PDA

View Full Version : What do you pay to get your driveway plowed?

Bank of Dad
Feb. 10, 2010, 08:24 AM
The neighbor across the street has been keeping my driveway to the barn plowed all this week. With little snows, he just says, pay me what you want. But these are mammoth snows. What is the going price for getting driveways plowed? I want to pay him what others do.

WaningMoon
Feb. 10, 2010, 08:44 AM
Here ppl charge $50 for an avg suburban type driveway. OUt in the rural areas it is often more depending on teh length of the drive.

Spooks
Feb. 10, 2010, 09:20 AM
I think we pay $225 or so for the season. We have a long-ish gravel driveway but I don't think the fee changes by length of driveway. Worth every cent!!!

ETA: In your case since it is your kindly neighbor doing you a favor, I would make sure you are covering his cost for fuel, plus some amount for his effort. You may want to phone around at some snow removal services and ask what they charge for single-instance plowing (as opposed to a season rate).

Mallard
Feb. 10, 2010, 08:11 PM
My hubby does some neighbours driveways...we have a blower on the back of our farm tractor.
Depends on the size of driveway + how long it takes him.
I think he charges $25 - $40.
Sometimes he will not take money either, but the neighbours will give him a case of beer/gift certificates to Tim's or the hardware store.
One neighbour always helps put our hay in.

wateryglen
Feb. 10, 2010, 09:50 PM
$60-100 for longer farm driveways up to barn/house.
In our area, they are literaly driving around asking if anyone wants a plow out and people are willing to pay!
We got hammered.

Bank of Dad
Feb. 10, 2010, 10:28 PM
Its 10:30 pm. He's back again, this time with a John Deere bobcat front end loader thing. What a lifesaver.

trilogy
Feb. 10, 2010, 10:33 PM
I pay 80-90/ hour for a minimum of 2 hours. Dosen't matter if it takes 10 mins or the full 2 hours. I did get quotes from many differnt companys and they were all about the same.

Sing Mia Song
Feb. 11, 2010, 07:43 AM
I pay my neighbor's 16 yo son $100 for a 350' driveway with a tough entry way. It's more than the going rate, but it ensures that I'm first on the list.

Outfxed
Feb. 11, 2010, 07:46 AM
The farmer who plows us out charges us $100.00. Gravel drive, fairly long, circle turn around in front of the house, down to the barn, and clears the gate to the field.

deltawave
Feb. 11, 2010, 08:14 AM
We do our own with the tractor/snowblower, but if we're out of town one of my patients does it. Our driveway is 1/4 mile. I give him $50 each time he comes out, which can be every day for a week when the snow is really blowing and drifting! It usually takes him the better part of an hour. He refuses to tell me what he charges other people, so I've had to guess. He also gets fresh eggs whenever he comes by if we're home. :)

Hilary
Feb. 11, 2010, 09:02 AM
Up here it's $40-$75 depending on how much it snows/how many times they have to come per storm.

If you're usually paying him $50, I'd give him $75 AND a bottle of whatever he prefers to drink because this is unusual for you.

Desert Topaz
Feb. 11, 2010, 11:59 AM
The guy with the plow on the front of his truck is $50 an hour. The guy with the really big tractor is $90 an hour.

avezan
Feb. 11, 2010, 11:59 AM
We just paid someone for the first time. Our drive is about 3/4 mile and steep. My husband spent about 8 hours plowing with our compact tractor and only got about 1/3 of the way. If we wanted to get out, we needed a bigger plow. We called a farmer that we had just bought some hay from who had REALLY big equipment. We paid him $200 to plow the whole thing. This included his time driving his tractor to our farm. He came around midnight on Sunday and we were able to get out on Monday. Now after the second storm, we were able to plow ourselves out, but last night with the wind...we have 2' drifts in the drive again! ugh. I'm hoping we can get ourselves out without having to hire someone again. Thankfully we did not lose power. Next purchase is a generator!

Tom King
Feb. 11, 2010, 03:58 PM
I would figure 50 bucks an hour including one way travel time. If that's not enough, he should have given you a bill.

SmartAlex
Feb. 11, 2010, 04:44 PM
My husband is always satisfied with a proper and heartfelt thanks and a case of beer or favor returned. So, get your best estimate for the actual cost, but the real thanks will be in doing so in a timely manner with gratitude appropriate to the task. :yes:

Bank of Dad
Feb. 11, 2010, 05:21 PM
I told him to tell me what a fair price is. He's been here at least 6 times this week. Unfortunately, he has a significant alcohol addiction problem, actually was in the county lockup for 15 days right before these storms,, for driving underthe influence and then running from the sheriff, so anything alcoholic is out. I think $$ will be a good plan.

chai
Feb. 11, 2010, 05:54 PM
Mr chai and I have been considering buying a snow blower because every storm costs us at least $100. I can't even enjoy the snow thinking that we're in for $100 - $200 in plowing costs. Our driveway isn't even that long, but everything is $$ in this area.

lolalola
Feb. 11, 2010, 09:35 PM
Just had my driveway plowed for the first time since I've here - 10 years. We've always managed before with my SUV and shoveling but truck was in the shop. Fairly long gravel driveway with an island. Neighbor charged $125, took him about an hour, did a good job. More snow is supposed to come on Monday. Truck is out of the shop!

howardh
Feb. 11, 2010, 09:42 PM
ok my neighbor does my driveway. I take care of him in other ways. Samples from my work, horse cookies etc.

Basically he has a killer tractor with a snowblower and it is a huge toy he loves to use. Lucky me. he won't take money but i get him stuff for his horsey daughter. Don't underestimate the geek tractor lover.

Huntertwo
Feb. 11, 2010, 10:41 PM
We have a contractor plow our driveway and we pay $30.00.

Granted it is not a long driveway, so it only takes about 15 minutes or so, but well worth it!

Huntertwo
Feb. 11, 2010, 10:43 PM
Its 10:30 pm. He's back again, this time with a John Deere bobcat front end loader thing. What a lifesaver.

He sounds like a great neighbor!:yes:

camohn
Feb. 12, 2010, 07:18 AM
The neighbor across the street has been keeping my driveway to the barn plowed all this week. With little snows, he just says, pay me what you want. But these are mammoth snows. What is the going price for getting driveways plowed? I want to pay him what others do.

Around here folks seem to be paying 50 to 80 for the mammoth snow removal

Frank B
Feb. 12, 2010, 10:12 AM
German Chocolate cake! The neighbor would come over with his tractor and Carolyn would break out the Mix-Master.

Lately his doctor has him on a diet, so now we give he and his wife a gift card to their favorite restaurant.

HDFarm
Feb. 15, 2010, 12:47 AM
My husband has been charging $60/hr to plow private drives near our house. He's a farrier with a big tractor. It works out well, not shoeing due to the snow. Supplement income w/tractor.:D