PDA

View Full Version : triple Crown Premium Chopped Alfalfa Forage

Stacie
Feb. 10, 2010, 02:08 PM
Anyone used this product? I'm a little disturbed that it has molasses in it. Can anyone tell me how much molasses is in it? I'll be feeding 1-2 lbs per horse to mix supplements

tpup
Feb. 10, 2010, 02:16 PM
I tried it last year - I'm not sure how much molasses are in it, but my horse wouldn't touch it! :( I gave the bag to another boarder. It's weird because he LOVES alfalfa hay (and molasses) but wouldn't touch this forage.

Stacie
Feb. 10, 2010, 02:19 PM
I wonder what he knew.
Not a ringing endorsement.

FatDinah
Feb. 10, 2010, 03:19 PM
I use the TC grass forage and my old girl loves it (so does her freeloading chubby son).

Maybe start with a small amount, see how it goes?

AJHorsey
Feb. 10, 2010, 04:48 PM
The molasses is just to keep the dust down, but its not sopping in it.

Cherry
Feb. 10, 2010, 07:03 PM
Stacie, if the word "molasses" wasn't listed on the bag you wouldn't even know there was any in it!

Sometimes horses just aren't interested in a certain product--that doesn't make it bad.... :rolleyes: Maybe there was something wrong with that batch--who knows???

On the same note--I used to buy Dengie Hi-Fi for my old pony and he refused to eat it. That stuff was swimming in molasses! That was years ago but I wouldn't use it again if you paid me.... ;)

Much prefer the Triple Crown products! :yes:

tpup
Feb. 10, 2010, 07:35 PM
I wonder what he knew.
Not a ringing endorsement.

I think he was just picky. The other boarder's horse loved it. BTW the molasses is supposedly just "sprayed" on in a very thin layer. You could call TC to get more specifics on how much molasses or NSC of it. Their customer service is always super helpful.

abbydp
Feb. 10, 2010, 08:27 PM
We refer to it as horsey crack. All of the ones I have ever fed it to LOVE it. My boy has even been known to eat it before grain. I second the fact that the level of molassas is low. It isn't sticky just clumps a little more than it would otherwise.

TheOrangeOne
Feb. 10, 2010, 08:40 PM
The TC forage has significantly less molasses than the other similar products I have tried.

AKB
Feb. 10, 2010, 11:02 PM
We've used the Dengie with molasses for our picky eater who has bad allergies. When we couldn't get him to stop wheezing, Dengie was the answer. The 35 year old pony down the street, who we owned 19 years ago, eats Dengie.

Sometimes, you just have to feed the molasses and not worry about it. We didn't have a lot of alternatives. Our boy with the allergies was going to die if we couldn't find something he could eat. Now, 11 years later, he can eat regular hay again and is off Dengie. The pony was going to starve if we couldn't find something she could digest. The molasses might kill her some day, but at least she's gotten many good years from it. She loves the alfalfa Dengie.

Barnfairy
Feb. 10, 2010, 11:04 PM
All my horses love it, even when they were ulcery fresh off the track.

It's very hard to find baled alfalfa hay in my region. Alfalfa pellets don't provide long-stem fiber, and cubes pose a choke hazard. Dengie is seriously sticky with molasses, so I opt for Triple Crown.

It's a god send in my barn if for no other reason than this: if I stick a tub of it in front of my super-sensitive mare, and she will allow me to pull her mane while chowing down. :D

Stacie
Feb. 10, 2010, 11:13 PM
It's a god send in my barn if for no other reason than this: if I stick a tub of it in front of my super-sensitive mare, and she will allow me to pull her mane while chowing down. :D
:lol::lol::lol:

tcnhorsefeed
Feb. 17, 2010, 03:25 PM
Stacie,

Not sure if you have seen this product in person or just been reading about it...

When you open the bag it will basically looked like finely chopped Alfalfa hay, 1 -2 inch long pieces compressed into a "bale shape" in a 50 lb plastic bag. The bag is just like the bags you get wood shavings in. As already mentioned this hay is only lightly sprayed with molasses, it is not gooey or white looking. It is very airy in nature. Our hay is nothing like a chaffe hay which is fermented and around 50% water.
There is no NSC value given on the grass and alfalfa hays, we only guarantee 10% or below NSC for our Safe Starch forage which is designed for horses/ponies with metabolic issues. Our grass and alfalfa hays can have varied starch/sugar levels with an average around 13-14%, hay can be anywhere from 6-20% NSC and for horses with metabolic issues you want to find a hay that is 10% or below.

As mentioned some horses just don't like products or take some time to get used to them. I would bring in a small amount slowly..if the horse tries it and eats it you can slowly increase amount to your needs.

Stacie
Feb. 17, 2010, 09:37 PM
I ended up buying the Alfa Green Supreme alfalfa forage which is also sprayed with molasses. I have to say I was very impressed with the product.

jump4me
Feb. 18, 2010, 12:52 AM
I use it for my guy with ulcers, its too complicated to get a small amount of alfalfa bales, and this just shows up with the feed order! If it didn't say it had molasses in it, you wouldn't even know it... and both of my horses love it, even though the 2nd one doesn't need any, he always has to have a handful or he climbs the walls... abbydp, I'll second the "horsey crack" he will lick his bucket out for 20 min after he finishes 1 handfull of the stuff...

Warmbloodmom
Feb. 18, 2010, 06:07 AM
Have been wanting to try this stuff to mix in with his small amount of grain/supplements. Can someone tell me how long you can have a bag of it sitting open before it molds? And can you mix it with grain and sups in a container for a week ahead and still have it be palatable?

naters
Feb. 18, 2010, 12:34 PM
We used the TC chopped forage for years on our old boy (30).

He loved it, and it was much easier for him to chew and digest.

JLR1
Feb. 18, 2010, 08:02 PM
My horses hated it. Whatever they used as a preservative gives it a very funky smell...almost like tobacco.