PDA

View Full Version : generator plug help? Or link?

pintopiaffe
Feb. 11, 2010, 11:41 AM
Crap. We lost power due to high winds.

I cranked up the generator, and it wasn't working. Well, the GENERATOR is fine. Extension cord plugged into regular outlet (there are four) = power.

Generator cord that goes to house/pump etc. = 0

So I unscrewed the plug to check... I had changed the plug end on the cord way back to match the new generator (4 prong).

It obviously had come loose, because the plug slipped right off the cord.

I know how to reinstall it--EXCEPT--for which color goes where. :sigh: I changed out the end ages ago, and thew away the package. Not even thinking that as hard as generators vibrate, the end might come loose someday.

So. I've got a white, black, red and non-coloured (ground) wire... and a plug labelled W, Y, X and G. The "G" also has green around the place you put the wire in. I'd like to *think* that is 'ground?"

Which wire goes where?

:sigh:

Thank GOD the house end is all wired to the switch.

Just when you think you've got your bases covered... You don't, really. :p

2bee
Feb. 11, 2010, 12:31 PM
If all else fails check the plug at the other end of the cord, or the socket that it will be plugged into.........might be a good idea anyway just to make sure it's wired "standard".

Good luck.

2bee
Feb. 11, 2010, 04:10 PM
I just wandered back from the shed where I took a look at my genny. If you're talking USA, 220v, and a 4 prong twist lock style plug;

red and black are hot
white is neutral
bare or green is ground

The ground blade on the plug should have an 'extra' piece making look like an "L". This is probably the blade you mentioned being green and marked G

The neutral blade is (probably) straight across from the ground and should be smaller or a different color or both. I would guess your marked W.

The remaining two should be the same size/color and are for the red and black hot wires.

Just an educated guess mind you.....:)

Tom King
Feb. 11, 2010, 04:54 PM
On the plug, lugs(the screw that you have to tighten down on the wire) for hot-black and red will be brass. Lug for neutral-white wire will be silver. Lug for ground-green wire will be green.

Unless it's different than plugs I'm used to.

When installing a new or replacement plug on either end of a cord, I always carefully strip the wire so that none of the conductors are cut, twist them neatly but not too tight to deform the end, and solder just the end of the wire with rosin-core solder (Radio Shack). This gives you a strong, hard end that lets you tighten down on the lugs for a good strong connection that will last.

pintopiaffe
Feb. 12, 2010, 02:28 AM
Thank you, thankyou.

Will look in the morning. Brother the electrician couldn't help me without seeing. :p

I can always go to Home Depot and read the directions out of the package, hopefully the above info will save a trip to town.

Tom--the solder info it GREAT. I will ask Bro to do that when he comes up next. Thank you!

Equibrit
Feb. 13, 2010, 04:47 PM
Check the manufacturer's website for instructions
Or check the end of this article; http://www.green-trust.org/generator/genny_install.htm