PDA

View Full Version : Help: Having a Crisis!

eventr4life
Feb. 15, 2010, 08:00 PM
Im not sure if this is really okay to put up here or if people even care but why not...
On November 24, 2009 i had ACL surgery on my knee i started riding again on January 17(?)- the doctor said i could do some light riding. After that i started riding again like normal - my knee was totally fine didnt hurt at all and when i get off i just land on my good leg.
I have already signed up for shows this spring(novice) - i have gone XC schooling etc. and this weekend im planning to go to a CT.
My mom is know reconsidering all of this in fear i could tear my ACL again - all the PTs and Doctors are very impressed with how fast i recovered and im ahead in PT(physical therapy).
Anyways my question: Right now can i tear my ACL again if i do fall (- which i wont - my horse is very very safe and reliable)?
What do you guys think about this?
The prognosis for full healing where there are no restrictions is at 6 months - i am at 4 months on Feb. 24.

Liz006
Feb. 15, 2010, 08:41 PM
If your doctor says you can ride then you can. Skiiers commonly tear acls and have them repaired. You can tear them again though. I'd think riding is a pretty low risk sport as there's little lateral twisting-- ask your doctor.

deltawave
Feb. 15, 2010, 08:42 PM
Of course you can tear your ACL again if you fall, same as if you could tear the other one or do any other sort of damage to yourself.

But this is no reason to not ride.

When I tore my ACL (yes, in a fall off a horse) my orthopedist gave me the OK to ride, but forbade me to fall off. :) I have fallen off a couple of times since then, and done no harm to the knee. Heck, I tripped on an uneven curb in Cozumel the other day and took a very embarrassing pratfall, and the knee was OK. And I don't even have a "sound" ACL--I'm living on 30% of the one I tore and had cleaned up but not reconstructed.

You're not made of glass, and neither is your knee. Once you have the OK to ride, you are probably as healed as you're ever going to be. Keep the quads and hamstrings strong like you learned in rehab, and live your life. :yes: It's natural to be anxious about the problem joint for a while, but that will slowly fade as you get used to feeling good again. :)

ZEBE
Feb. 15, 2010, 08:45 PM
Well, you are less than half my age, but I was super, uber fit with my leg before surgery and after. ( I was determined to start riding before they told me before surgery.. and got back to riding 3 months- but my surgeon really said not to jump for a full 10 months after surgery... I was riding every day, but really wanted to make sure I was healed, so I didn't jump for the 10 months... and one day :-) Never had a problem since. but you should really get your best advice from your surgeon. and PT people.

evntglwyr
Feb. 15, 2010, 08:54 PM
You're not made of glass, and neither is your knee. Once you have the OK to ride, you are probably as healed as you're ever going to be. Keep the quads and hamstrings strong like you learned in rehab, and live your life. :yes: It's natural to be anxious about the problem joint for a while, but that will slowly fade as you get used to feeling good again. :)

This is something that I struggled with when I came back from tearing my ACL. It was about 14 years ago and I can't remember how long it took for me to really ride again. But I can tell you that I've fallen off numerous times since then -- just this summer I went off and somehow landed on my feet then unceremoniously on my butt -- and my knee was no worse for the wear. The only thing that I have noticed is that sometimes it will ache a bit after a dismount. The only other thing that made a huge huge difference for me was getting a pair of herm sprenger stirrups. I know that people have mixed feelings on them but they are pretty much the only stirrups that I can ride in, dismount, and still be ableto walk normally after riding. I'm not sure if the HS's make the difference or whether you may want to try a pair of flex stirrups initially. They worked for me but it took me years and years before I broke down and bought them. Finally, my dr told me that I am more likely to tear my OTHER knee than my "new" knee. Good luck!

silver pine
Feb. 15, 2010, 09:41 PM
As a PT I can tell you that 16 weeks post op is when you are most likely to tear your graft. It's when the graft undergoes a period the surgeons call "Ligamentization". It's when your tendon graft structure starts to change and becomes more like a ligament- ultimately a very good thing. However they think it takes a full 30 weeks post op to complete. So the graft is at it's weakest between 16 and 30 weeks post op. Now does that mean you cant ride? A recent Pro NHL player returned to full participation after 4 months... You need to decide, and never plan on not falling off!!