PDA

View Full Version : Post Your Signs of Spring Here

dressagetraks
Feb. 10, 2010, 11:00 PM
Today while driving back from a meeting at the nursing home, I passed a clump of forsythia bushes that were DEFINITELY BUDDING!!!! :yes::D:cool::D All of them in the cluster. Golden haze around each branch of each forsythia.

At least I'm not in the current big blizzard, but I had to thaw the frost-free hydrant this morning because it was sleeted shut, freezing the hydrant itself, though not the water in it. And every time I walk the Bernese Mountain Dog last thing at night, I'm shivering and saying, "Hurry up, hurry up," while she's standing like a statue looking around and saying, "Isn't this invigorating? What excellent weather!" I give the horses pep talks on shedding, but they haven't yet listened.

But I saw several budding forsythias today. :)

Come on, there are signs out there somewhere. There will be a spring beyond the snow. What have you seen that gives hope of an end to this winter?

Sillymoose
Feb. 10, 2010, 11:12 PM
Well the grass here is getting greener everyday. Finally! And the yaks are shedding like crazy. Hair is everywhere! And I'm currying like crazy in the impossible hope that I'll have sleek summer coats by the show next weekend. lol

Creaghgal
Feb. 10, 2010, 11:38 PM
Really hard to do as we seem to be burried under thousands of inches of white fluffly stuff, but I've had this orchid in bloom since Nov (http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd96/Creaghgal/replaceimage.jpg) & another in bud ready to burst forth.

Then the Hellerbores in the 3 season (http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd96/Creaghgal/replaceimage.jpg) sunroom...

Does that count?? Probably not horse related enough... But it's snowing....

pintopiaffe
Feb. 11, 2010, 01:03 AM
You're kidding, right?

I've got at least 2 more solid months of winter, at least 2 more blizzards to come, and then about 6 weeks of cold, dark, rainy mud season.

Round about June I'll put away the snowblower.

:lol:

jetsmom
Feb. 11, 2010, 01:17 AM
My grass is starting to get greener, and the trees have buds on them. We'll start to see trees flowering/blommoming in about 2 weeks.

JoZ
Feb. 11, 2010, 01:19 AM
Geese by the millions are heading north, stopping in our fields for refueling.

It's light much later in the evening... here in the PNW the day-to-day differences are more pronounced.

Fur is flying off all the horses... they are itchy, mottley-looking things but here and there I get a glimpse of new coat emerging.

ANNNNNND, most of all, our barn which contains, let me count... 22 mares*, is one giant hormonal SQUEALFEST. Yippee.

*what can I say -- we are mare people. The girl:boy ratio is 22:7 which I bet is pretty unusual!

dmalbone
Feb. 11, 2010, 01:51 AM
what!?! SPRING?! wth is that? I hate you.

Ponies haven't been out for 4 days because of ice. I hate winter and I probably won't see green for quite a while. It goes solid white to brown, mucky, crap.

ChocoMare
Feb. 11, 2010, 07:13 AM
ROBINS!!!! We usually see one or two robins at the end of February but this year..... they are everywhere and in great numbers.

Maybe it's all the rain we've had....it's bringing those juicy worms to the surface! :lol:

Whatever the reason, I don't care. Robins to me means spring is a'comin!

Poniesofmydreams
Feb. 11, 2010, 08:10 AM
Our pony started shedding today. I was scratching her today and my gloves were covered. Yeah!!!

CB/TB
Feb. 11, 2010, 08:24 AM
I've been spitting out horse hair for weeks now! But, I'm looking out onto 4" of the "Blizzard that wasn't " here in Northern RI. Still, the sumac branches are getting red and the spring Flower Show is next weekend. And,I did see a robin a few weeks ago, and I'm sure he's wondering what happened! Red winged blackbirds are a sure sign that spring will arrive- nothing yet!

asterix
Feb. 11, 2010, 08:39 AM
um, can you people stop? I have been to see my ponies once in the last 6 days due to...let me stop and think...OH, YES, the TWO blizzards we have had.

I don't know if they are shedding.

I can't see ANY plants that don't have snow or ice all over them, and the vast majority of plants that are not actually trees are completely buried.

I have just given up on the first show of the spring because there is no way we'll be fit enough in time with 4 feet of snow on the ground.

No.
I see no signs of spring.

Signed,
stuck in the house with the dog for company, day #6

camohn
Feb. 11, 2010, 08:41 AM
No one is shedding and I am looking at a total of 40" of snow since Saturday.........so all I see is WHITE!! In theory I am supposed to be at my day job today.........but though Mr. Tractor has plowed the driveway (driveway piles are around 10 feet tall now) the road is not plowed....so that is not happening. The kid is whiny as we are stuck in the house with no TV reception. The satellite dish is buried up on the roof and getting no reception.

