PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard & I love my hay guy

horsetales
Feb. 11, 2010, 10:51 AM
Today DH went out to try and start digging the farm out from round 2 of 2010 snowmaggeden with our compact Kubota. DH is about 15 minutes into when our Hay supplier (neighboring farm) comes over with his HUGE tractor and starts to plow out the 400-500' driveway as DH works clearing around the garages :):):) My DH said our hay guy said he was just being neighborly as he thought that would save us some time. I love my hay guy :yes:

SmartAlex
Feb. 11, 2010, 11:14 AM
Yay Hay guy!

My husband is the Kubota man in our neighborhood. He starts plowing and just can't stop. I think it's because he's a neat freak and wants it all done to perfection. Anyway I get a little huffy because should I have trouble on my way home, and get stuck somewhere getting through the unplowed residential roads, it will be ages before I will be able to get a hold of him to come rescue me because he will be out plowing everbody ELSE out!

2DogsFarm
Feb. 11, 2010, 12:08 PM
SmartAlex: :lol:
Boys & their Toys...

I have a Mystery Plow - did my drive and a path down to the barn 3 times before I "caught" him at it and was able to thank him.
Turned out to be a neighbor from about 1/4 mile down the road who knew I lived alone.
Who knows how many others benefit from his tractor playtime :winkgrin:

jazzrider
Feb. 11, 2010, 04:18 PM
We live on a private lane with three other houses and so along with our very long house driveway and barn driveway, we have to pitch in and plow the lane (only two of us with working tractors right now). We had a neighbor from up the road that our lane meets come over and start at the other end during blizzard #1, because he just wanted to plow more! :lol: But it was a nice, very neighborly thing to do. :yes:

Puddin Pie
Feb. 11, 2010, 04:49 PM
I spoke with my FIL last night. They live about 5 miles down a dirt road in the Shenondah Valley of VA-think Snow country. I am not sure who has the Kabota tractor in the neighborhood, but he helped with the tractor runs all weekend-clearing the road, helping FEMA save a trapped resident who was about a mile back off said 5 mile road, woman stranded with 3 young kids. They Kabota had to save FEMA's Humvee, complete with the machine gun rack on top! It sounds like they certain were doing their good deeds all over the place last weekend.

God Bless everyone who is dealing with the snow right now.

InstigatorKate
Feb. 11, 2010, 05:01 PM
We were bob-catted out twice in the same week by an anonymous neighbor who claimed he LOVES clearing snow! I'm just grateful!!

Trakehner
Feb. 11, 2010, 06:51 PM
I got my snow blower chugging away this week...did my driveway, went over to the neighbors and helped him...then hit the next house and the prior neighbor in tow to help. By the time I'd hit 4 houses I had a collection of guys with shovels. Amazing how little time it takes with a bunch of helpers in tow.

BuddyRoo
Feb. 11, 2010, 07:27 PM
In my neighborhood...it's a contest. Think grumpy old men. Complete with cigars. If I don't get out there at 5am, I'm liable to have my drive done by 6!

This last big snow, I shoveled (by hand) at midnight. Was so bloody thankful to see that "someone" had snow blown during the day while I was at work.

Thank goodness for nice (retired?) neighbors!

SLW
Feb. 12, 2010, 08:40 AM
These stories make me smile, thanks for sharing them. :)