PDA

View Full Version : Barn Aisles- Whats your favorite?

buschkn
Feb. 11, 2010, 08:49 PM
Trying to decide what to do with my barn aisle in my new barn. It is a big barn, so the aisle is 12 x 150. Things I've thought of...

-Brushed concrete
-Concrete stamped/stained to look like bricks or stone
-Interlocking Rubber Mats
-Brick pavers

I love rubber pavers but they are just too expensive I think.

Any other thoughts/ideas on what you did or have seen that you liked? It is a really nice barn so I want to have it be functional but look classy without breaking the bank. If possible! TIA!!

tanderson
Feb. 11, 2010, 08:51 PM
I asked a similar question and it seems like most people favour the brushed concrete:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243186

fordtraktor
Feb. 11, 2010, 10:41 PM
If money were not an object, I love the rubber pavers too.

One alternative that is grippier, IMO, than brushed concrete and looks better too -- paving with 4 inch solid cinderblocks. We did this in our barn aisle and it looks great. Every other row there is a gap half a cinderblock long at the edge, due to the interlocking nature. Instead of cutting the blocks we put three bricks in the gaps to make it a little interesting. I think it looks pretty chic. No need to grout or anything if you have a good base (we have rock covered by leveled gravel). Ours is more than 10 years old and still looks fabulous.

I don't think I have a picture but if if is something you are interested in let me know and I'll try to take a picture when I go home at the end of March.

Huntertwo
Feb. 11, 2010, 10:46 PM
I work at a barn that is fully paved in rubber pavers. Barn aisle, tack room, bathroom, feed room.

Great to look at, great footing for the horses.

A real #itch to sweep!!!!!!

I sweep first, then use a leaf blower, sweep again and there are still bits of shavings left behind....:mad:

If I built my own barn, I'd never install those...

Chall
Feb. 11, 2010, 10:50 PM
Hey, surfing around I found this .
From
http://www.equishopper.com/t-article-SafeFootingBarnAisles.aspx
( regarding mats or pavers)
-----------------------
"No Yellow Brick Roads, Please!
Before you match your new aisle flooring to your stable colors, consider which colors your horse might prefer. A recent study performed by researchers at Nottingham Trent University in England found that horses are less comfortable stepping onto yellow, white, black or blue floors than onto green, red, brown or gray floors. As the study horses were led onto colored mats, they were timed and monitored for any change in behavior. Most of their adverse reactions (such as startling or hesitating) to the yellow, white, black and blue mats occurred just before they stepped onto or walked past them. When the less-preferred mats were hung on the walls, however, the horses were much more willing to walk past them."

Mary in Area 1
Feb. 11, 2010, 11:54 PM
I have a barn with large aisles and a long connector to the indoor. The base is concrete but we laid regular black rubber mats all along the aisles, everywhere. The same mats are in the stalls, grooming stalls, wash stalls, feed room, etc.

The only place that is different is the tack room/bathroom/office/laundry room. That area is tiled with area carpets.

It is very safe, comfy for horses and humans, quiet and easy to sweep if you wish too. However, with that much area to cover, we have a large industrial vacuum which is FABULOUS!

MistyBlue
Feb. 12, 2010, 08:35 AM
Don't some saddleseat barns use shavings in their aisle? As both a storage spot for bedding and as footing so they can work their horses in the aisle? Not that this is a suggestion to do the same...was just wondering where I had heard or read that.

JSwan
Feb. 12, 2010, 08:38 AM
We did brick pavers and I LOVE them.

A very high sand content - very grippy - horse's do not slip.

I do wear through brooms, though.

f4leggin
Feb. 12, 2010, 08:40 AM
I have had rubber stall mats in my barn aisle - really liked it- it was an alternative to the more expensive pavers (the rubber mats sat on concrete). When the aisle concrete was poured I had them leave a 1/4 " lip on the edges to hold the mats in. I blew the barn out with a leaf blower after stall cleaning daily. My current barn is just dirt - which actually is OK, since I'm the only user of the barn.