SLW
Feb. 11, 2010, 08:42 AM
An overnight dusting of snow flurries to brighten the 6" of snow on the ground has concealed my daffodils that are trying to push through. I saw them right before this last round of snow.

I can't believe y'all have horses who are shedding already. Not one of my 5 has released a winter hair.

monalisa
Feb. 11, 2010, 08:59 AM
You are kidding aren't you? Spring? I can't see anything green where I live - buried under 2 feet of snow..... And there is another storm on the way. I doubt I will be able to see any grass at all before mid-March!

Heart's Journey
Feb. 11, 2010, 09:16 AM
we actually had a cold night last night, 47 degrees for South Fla, but it will warm up to 65. Going camping this weekend....

sorry just had to post - you guys can gloat all summer when we're roasting in the mid 90's and 100% humidity....:)

lcw579
Feb. 11, 2010, 09:33 AM
You people are just mean. This has just been officially named the snowiest winter on record so no signs of spring - just white as far as we can see.

I hate all of you. More snow on Monday... :mad:

JSwan
Feb. 11, 2010, 10:42 AM
Well, I cleaned out my blue bird boxes.

I've seen some bluebirds but not since we got all this snow.

I lost my wood duck boxes and have not made any more so hopefully the wood ducks will find a place to nest. I did see a new pileated woodpecker hole so that is a good thing - unless that tree blew down. I hope not!

I usually frost seed clover this time of year but it's probably not going to happen.

My horses are shedding. Does that count?

Sigh.

seabreeze
Feb. 11, 2010, 12:14 PM
Despite the three snowstorms in the past two weeks, I have seen a few signs of spring. :yes:

Before the first snow, I noticed the tiniest little bits of green grass poking through the brown stuff. At first I thought I was imagining it, but a couple of days later I noticed the horses were leaving their hay and wondering out into the pasture to graze...confirmation that I wasn't imagining it. :winkgrin: Now, however, any little sprigs of green are under 8" of snow. :(

One of my horses is shedding like crazy--the gets-in-your-eyes-and-mouth kind of shedding. The other two aren't shedding nearly as much, but they are starting to shed some (the old man doesn't shed until the last minute anyway, so his opinion doesn't count :lol:).

And, yes, the seasonal "Gelding Gigolo" antics have begun. :eek: This morning, Big Gelding was rubbing his head all over Little Gelding's rump and standing up on him in an attempt to mount him. Sigh. He didn't get the memo that he is still castrated, just as he has been for many years. :no: However, instead of crawling under a rock and pretending he isn't mine, I proudly declare this a SURE sign of spring! :cool:

johnnysauntie
Feb. 11, 2010, 12:18 PM
The days are getting longer .... and the ponies are shedding. Little things to be sure, but at this point, I will take what I can get.

trubandloki
Feb. 11, 2010, 12:29 PM
Horse shedding like crazy and the paid vet bill for the first half of my spring shots, do they count?

Ignore the fact that we still have highs in the low 20s and snow and ice every where.

Alagirl
Feb. 11, 2010, 12:36 PM
Plant sales!

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243985

2DogsFarm
Feb. 11, 2010, 12:39 PM
I saw a robin last week.
But I think he was lost. :no:

No other sign here that we are in for anything except the 5 more weeks that !$%#* groundhog predicted :mad:

Mrsmph
Feb. 11, 2010, 12:47 PM
'nother South Floridian here....It got down to 45 last night, way too cold for a wussie like me. Clipped horsie had on his blanket. I'll take the summer heat ANY day!:D

Diamondindykin
Feb. 11, 2010, 12:49 PM
Winter had forgotten us here in the PNW :( I actually like snow once in a while in the winter.

The birds are singing in the mornings and my horses are shedding like crazy. I actually saw a lady on Sunday planting flowers in her flower beds. What is wrong with this picture?!?!?! It is frickin February :(

dmalbone
Feb. 11, 2010, 12:53 PM
sorry just had to post - you guys can gloat all summer when we're roasting in the mid 90's and 100% humidity....:)

Nope, doesn't count. We get mid 90's and 100% humidity days here too, just with sucky winters. Have I mentioned I hate indiana?

nightsong
Feb. 11, 2010, 12:55 PM
Only three inches of snow in the last snow "event"!

sk_pacer
Feb. 11, 2010, 01:03 PM
SPRING???????? jeez, you guys are a cruel lot. My horses haven't been out for weeks because I have no fence......Well, the fence is there somewhere under drifts and is probably all tore to ratshit and needing fixed. I get in and out of the yard and around it through 'tunnels' which need to be cleared regularly - like every day. I am just hoping that today's digging out will hold to tomorrow so I can go for groceries.

