PDA

View Full Version : beginning jumping

sunnycher
Feb. 15, 2010, 08:41 PM
I posted this on H/J, too, but would appreciate any/all input. Thanks.

I have a 4 y.o 15 hh belgian/qh cross, cute as a bug's ear, started last fall, solid w/t/c. I am wanting to start her over fences, (tiny). She's great on the lunge o/f, tight, bold & easy. She does trot poles and I have jumped her over an X, and caveletti no problem.

My question, what is your progression once you 'start' them over fences. I'm looking for specific exercises, poles, X rails to small vertical. My hubby is building a XCountry schooling course as I speak, from log on ground to 2'6" or so, and she lunges over all of it just fine.

I will start taking lessons as the weather improves, and want to ride her baby novice at our local event derbies. She is great out on the trail, really a cutie, I want to play around with her and have my husband ride her, could be his horse.

Thanks so much.

retreadeventer
Feb. 15, 2010, 10:03 PM
Sunnycher, I would recommend taking another peek at J. Wofford's book, Training the three-day horse and rider.

It's sort of the bible of eventing and Woff, sort of, well we call him God.

He lays out a very clear training program.

If you have never started a horse over fences, you sort of need to take a look at where you want to be -- Beginner Novice -- reading the directives and objectives of the dressage and jumping divisions -- and work backwards. If you have already, then you have an idea of what you need to do.

I always try and get a lesson with my instructor as soon as the green horse is w/t/c and jumping x's to sort of get a baseline view of what the horse needs from me, and where we should be spending most of our time -- either dressage, jumping, gymnastics to tighten up form or slow a rusher, etc. I try and take what is communicated and work on it until the next lesson, sort of taking on one area at a time.

An event horse needs the dressage AND the jumping, so the H/J people may have a different sort of schedule. I highly recommend reading also some of the good green horse articles that have been published in the US Event Horse magazine and at Equisearch. Craig Thompson had a really good green horse series that they published and some of the articles may be at his website (Don't know -- havent checked it lately).

Oh and don't miss the educational eventing videos online, I think there might be a few that address green horse introductory stuff.
(I have a list at the hollihorse.wordpress.com blog page)

Good luck!!

lstevenson
Feb. 16, 2010, 12:11 AM
I usually start with lots of little grids to educate them on how to think about their footwork and use their bodies correctly. And yes, Jimmy's books would be a great guide. Especially his gridwork/jumping excercise book.

I would also pop over (at the trot) lots of little logs and x-c jumps for fun and experience on different footing and terrian.

Have fun!