PDA

View Full Version : It's not the snow that has me worried, it's the thaw...

KarenC
Feb. 11, 2010, 10:41 AM
Here, as in many areas in the NE, we have been hit with a massive amount of snow (we got it from both storms).

Trudging through 4 feet of snow isn't fun, but I can manage my horsekeeping duties and heck, it's pretty. The dogs love it. The horses all like to roll in it.

So, it isn't the snow that is the problem. It's the inevitable thaw that I'm worried about. Mud, flooding, all of that happens with just a few inches...what will happen with a few FEET of it?

Who else is praying for more days under freezing and a very, very slow warmup?

JSwan
Feb. 11, 2010, 10:45 AM
Me. This area is one giant floodplain. Even with minor flooding every road is closed - no way to escape.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Feb. 11, 2010, 10:48 AM
Oh, yeah. Even here in the humid swamps of SC. Because we're sort of the sink everything runs into - when Upstate SC and NC thaws out, the runoff runs down here eventually.

Some of our rivers are already at flood stage, so there's not much room for more.

Bluey
Feb. 11, 2010, 10:53 AM
We are in a drought, so what melts is going right in.
If we were to melt all at once, all low spots, dams and playa lakes are dry and it will take considerably more than that to fill them up and start flooding anyone, I think, unless they built directly on a low spot.;)

pintopiaffe
Feb. 11, 2010, 11:17 AM
Um, we have that much in snowpack, and will get more.

And it thaws just fine.

Yes, we have mud season; but rarely have flood issues except for ice jams on the major tidal rivers. I don't think you have to worry about that.

Wind and fog do a fabulous job of 'drying' the thaw.

Don't forget too the ratio of snow vs. rain is pretty dramatic. I don't have it on me offhand, but a foot of snow is WAY better than an inch or two of rain in a short period.

Hang in there. You'll be ok.

We are every year. ;)

pintopiaffe
Feb. 11, 2010, 11:17 AM
OMG--SORRY--I just HAD to post--that was my 10,000th post. HOLY CRAP I have no life!!! :lol:

KarenC
Feb. 11, 2010, 11:37 AM
PP - congrats. Glad my thread could be the one that pushed you over.

We have flood issues here - it takes very little to put our entire pasture under water. We have actually applied for a country grant to help address the flooding issues in our pasture. Even small amounts of snow thawed too quickly creates a problem. Hopefully, we'll get the grant and by next year, I'll be more able to enjoy the snow. Honestly, I prefer the snow to just miserable gray and mud all winter.

Sakura
Feb. 11, 2010, 11:39 AM
Don't forget too the ratio of snow vs. rain is pretty dramatic. I don't have it on me offhand, but a foot of snow is WAY better than an inch or two of rain in a short period.

http://www.cbs3springfield.com/weather/classroom/weathercharts/6550997.html

Here's a conversion chart showing that pattern. The 'standard' conversion at about 32 degrees, is a 10:1 ratio...Meaning, if you melted down 10" of snow, you would have 1" of water.

Ajierene
Feb. 11, 2010, 11:40 AM
We have potential for flash flood issues as well, but if the thaw is slow, there will not be to much of a problem.

If you are looking to have a week of weather in the 30's after the storm, then the snow should melt slowly enough that it does not flood. If you are looking to have few days in the 60's.....time to build the ark.

Zu Zu
Feb. 11, 2010, 11:53 AM
Here, as in many areas in the NE, we have been hit with a massive amount of snow (we got it from both storms).

Trudging through 4 feet of snow isn't fun, but I can manage my horsekeeping duties and heck, it's pretty. The dogs love it. The horses all like to roll in it.

So, it isn't the snow that is the problem. It's the inevitable thaw that I'm worried about. Mud, flooding, all of that happens with just a few inches...what will happen with a few FEET of it?

Who else is praying for more days under freezing and a very, very slow warmup?
This exactly ~ very worried about spring thaw and pastures !!!:(

KnKShowmom
Feb. 11, 2010, 12:02 PM
A gradual thaw would be nice except it seems to create some really slick icy patches in the most traveled areas - I've already crashed once this year and have a boarder horse that has problems staying upright when it is sunny and 75!

No great solution except to pray for No.More.Snow

monalisa
Feb. 11, 2010, 12:06 PM
It is not supposed to warm up where I live in VA for at least 2 more weeks. No need to worry down here and I hear another storm is on its way early next week!

VarsityHero4
Feb. 11, 2010, 12:19 PM
Yes! The thaw from the last storm gave me a HUGE amount of mud with the wonderful slate that we have 4 ft under the ground level. I'm not looking forward to this...

wendy
Feb. 11, 2010, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pintopiaffe

http://www.cbs3springfield.com/weath...s/6550997.html

Quote:
Here's a conversion chart showing that pattern. The 'standard' conversion at about 32 degrees, is a 10:1 ratio...Meaning, if you melted down 10" of snow, you would have 1" of water.

you slow-thawing-out-far-northerners forget about the most likely scenario for the southern areas- similar to what happened here in December. We got a foot of snow, then two days later it hit 60 degrees and poured rain for two days. The ground was frozen, so all of the rain + snow melt dumped suddenly on it just ran off. Major floods.