Alagirl
Feb. 11, 2010, 01:36 PM
They are threatening us with snow for tomorrow, And I think heavier in the south than the north, too...the world has gone mad.

I hear they are relocating the Winter Olympics to northern Florida...

theoldgreymare
Feb. 11, 2010, 01:41 PM
ROBINS!!!! We usually see one or two robins at the end of February but this year..... they are everywhere and in great numbers.

Here in VA too. Hundreds of them were here on the farm two-three weeks ago. I was so excited to see them! Three days later we had 10 inches of snow. :mad:

wendy
Feb. 11, 2010, 01:56 PM
I passed a clump of forsythia bushes that were DEFINITELY BUDDING!!!!

I can't even see the bushes. They MIGHT be budding down there somewhere under the snow. More snow predicted for monday....

ReSomething
Feb. 11, 2010, 02:15 PM
Well, we aren't buried in the white stuff but there are no plants visible outside. Except for straggly tall grass poking through.

INSIDE we have a portable greenhouse thingie and the onion seedlings are two inches tall. Since we can't see the ground outside I am wondering what exactly we will do with them. I am sure I'll find out.

harveyhorses
Feb. 11, 2010, 04:08 PM
What is the theme from the poisidon adventure?
There's got to be a morning after!
No shedding, no Robins, not really sure what the ground looks like.
The sun is out today, and there is melting. My forsythia are not doing anything remotely like blooming. :no:
It's like a fairy tail......
Tell us about spring one more time!

TrotTrotPumpkn
Feb. 11, 2010, 04:19 PM
Way too much snow = below average temps = no spring yet. The snow doesn't bug me like the wind and the ice does...

I guess the horse has started shedding as of last Sunday, and I've seen some geese, but this winter sucks big time. We are just entering our 2 heaviest snowfall months too.

I want to move.

Seriously.

secretariat
Feb. 11, 2010, 04:21 PM
And the #1 harbinger of spring ......

Drum roll, please .........................

More than 2 dead skunks on the road while driving to work in the morning.

TA DA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ddashaq
Feb. 11, 2010, 06:15 PM
I work at the Kentucky Horse Park and the front yards of both the USEF and USDF were covered in robins about 10 days ago. I have seen only smaller flocks since, but boy do I hope that spring is on it's way!

foggybok
Feb. 11, 2010, 06:40 PM
crocuses blooming in my front yard :)

that and the mosquitos biting the other day...:(

KnKShowmom
Feb. 12, 2010, 01:39 PM
Ok, I'm going to be optimistic about this whole spring is coming thing -

The days are getting longer

The horses are shedding - no more putting on chapstick before going to the barn :eek:

Before the last snow I think I saw life from some of my bulb plants

And yes, I too imagined that the grass was beginning to come to life before it got buried under Idontknowhowmany inches

And finally, a sure sign that spring is coming........

the tax check is in the mail! :D

Ozone
Feb. 12, 2010, 01:41 PM
I see brown grass :)

TrotTrotPumpkn
Feb. 12, 2010, 02:04 PM
And finally, a sure sign that spring is coming........

the tax check is in the mail! :D

I can't even imagine what that would feel like. I'm always worried about how much more I still owe. Even when we were both W-2 (a CPA suggested we have kids to reduce our bill). I'm still scratching my head on that one...

skyy
Feb. 12, 2010, 05:41 PM
Yup, the days are getting longer so you have that much more daylight to use while digging out after another 22" of snow on top of the 12" on Saturday.

Bluey
Feb. 12, 2010, 06:00 PM
Well, our biggest snowdrift is now not 6+', but down to a measly 4', so we are making progress.
All is still white, 1 to 2' deep, except where the wind blew and today, the sun finally shining after many days, some old, dead, yellow grass is showing, no green yet.

The horses seem to think that, if they look hard enough, they may find some fresh green in there, but I think it is wishful thinking.:p

With all this moisture, we will have a glorious spring, I bet, although they are calling for one with many severe storms.:eek:

Vesper Sparrow
Feb. 12, 2010, 08:24 PM
I saw a fly outside three days ago. I got very excited--this is Canada, after all...

And my horses are shedding earlier than usual this year.

dressagetraks
Feb. 13, 2010, 07:03 AM
I found TULIPS yesterday!!!!

Okay, I had to really look for them. But little red tulip tips are just coming up. Multiple places in the yard.

Genuine tulips:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk8/dressagetraks/Tulips021210003.jpg

However, sigh, a picture of the Bernese Mountain Dog on the same day:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk8/dressagetraks/Hannah021210.jpg

Still, the tulips are there! The forsythia on my drive route are DEFINITELY budding. I saw weeping willow trees leafing. I saw stationary geese, but at least they weren't flying south.

SPRING IS COMING!!!!! :yes: