View Full Version : MSM for the farm dog?

Feb. 10, 2010, 09:59 AM
I have two farm dogs that are getting up there in years. (A Beagle, and a BC mix.) They still run around like puppies, but then spend a little extra time recuperating in bed. :)

I give my horses MSM, and noticed the other day that it can be used for dogs. (Albeit in a much smaller dose!) Has anyone had experience with it? The regular doggie joint supplements are kinda pricey for a college student, so this would be a nice alternative. They get separate food dishes, so it wouldn't be a big deal to mix it in for one feeding.

Thanks in advance!

Feb. 10, 2010, 02:01 PM
I used it for my 85lb. Samoyed that was a little arthritic after three ACL surgeries. It made him much more comfortable. I didn't have any problems with stomach upset etc. but I did introduce it gradually and always mixed the powder (granules?) into food.

Feb. 10, 2010, 02:07 PM
I have an old farm dog that has some issues with pain in his hips (Was run over, repaired leg, etc). Any time he's stiff I give him some MSM and he's bouncing like a pup in a few hours. It does make him a little goofy and hyper so I only give it to him when he's really having a rough day.

Feb. 10, 2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks! I started it tonight, mixed in with the wet food.

Feb. 10, 2010, 08:36 PM
My old dogs are on MSM, and it makes a big difference. You can also just give them the human grade capsules sold at supermarkets. MSM is so cheap and is great stuff!

Feb. 10, 2010, 10:40 PM
My rottie is on it whenever he is a little off due to an old injury. Does wonders and doesn't upset his stomach like aspirin does.