PDA

View Full Version : feeding pond fish

paintjumper
Feb. 11, 2010, 12:36 PM
What do you guys use? The feed store has floating fish feed but it is $20 for 20#!!! The feed guy said I could use hog feed but I'm not sure about that? Any cheaper ideas?

Huckleberry86
Feb. 11, 2010, 12:42 PM
I am assuming you are talking about the normal goldfish/koi/comet variety pondfish.
You can supplement their food with romaine lettuce, frozen peas, and sliced oranges. At the zoo I worked at our pondfish were fed pellets 3x a week and given the fresh foods every day. Also if you go to a specialty pet store you can probably get a smaller size bag. 20# will last you years!

paintjumper
Feb. 11, 2010, 01:05 PM
I mean bream, catfish, bass and such. We have not been diligent about fishing and the pond is becoming overstocked. I will be fishing out some in the next few months but until the weather gets nicer, I wanted to toss out some fish feed, but not at $1+ a pound!!!
The pond is several ACRES big, so 20# is gone in a 1/2 day!!!

OlmosHeaven
Feb. 19, 2010, 06:44 PM
The goldfish in my water troughs are really happy when I toss in some crumbles from the bags of breeders cubes for our cows. Maybe the farm fish would like that, too. Fifty pound bag shouldn't be more than $10. The cubes should be easy to break up with a hammer.

Tom King
Feb. 19, 2010, 07:35 PM
The cheapest dogfood you can find. We have people here at the lake that feed fish off their docks. The catfish come rolling to the surface when they hear someone walking on their docks and stick their heads out of the water asking for it.

JFJ
Feb. 19, 2010, 08:04 PM
Someone told my Mother Cheerio's were the best thing to feed them, but I'm not sure what kind of fish she has.

Catersun
Feb. 20, 2010, 10:00 AM
Someone told my Mother Cheerio's were the best thing to feed them, but I'm not sure what kind of fish she has.

Just because someone said it somewhere once upon a time doesn't make it true.

Dumor puts out a pond fish food that is carried at tractor supply. 50lb bags. I wouldn't feed more than 10 lbs a day even in a couple acre pond. You don't want the fish to thrive TOO much. Not sure of the price.

carp
Feb. 20, 2010, 06:38 PM
Depends which species in particular you are looking to cultivate and how cold your water is. Bass are pretty much carnivores. Catfish are omnivores but prefer meat. Bluegills, carp, and koi are also omnivores, but they enjoy their veggies. Being cold blooded, they all require less food during winter than at other times of year.

Many koi keepers recommend that koi not be fed at all during the winter. Koi digestion in cold water slows down to the point where the food just sits in the gut. Instead, you are supposed to fatten them up in the fall with quickly digested food like wheat germ and even, yes, Cheerios. The fish survives the winter on its fat stores.

goodhors
Feb. 20, 2010, 07:51 PM
I don't feed my pond goldfish at all after the water temps drop below 50F. You will get the fish to strike at the food, but with such cold water they do not digest the food in their body. The food can then rot, and will eat a hole thru their sides to kill them.

So no feeding of fish when weather starts getting colder. Nothing all winter, spring, until water is warmer than 50F.

I would THINK on a several acre pond, the fish would manage to find food themselves. This is presuming pond is somewhat natural habitat, not treated for clear water and no weeds.

You don't say where you are located, what kind of weather you have right now. But any kind of cold outside, would let me think that fish don't need feeding at this point in time. Fishing shows that feature ice fishing, say the winter fish are not hungry to strike the bair or lures. You just annoy them into striking with jigging or movement.

paintjumper
Mar. 1, 2010, 06:07 PM
We are in S. Ga, but have had a really cold winter this year, SNOW EVEN, so I will wait till next month maybe and check the temp. We don't "fish" them out and a few folks that have come over this winter have told me they are thin and I should feed them and also start fishin!. So I headed to the feed store and could not believe the price......I thought the horse feed was going to put me in the poor house!

JFJ
Mar. 2, 2010, 11:53 AM
Just because someone said it somewhere once upon a time doesn't make it true.

Dumor puts out a pond fish food that is carried at tractor supply. 50lb bags. I wouldn't feed more than 10 lbs a day even in a couple acre pond. You don't want the fish to thrive TOO much. Not sure of the price.

I was just sharing info that I heard and if you do a google search you'll see alot about feeding Cheerios. I know my Mom has Koi among others and they seem to be among the fish that do well on Cheerios.

RacetrackReject
Mar. 2, 2010, 12:49 PM
I just buy fish food at the feed store for my stocked pond. I have sun perch and catfish mostly in my pond and they seem to be doing well since I had to call the game wardens to get my neighbors to stop poaching my fish for their dinner =). I think the feed may be like $12 for a 50lb bag, so it's not very expensive. Try TSC like someone else mentioned or wherever you buy horse/cow/goat/chicken feed.