PDA

View Full Version : Help....neeed solution for muddy stalls

Blue Star
Feb. 10, 2010, 02:09 PM
I hate mud! I have 12x12 barn stalls with thick rubber mats over DG....so far so good....but each stall is attached to a private 12x24 paddock, which are now 6-8 inches deep in mud.....(did I mention that I hate mud?) Assuming that I need to survive this winter under current coonditions, what can I do to prevent this next season? What is the best material for this sacrifice area? There is not alot I can do in changing the grade...so I have to rely on the material and depth etc. I choose. My husband and a local trainer thought sand was a great idea (they eat indoors on the mats...the horses, not my husband.)...and it made a nice soft surface in good weather....but add water and mix it up with the underlayer and now it is nice thick mud. (Which I hate!) Sand in the arena which we can drag and seal works great...but in the stall outdoor area it has NOT worked. Is there some material I can use to build up the center of the paddock, water runs off, or water runs thru like pea gravel or???

Timex
Feb. 11, 2010, 11:36 AM
have you considered running a drain tile?

JanWeber
Feb. 11, 2010, 11:52 AM
Basically, you need to do what we did: scrape off the topsoil down to the "hard" layer. Dig trenches to put in drain pipe to direct the water elsewhere. Put down a layer of geotextile (landscape fabric), gravel, and then top it off with stone dust or screenings. It was quite a bit of work to do, but works beautifully. Our stalls open up to a stonedust pen that is at the bottom of a slope - before the stonedust, it was sucking thick mud whenever it rained...

AdAblurr02
Feb. 12, 2010, 12:23 AM
We have two seasons up here - really muddy and not very muddy. THIS (http://www.arena-rehab.com/grassypavers.htm) stuff is the best solution I have ever seen. Yes, you still have to remove the sucking deep slop to put it in, but hey - that has to go anyhow.

f4leggin
Feb. 12, 2010, 08:51 AM
I had this problem on one side of my barn this summer - I pulled the mats, added a bunch of dirt to the stalls to make them high than outside, put the mats back down, put in a 2x6 kick board in base of the barn door that led into the paddock, dumped and packed more dirt along the outside of the barn walls where it doesn't interfere with the doors openning and closing. This has helped. I also attempted to grade the paddocks, you said this isn't an option for you - to be honest, it's not easy to do with fences in place, even with a skidsteer. But, then I'm not an expert at using it.

The stalls I redid this summer are holding up well this winter. I have one stall on the other side that is a chronic problem. I noticed yesterday it's soaked under the mats and they are starting to sink. In my case, it's also an issue of the rain gutters failing when the snow melts off the roof, and the drain off it gets frozen.

I think my problems have to do with the barn pad not being graded as well as it could have been, or the fact my barn sits in an area that gets run off from higher up. I have a feeling that for me it will always be a work in progress. But, the fact that I have not used anything except dirt for footing means more grading, adding dirt is never a problem.

Good Luck...

Jill

Blue Star
Feb. 12, 2010, 06:09 PM
Actually I really like the idea of "raising the stall" instead of "lowering the water".....the horses can step up into the stall. I can put the kick plate 360 degrees, fill with gravel, then sand then lay the rubber mats back down on top..no water will run in and whatever does will drain out/down into the gravel base etc...all the doors open out so raising the floor will not interfere at all...1/2 the problem solved....given that the paddock area is enclosed with board fencing and I cannot get the tractor in, may I should do the same thing there....(after dry weather arrives) enclose the whole thing with a raised kick plate, smooth, add landscaping material, gravel then DG or its equivalent with the same goals....water runs off or thru but does not accumulate...create the entire new footing OVER the existing instead of removing all the mud by hand!:eek: I can use the tractor to ADD material over the fence easier than I can REMOVE material thru the gate by hand!

fivehorses
Feb. 12, 2010, 07:31 PM
Jan Weber is absolutely correct.
I would get in touch with NRCS to see if there was funding available to help you.
I have also raised up my stalls with stonedust about 6" and then put down mats after a flood in the barn. Don't ever want to walk into horses standing in water again!

But you do need to do something about the turnout too, and that is where Jan's suggestion is the one that is highly recommended from the pros to prevent water run off, and the dangers of livestock living or walking in muck.

shea'smom
Feb. 12, 2010, 07:35 PM
My solution to muddy stall? A cruise to the Bahamas.
Who's with me?