 ft at home doesn't.

DiablosHalo
Feb. 16, 2010, 01:12 PM
Ok... I guess I can finally out myself- as the chicken I really am! Back in my younger/smaller days I did preliim with no fear of anything for awhile. Then had a fall and was afraid of anything downhill.

Now...it's 12+ years later. I'm older, wiser, and heavier. Anything that does not have a "vee" in the middle (as in... a crossrail) is too big! LOL! I'm aspiring to get back out and do elementary this year. I won't even sign up for lessons bc don't want trainers seeing me as such a chicken!

HER
Feb. 16, 2010, 01:16 PM
It definitely depends on the horse. On my current horse, who is also my "highest" horse, we have jumped a few 4 foot verticals and it didn't feel that big. But out on xc...most prelim and up tables look huge. And then there are certain jumps...like the Weldons wall sitting out in the field at Jackie's, even though the one at South Farm jumped fine. I guess each course usually has a few scary ones, but it's gotten less as we've gotten more experience at the level. But since prelim is the highest I've jumped ever I feel pretty good when some intermediate fences don't look too bad! :)

Ishi
Feb. 16, 2010, 01:31 PM
This one (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/FlyACK/Napa/IMG_5085.jpg) at Millbrook Advanced 2009. That's me standing in front and I'm 5'10 it sure looked big to me. Can you see me behind this one (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/FlyACK/Napa/Millbrookoxer.jpg) also at Millbrook? The first one looks big to me, that's for sure!

It really does depend who I'm sitting on. On Donut, a Novice Oxer (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/FlyACK/Moren%20Park%20HT/IMG_5541.jpg) looked big coming down to it, but on my old horse 4'9 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/FlyACK/Bartok.jpg) wasn't so big at all. Just totally depends. Then again, most Advanced fences look huge to me.

ps I've never gone Advanced, just Intermediate which can be big but always seemed to 'ride smaller' then it walked for me.

cnvh
Feb. 16, 2010, 02:04 PM
I'm a wuss, now that I'm a grown-up... I finally got confident again at 2' last fall, and 2'6" JUST stopped looking intimidating. Our goal for this season is to go BN at a starter trial, so we'll see!!

The highest XC my horse and I have jumped was the chevrons at FPP last summer... I think they're about 2'9" maybe? We were following some other riders from our barn on a XC school and I don't think me OR my horse realized just how big that jump was until we were in midair over it... By then, of course, it was too late to change our minds. :)

RAyers
Feb. 16, 2010, 02:16 PM
To me it all depends on the horse. I had a 15 hand mare that I jumped above 4' on a regular basis. I had a 17 hand gelding that topped out at 3'. When you start seeing the fences like the horse you are riding then what is "big" has a different meaning.

On my recently retired guy nothing looked big (heck 6' was doable [didable?]). I would walk a course with fences over my head and say, "Looks like we are jumping 5' today." Take my mom's big 17.2 hand WB and I get a pit in stomach at 2'6".

Reed

amastrike
Feb. 16, 2010, 02:17 PM
Hee hee, makes you wonder what else you did last night. :winkgrin:

I know! I probably posted this just before I went to bed, as I keep my laptop next to my bed. Hopefully I didn't do anything else before I fell asleep :lol:.

RAyers
Feb. 16, 2010, 02:28 PM
....This post is kind of to give me a gauge to see what height is really something respectable (or at least I think it is, as I can't remember posting in the first place :lol:).

Good, competent, considered and executed riding is respectable at any height. A 5' fence rides like a 2' fence when you are riding correctly. There is very little change other some body angles.

Reed

Dawnd
Feb. 16, 2010, 02:31 PM
Everything looks big at the start of a jumping lesson. Things slowly get smaller in my head. If I haven't jumped for awhile things look bigger then they are.

The Cordwood at Rolex (http://gallery.me.com/dawnd#100015/IMG_0201) looks really, really big.

yellowbritches
Feb. 16, 2010, 02:44 PM
Honestly, show jumping at just about any level makes me gulp, but we are learning this is a stage fright issue and are working on THAT. The fences themselves aren't that bad, the stage fright seems to make them seem that bad! :lol:

But it DOES depend on what I'm sitting on. On my dearly departed Ralph and Reilly, I would canter down to anything on them. Reilly made everything seem tiny, at his massive 17.2 (though he did make everything ride bigger since he'd spook at everything mid flight). Ralph was fearless, so he made me fearless. I remember schooling him at Rubicon one time, toward the end of his career. I made a bonehead mistake and tipped off, and he, being a nappy bastard, ran home. We got him back, and the boss said "Just go gallop a couple of easy fences." I jumped some little bench and then just kept a nice rhythm up the hill to one of the big prelim tables and jumped it right out of stride. It SEEMED easy...Ralph and I didn't think much of it. The boss, thankfully not mad, thought my idea of "easy" was a little askew.

I am also pretty much fearless on Vernon, which I have to be careful with, considering how green he really is (he doesn't feel green). I've yet to see a fence that I wasn't sure we could negotiate well.

However, if I'm popping over fences on St. Spike, 2'6" makes me gulp. He's terribly un-athletic, and has to be ridden really, really well to get the right canter for the fence. He does improve with practice, but I rarely get to school him over fences, so it stays a little hair raising! :lol:

I have to say that while a xc fence might look big and imposing, my normal reaction to them is "that looks like fun." Even Rolex fences. Show jumps are another story, though.

Beam Me Up
Feb. 16, 2010, 03:04 PM
For me it totally depends on the horse and is not entirely rational.

On my old horse (who was brave and powerful, but neither particularly nice nor safe, truth be told), I did a few Level 5 A/O classes and wasn't scared at all.

My "project horse" I had at the same time, I was a little afraid to jump more than 2'6 or so--it just wasn't for him.

The current horse got to jump about 12 tiny jumps before the ice age set in here, so with him it was like "is this 18" log too big for Clifford?"

I can't wait for the thaw!

NeverTime
Feb. 16, 2010, 03:04 PM
Anything, at any height, that involves two fences with less than a stride between them. I am 100% bounce-phobic.

This one (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/FlyACK/Napa/IMG_5085.jpg) at Millbrook Advanced 2009. That's me standing in front and I'm 5'10 it sure looked big to me. Can you see me behind this one (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/FlyACK/Napa/Millbrookoxer.jpg) also at Millbrook? The first one looks big to me, that's for sure!

Awww... Millbrook 2009 (http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Orderpage.aspx?pi=08JQ014K0M0005&po=5&pc=42) was the last event my pony and I completed before The Accident. Makes me all misty. Despite my ever-swinging left leg, that corner jumps just fine, thanks to the ditch groundline. The other one you posted, the brush/corn oxer, both looks and rides big with the ground angling away on the landing, but so much fun!

Ishi
Feb. 16, 2010, 03:23 PM
NeverTime, did you get that picture framed? You guys look great, I looked through the other pictures, what an awesome athletic and gorgeous horse, I love her (his?) expression on cross country! I'm sorry about the accident, I can't imagine havng a horse like that and then something happening :sadsmile:

I still think that corner/ditch jump at Millbrook was one big momma of a jump and I didn't even have to jump it!

The Centaurian
Feb. 16, 2010, 03:30 PM
The first time I jumped 3'6" I remember thinking "I could probably duck under that fence just as easily as jump it." I had just started leasing my large pony, and it was the first time I wasn't looking DOWN at the fences :lol:

Jumps without ground lines can still look pretty big to me sometimes. Maybe because it's harder to see a distance?

There is a local farm that hosts a few schooling horse trials a year, and a pasture gate on the XC course just looks huge to me, even though it must be under 3'. It is kind of a skinny thing, hung way off the ground, and even though it has been years since I have showed there, I still vividly remember approaching it with a little prayer under my breath.

Of course, my horse had no problem with that one, but he refused the 2' log. :lol:

starkissed
Feb. 16, 2010, 03:56 PM
WOW, beautiful horses and lovely rider!!

It really does depend who I'm sitting on. On Donut, a Novice Oxer (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/FlyACK/Moren%20Park%20HT/IMG_5541.jpg) looked big coming down to it, but on my old horse 4'9 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/FlyACK/Bartok.jpg) wasn't so big at all. Just totally depends. Then again, most Advanced fences look huge to me.

ps I've never gone Advanced, just Intermediate which can be big but always seemed to 'ride smaller' then it walked for me.

Threeday33
Feb. 16, 2010, 05:03 PM
I agree that it is directly related to the horse you are riding. Last year, I jumped a 14.2 hand halflinger pony around the novice course at Southern Pines. After walking xc, I had to call the pony's previous rider and have her reassure me that the pony really could jump that big. It looked huge!!! However, on Harley, who I competed intermediate and advanced last year (and have been competing for 6 years), nothing looked big xc until Richland Advanced...I wanted to go home after walking the xc course! With him, in SJ, I worry about airy verticals with no groundlines, even if they are 3'6". It isn't that they look big...I just know they require a good ride or he might have a rail. I thought my first advanced SJ at Maui Jim looked huge (the whole course)! My last event horse (who ended up being sold as a showjumper) made me think 4' in the SJ ring was small. He could jump a huge fence without touching it!

amastrike
Feb. 16, 2010, 06:29 PM
Good, competent, considered and executed riding is respectable at any height. A 5' fence rides like a 2' fence when you are riding correctly. There is very little change other some body angles.

