PDA

View Full Version : field or dress boots???

SharkFinn
Feb. 12, 2010, 05:58 PM
which do you prefer and why? which is more "correct" in eventing? im just doing BN this year but plan on going to the AEC in the fall and continue to move up the levels. i love Ariats, they have field and dress in the style i want.

bornfreenowexpensive
Feb. 12, 2010, 06:58 PM
I like the look and comfort of field boots.

For eventing, especially the levels Prelim and below....either is fine. For upper levels of dressage...the dress boots are more correct.

The bigger question many people seem to struggle with is zippers or no zippers:)

yellowbritches
Feb. 12, 2010, 07:58 PM
ZIPPERS!!!! :lol: I'll never go back to no zippers.

BFNE is right, though. Either are more than fine for the lower levels, so which ever is most comfy. Dress are more formal and more appropriate for dressage at the higher levels, but, really, would field boots ever be noticed?

Mine are field (with zippers), though I had intended on replacing my old pull ons with dress. However, when you run across boots with zippers that were practically MADE for you, practically brand new, and the deal of a lifetime, you really don't care much that they are field instead of dress! :yes:

deltawave
Feb. 13, 2010, 09:54 AM
Whichever you prefer is absolutely fine.

gottagrey
Feb. 13, 2010, 11:04 PM
I'm old school and from my side-saddle days have to say I prefer the look of dress boots (dress as in Hunting, not dressage). Dressage boots usually have more lining and a stiffer lining where your dress boots (hunting, showing) would have a softer lining and might be partially lined making them more comfortable.

As others have mentioned, it's totally up to you - sometimes field boots are easier to get into if you have a high arch/instep.

And I would have to say go for the zippers; it is so much nicer not to have to drag along boot pulls and jack everywhere you go:lol:

eventingismylife
Feb. 13, 2010, 11:18 PM
Like everyone else has said, either or is fine for the lower levels. Most likely you will see more people wearing field boots for all 3 phases than dress, no body cares though. You wont get marked down for it.

echodecker
Feb. 14, 2010, 10:52 AM
I think these are much more popular in the H/J world, but I tried a pair on at Dover yesterday and they FIT LIKE GLOVES! Nothing ever fits me right because I have giant size 11 feet and tall skinny calves. Has anyone here used them? I'm concerned about how they will hold up for eventing...water, etc. They are gorgeous, but also very expensive and I'm not willing to replace them after a couple of years...

Any thoughts?

jvk8
Feb. 14, 2010, 01:17 PM
My vote would be for dress boots. Field boots are more of a hunter ring thing.

But you want "hunter" dress boots and not "dressage" dress boots. The dress boots made specifically for dressage have stiffeners so the ankles don't sag -- but you want yours to break at the ankle so you can shorten your stirrups and jump :-)

Dress boots will have you lookin' good (and appropriate) in dressage, the hunt field (where field boots are frowned upon), and eventing.

And you could even sneak into the hunter/jumper ring once in a while and be OK.

Hilary
Feb. 14, 2010, 03:19 PM
I prefer dress boots - I think they look cleaner and are certainly easier to polish.

But it's up to you. Often unless you go custom if you have high arches dress are harder to get into. (wow, that is one grammatically incorrect sentence!)

asterix
Feb. 14, 2010, 04:28 PM
I don't know about field boots being more of a 'hunter ring thing' -- everyone I know who events at BN-Prelim rides in field boots, maybe because there seem to be more options out there size and price wise...

anyway, buy what fits and what your budget can afford. You'll be absolutely fine.

Liebe-ist-Krieg
Feb. 14, 2010, 09:03 PM
either.
I compete at Intermediate in Tredstep half chaps and paddock boots. No one has ever noticed and its legal for Horse Trials (and possibly FEI? can anyone confirm/deny?)

Chesnut_Mare
Feb. 16, 2010, 07:41 PM
Both are totally correct, i personally find that dress boots are easier in terms of cleaning and upkeep. Make sure you buy ones with zippers on the back of the calf, without that they are a PAIN to get on and off (made that mistake, i would know). I have heard some not so good things about ariats though from many of the riders at the barn where I board at, apparently the zippers/laces don't hold up to well, but I have never personally owned a pair so this may not be true. Ultimately, get something that is comfortable and functional.