PDA

View Full Version : Anti Fog Eyewear for XC?

PhoenixFarm
Feb. 15, 2010, 05:36 PM
This weekend at Ram Tap we had typical early season central valley pea soup fog. Heavy, thick, and wet.

Mr. PF had our little mare there for her first prelim, and on XC morning, the fog was BAD! Mr. PF is a glasses wearer, with contacts not an option due to his very challenging eye issues.

Well, the fog wetted up his glasses so badly, on top of the visual challenge with the fog, he ended up having to pull up three seperate times on XC in order to wipe off his glasses so he could see. So she jumped clean, but had about two minutes worth of time penalties. We were thrilled with her, but dissapointed not to get a qualifying score.

Since it's likely will be running in the fog again down there, we're trying to figure out some solution to the glasses problem. Mr. PF used to be a jockey, and nixed jockey goggles as having the same issues in the fog.

Just wondering if anyone has found a workable solution. Maybe a product to sheet the water off? He's actually fine to run in rain, as the force of the rain just sheets the water off, but in the thick fog, it's just thousands of minute droplets clinging to the lense.

Auburn
Feb. 15, 2010, 06:05 PM
Because of a problem with my eyes, I have to wear sunglasses when I ride outside. In the summer, I have fogging problems, too.

For Christmas, my DH found a product called "Cat Crap" (I truly am not joking!). I have not tried it yet, but it is supposed to keep your glasses from fogging.

He purchased the "Cat Crap" at CampMor.

ezmissg
Feb. 15, 2010, 06:46 PM
Some years ago, I bought some stuff at a bike (motorcycle) event. Obviously, same issues and safety on a Harley!

You just sprayed it on the glasses and wiped it "in". I've long since used up the stuff, and have no idea what it was called. But, you could call a Harley dealer or some other motorcycle equipment dealer and see what they might recommend.

Bobthehorse
Feb. 15, 2010, 08:24 PM
You can buy a commercial product for scuba masks, but most people just use spit. Hork a good loogie on there, wipe it around, and rinse it off. I have only tried it underwater, so no guarantees. But its cheap!

lstevenson
Feb. 16, 2010, 12:03 AM
What about Rain-x (usually for car windshields)?

dixiedolphin
Feb. 16, 2010, 08:40 AM
Another defog trick learned from scuba diving... Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo.

If spit is too 'ick' for ya, a lot of divers swear by squirting a little J&J baby shampoo on the inside of the glass, wiping it around, then rinsing it out with clean water. Works great for dive masks, so I imagine it would probably work fairly well for glasses/sunglasses too. And less germy than spit.

vineyridge
Feb. 16, 2010, 09:13 AM
It is possible to buy glasses from the opticians that come with a permanent anti-fog coating. Shooters and gun hunters are the primary market, but I got mine for canoeing. The only problem with them is that, at the time I got mine, some of the other coating wouldn't work with them. I believe that it didn't/doesn't work with Transitions automatic sunglasses.

At any rate, it is definitely something to look into for your next pair of sport eyeglasses.

eventer@heart
Feb. 16, 2010, 10:01 AM
Cat Crap or other products aimed at swimming/diving would be safer than Rain-X, I think. I have used several brands and also spit and Baby Shampoo and all work about equally as well on plastic goggles (I am a triathlete when note eventing).

You'd have to try to see which is best with glass lenses. Good luck - sounds frustrating.

Major congrats on your mare's accomplishement :)

PhoenixFarm
Feb. 16, 2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I kind of mislabeled this topic, because it's really anti-moisture. His lenses didn't fog up, they got very wet and streaky while running through the thick, wet fog. Because it wasn't actually raining, the water just clung, rather than run off.

He says he's used Cat Crap before and it worked well, but he doesn't think it would solve this problem. Rain-X is really the closest to what we need, but would be scared to put that on his glasses if no one else has tried it, LOL.

kkindley
Feb. 16, 2010, 10:21 PM
When operating either my motorcycle or an open hatch vehicle at work, I sweat by my Wiley X's. I also have gloves that have a small rubber thing on the top of the thumb. You use this like a little windsheld wiper. No need to stop just swipe it and it's kinda like a squegee. since it's on top, it's not in your way. Another option is tear off's. Fox (dirtbike gear maker) has awesome goggles that come with tear off's! I haven't tried them, but the goggles themselves are very nice!

TheBrownHorse
Feb. 17, 2010, 11:01 AM
I just had to laugh because as soon as I read this title I knew EXACTLY what show grounds it was going to be at :p

I remember Yves saying "Eif eye can sea Meye hand, *places hand out in front of himself* vwe vill jump"

Good luck H, hopefully I'll come groom for KT F at some shows and will run into you there.

(this is Rachel btw, used to ride for Z)