Reed
Thank you for that. You're right--when my horse is going well and I'm riding correctly, I'm comfortable at the high end of my ability (which is 3'-ish). When things aren't going well, anything bigger than a cross-rail is intimidating. I'll remember your post when I'm getting nervous.. although I'm quite certain I will never be jumping a 5' fence :lol:. I've done 3'6" once, and don't think I'd ever do more than a 3'6" course.

kookicat
Feb. 16, 2010, 06:50 PM
The only thing I've thought 'crap, that's big!' when I was riding up to it was a 3'9 table on a bit of a slope. It just looked huge. Jumped well enough though!

skip916
Feb. 16, 2010, 09:09 PM
on the 15.2 quarter horse gelding i used to lease- a 3'6" stadium course felt like a 2'3" one and it was fun! he was so clean behind that he would practically snap you off his back coming over fences!

on my new ottb who jumps an 18" vertical like its a 3' square oxer- everything feels big at the moment! and currently, she won't jump crossrails at all and shows off her very best and quite correct half pass right out of their way... no matter their height- which is a little frustrating!

anything training or above XC feels big to me! given a confident horse- i would jump a puissance wall in stadium though! :) its my favorite!

mcw
Feb. 16, 2010, 09:23 PM
Absolutely agree that it has to do with the horse you are on. On something well schooled and athletic, intermediate was where I started to say the rosary. I have taken quite a few greenies to their first events, and knowing that your teammate doesn't have a clue at the same time that your steering and brakes are still a bit suspect can make those BN fences look huge!

kkindley
Feb. 16, 2010, 09:41 PM
My last horse I owned (which was a few years ago, before my hiatus) I felt comfortable jumping about anything. We never had the opportunity to show at any big events but he was super athletic and would jump about anything. I remember messing around bareback and the other girls setting up jumps. I jumped this one that when I got off I realized was 3'9". Didn't look that high from on the horse, but from the ground I was like eek! That was bareback in a halter and leadrope!

With my new mare, a rail on the ground is slightly intimidating! Trotted rails on the ground for the first time the other day on her and she jumped them in sets of two! It was very cute, took her a while to figure out she could trot through them same as she walks through them. So much fun seing them learn to jump!

Carol Ames
Feb. 16, 2010, 11:07 PM
It depends on whose ears you are looking between:yes:; I agree that a 4 foot vertical looks smaller:yes: than a 4foot oxer or, do I trust myself more?

eventingismylife
Feb. 17, 2010, 12:45 AM
I truly believe it depends on the horse. I had a 14.2 solid bred paint mare that I took through bn, and 3' was quite the stretch for her. She took every question xc beautifully- tables were a piece of cake (all xc was tiny riding her), but she thought stadium was jumping a 4' round. My last horse was a 17hh TB mare that looooved to jump, 3' for her was like 18". She really soared.

AmandaandTuff
Feb. 17, 2010, 10:59 AM
On the horse I'm on now anything over 3' makes me think twice. She's green and I'm coming off a huge confidence bust.

On XC anything over 2'6" makes me close my eyes and pray. I'm lucky my green girl hauls me over safely. I'm slowly starting to get back in the groove.

TheBrownHorse
Feb. 17, 2010, 11:07 AM
At 3'9-4' fences on the ground look too big for me. On the horse, no problem, I'd say at 4'3" they'd start to look like a "big fence" to me. but when I hop off after a lesson and see the fence height?! :0

Back in my eventing days, I remember when walking the T XC was HUGE.

sch1star
Feb. 17, 2010, 10:28 PM
At 3'9-4' fences on the ground look too big for me. On the horse, no problem, I'd say at 4'3" they'd start to look like a "big fence" to me. but when I hop off after a lesson and see the fence height?! :0

Back in my eventing days, I remember when walking the T XC was HUGE.

See your line -- then "step away from the jump"!

Nomini
Feb. 18, 2010, 10:02 PM
My personal definition of a big fence is dependent on how much "help" the horse I'm sitting on needs to jump it. If I can ride quietly to a 4' fence without doing anything in particular to change the way the horse is going to jump it, its not that big. If the horse needs setting up and encouragement and a prayer over 2'6, its big.

