PDA

View Full Version : Snow - new uses

Chall
Feb. 10, 2010, 10:46 AM
Ha! I found a new excellent use of snow. Shamefully, I let the litter box get dirty and its clumping litter so cleaning with water makes it messier. Dumped litter in a plastic garbage bag, but there were sticky spots. Light bulb went off. I took it outside and filled it with snow. Presto cleano! Fill, shake around, turn upside and tap, tap, repeat. Shiny! For the extra hard to remove stuff I made a well packed snowball and attacked the spots using it like a brillo pad. Wow it cleaned it up.

Wool rug cleaner - for all wool and antique rugs. Drag rug out, lay out flat (upside down). Beat with broom (straw side, not handle). Dust/dirt gets caught in snow. This is the traditional (Swedish) way to clean rugs that can not be touched with water. Only downside is the dark mark it leaves in the snow and the effort of pulling large rugs out of the house and back in.

Anyone else on the 100 and one uses of snow?

wateryglen
Feb. 10, 2010, 05:07 PM
Well lately I've melted a LOT of it just to flush my toilets! :eek::D
No power=no flushie!
Snow drifts are SUPER for hiding hoses! So good; you can't even find them!
Snow balls to wipe off car/trucks. Kinda carwash wipes! :yes:
I've used my snow to break my back AND my snowshovel! It works great!!! :sigh:
I spent 3 hours melting snow to get the horses a drink (no power=no well pump=no water). Carried the 2 buckets down to the barn in butt deep snow, spilling much of it all over my legs....only:sigh: to have my darlings turn up their noses and not drink any.....and kicked one bucket over.....:mad:
I wash dishes; well, wipe dishes in snow when lacking power/water.
Can use snow as a form fitting ice pack for your shoveling aches & pains too.....yeppers! Fun with Snow!! :lol::lol:

chemteach
Feb. 10, 2010, 05:09 PM
Snow is a four-letter word.

lily04
Feb. 10, 2010, 05:12 PM
1 large tumbler of snow a few ounces oe apple jack= slushie

chai
Feb. 10, 2010, 06:43 PM
I love that snow covers up the frozen poop in the pasture and makes everything look fresh and new. I like to clean my paddocks and it drives me crazy when the manure piles freeze solid before I can remove them. This week I wished for snow to cover the ice and freshen up the paddocks. Mother nature has delivered a wild north easter!

Mia412
Feb. 11, 2010, 12:22 PM
We used packed snow and salt in the ice cream freezer & made homemade ice cream!

Plus I think trudging through thigh-deep drifts to clear snow & do the chores counts as an extra workout.

Mozart
Feb. 11, 2010, 12:59 PM
Too funny. As someone who "experiences" snow from mid November to late March....

Horse related:

-Turnout in the snow whitens socks. Pick up snow and scrubs socks for added benefit

-Handwalking in deep snow. Amazing exercise for horse and handwalker. Just remember some horses love to roll in deep snow and be quick to get out of the way.

-Instead of cold hosing, put snow in freezer bags in thin layers and wrap over top of leg. Don't leave on too long or put a very thin cotton wrap against leg before the snow pack

-Mucking out: Tie binder twine to handle of plastic muck bucket. Spray bottom of muck bucket with WD 40. Faster than a German luge.

-A snow covered manure pile can be quite a nice sledding hill. Wash kids' jackets before sending to school though....

-A clean muck bucket + snow + beer = a party.

Have fun while it lasts!

JSwan
Feb. 11, 2010, 01:46 PM
This morning I used snow to clean the chicken waterers.

I bring out hot water but I didn't want to waste it on cleaning - snow worked well because I was able to scrub with it.

Not that the chickens noticed.....

I like the apple jack suggestion.

nightsong
Feb. 11, 2010, 01:57 PM
Handfuls of snow (especially if there's some ICE in there) are GREAT for cleaning off windhields!!!

Mozart
Feb. 11, 2010, 03:25 PM
Another snow use idea for those with young kids:

Get empty spray and squirt bottles, fill with water and food colouring. Spray designs and write names onto the snow. Cheap fun for a snow day.

nightsong
Feb. 11, 2010, 03:27 PM
Scoop up a (mixing_ bowlful, add sugar, vanilla, and a little milk, and mix it up. Snow cream!!!

MistyBlue
Feb. 11, 2010, 04:57 PM
My mom used to make us snow ice cream or snow snowcones. Pouring juice on to flavor, or drizzling honey on it.
Nowadays I'm just thrilled when the snow scrubs clean dingy white stockings on the horses.

Paddys Mom
Feb. 11, 2010, 05:05 PM
LOL - I just came in from handwalking a stall rest horse, and I am convinced the snow worked in my favor. It was so much work wading through the deep snow that he quickly tired of trying to misbehave. Then we stood outside and breathed in the fresh air while I scrubbed his neck with handfuls of snow. He was sighing and enjoying life. :)

Hilary
Feb. 11, 2010, 05:35 PM
Snowbanks are fun to jump with your horse

Nice soft landing for jumping off that 2nd floor deck

Sugar on Snow - candy made from boiled down maple syrup and poured on a pan of snow in squiggles to harden.

No need for a permit to burn your brush pile

Then there's that whole recreation thing: Skiing, snow shoeing, etc....

IFG
Feb. 11, 2010, 11:29 PM
Moving things on sleds that are way too heavy to move otherwise. I had two muck tubs full of stone dust. I could not move these on my own. I waited for it to snow, dragged them onto the sled, and pulled them across the paddock easy peasy. I love snow!

She's Pure Gold
Feb. 12, 2010, 12:00 AM
Put some (clean) snow in a cup and drizzle with hot maple syrup (the real stuff) and enjoy a maple snow cone. You haven't lived till you've tried it :yes:

For horsey-related- my favorite thing is riding bareback in a field of fresh fluffy snow- especially cantering! (and hey, if you fall off, at least it's padded :lol:)