My pony makes me think Prelim fences are tiny (first "big" fence I met on her was had a brush I couldn't see over coming up the hill to it), and I didn't run into actual big fences until Intermediate. My little green TB now makes training level fences feel big. My boarder that I train makes me hang on for dear life over BN. Basically, if I set a course up all at the same height and sit on all 3 horses, something happens in my head that morphs each fence into tiny, acceptable, and humongous.

Thats one of the reasons that the hardcore pros that can ride 6 horses at 4 levels in a single day and make it look leasy boggle my mind!

GilbertsCreeksideAcres
Feb. 18, 2010, 10:11 PM
Picnic tables. I have never jumped one, but I saw one on a cross country course once and I have worried about jumping one ever since.

Mtn trails
Feb. 19, 2010, 07:15 PM
The first time on x-c with my mustang at B/N the table as the last jump looked huge and I chickened out at the last minute and circled and came back and jumped it. I should have trusted my horse. I think tables and rolltops look very inviting to jump even though they sometimes look imposing to me. I actually like banks, up or down, I trail ride a lot so they have never been an issue.

In stadium, however, anything over 3'6" with a wide spread gives me an anxiety attack.

I jumped a picnic table at an event years ago. Actually jumped really well and horse didn't even look at it.

eventer_mi
Feb. 19, 2010, 07:53 PM
A lot of times it's all in your head. I had a green draft cross, and when I would school him XC, I didn't walk up to the jumps first - it was more like, "go jump that brush" and I would. Afterwards, I walked the course and thought, "those are BIG!". Things look smaller to me if I'm on the back of a horse, especially one I trust.

I can walk a course and think "that's not too bad", but then I picture myself on the back of a horse and the perspective changes.

Stadium will always look big to me, regardless of height. I have stage fright, too, I guess, and I'm more afraid of jumps that come down, for some reason. I tend to either override or underride them. I could never be a show-jumper for that reason.

Whoever said that they're bounce-phobic, count me in! I also don't care for one strides much - if you get in wrong, it's fugly all the way through.

2horseowner
Feb. 19, 2010, 09:49 PM
I am glad to know there are others w/ stadium jump phobias. What is it about stadium fences that make me and others freak out? I agree, I could never do the jumpers either.

amastrike
Feb. 19, 2010, 10:45 PM
Whoever said that they're bounce-phobic, count me in! I also don't care for one strides much - if you get in wrong, it's fugly all the way through.

I hate short lines.. anything less than 5 strides is scary. This is because I learned to jump on a horse who would flat out gallop at fences and then stop dirty right at the base. Short lines didn't give me enough time to get him slowed enough to approach the next fence safely.

redears
Feb. 20, 2010, 06:52 AM
It depends on the horse, and the day, and where you are in training :)

In 2007 I walked the Trott Brook course and over half the jumps looked HUGE to me, I boarded at an eventing barn at the time that had an XC course at home, but the jumps weren't... wide! Like that. Anyway, I psyched myself out so much that I psyched my mare out and we didn't even make it out of the start box.

In 2009 I rode almost the exact same course, in, walking the course, the jumps looked small, the novice looked small, the training looked a little big ;) My mare and I cruised around the XC course, the main challenges being the land-bridges :rolleyes:

Sometimes, I don't really realize the size of things. I wanted to school 2'6" one day and my friend informed me I was schooling 3'3", well geez no wonder it felt big.

My QH is 14.3 and jumps in a huge knee-snapping style, he is so friggen adorable. A lot of jumps seem big when I'm on him. I don't jump him or ride him much now until I lose some weight because he is a little horse and I have put on some weight (already being over) due to a vitamin deficiency. My trainer's daughters ride him, one does w/t and one is starting cross rails with him, they fit him better and seem to do a better job jumping with him too.

mcw
Feb. 20, 2010, 10:32 AM
I am glad to know there are others w/ stadium jump phobias. What is it about stadium fences that make me and others freak out? I agree, I could never do the jumpers either.

Oh I hate show jumps. I think it is all the air in between the poles that makes them look worse. Give me a solid fence that I can gallop to any day. One of my best friends does the big show jumpers, and we regularly argue over who is crazier over a few beers.

cranky
Feb. 20, 2010, 12:16 PM

I definitely get more nervous about stadium than I do for XC. And for some reason the SJ jumps look a bit bigger to me (I'm only riding BN though, so nothing is very big really, it's all just a mental thing). I think part of my nerves might be because I know I'm riding for an audience, on XC I can almost convince myself that my horse and I are alone out there.