PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff (of sorts) Riding Wear on the Farm?

pintopiaffe
Feb. 10, 2010, 01:08 AM
Just posted on Off Course about my loathe of wearing 'real' breeche$ at home...

Not that I don't wear breech-like-pants, I do. Yoga pants, Danskin Excercise wear, closeout old lady polyester pants, etc. I can't stand jeans for anything except western/trails... though the stretchy lycra-jean-leggings things that were popular in the late 90's (!) and can still be found at places like WallyWorld do a lovely job of doubling as breeches. (' used to even wear them for lessons in a lovely slate grey colour!)

I can't stomach putting on real breeche$ when I know I'm going to be mucking, brushing, feeding (with OIL) etc. Snags, stains... :dead:

OTOH, I think I'm too lazy to actually dress twice. It's bad enough I have to change boots to ride. :uhoh: :lol: It's a time and convinience thing to actually have to go in, change into riding pants, come back out... then when done, do the whole thing again, before, say, feeding...

Just wondering what other farmers wear to ride?

kookicat
Feb. 10, 2010, 07:17 AM
Jeans, with stretch. :D I dislike breeches for all the reasons you mentioned. Plus, my boots fit better over jeans.

jeta
Feb. 10, 2010, 09:08 AM
My favorite barnwear for the cold months is stretchy cordouroy....

St. John's Bay, at Penney's and they are always on sale for less than $20...I wear the silky cuddle duds underneath and I am toasty and mobile....

They are comfortable to do barn chores in, and I just throw on full chaps when I am ready to ride....

coloredhorse
Feb. 10, 2010, 09:20 AM
Prolly not much help here, 'cos I' do like my breeches, tights and riding jeans for general farm wear. And because it makes it easy to leap into the saddle as a break from necessary chores ... it really is a pain to have to stop and change. During our hot summers, I like to wear bicycle shorts and paddocks to do chores in and just pull on a pair of riding tights or chaps when it's time to saddle up. In the winter, it's often carharts over breeches. But during the in-between times, I just wear riding appropriate clothing and accept that I'm going to trash it.

I particularly like my Ariat riding jeans. Stretchy, comfy, look decent after a wash even after years of my abuse, and very useful for chores, riding, teaching, massaging.

I do keep one pair of breeches solely for lessons/clinics so they don't get to looking as ratty as my everyday schooling/farmwork outfits.

appychik
Feb. 10, 2010, 10:46 AM
Well... I don't do real "farm" work, but where I board it's sorta like self-care. I do clean out my boys run-in as frequently as possible (except it's a pit right now as it's not been cleaned for nearly a month as I've been on vacation - uggh it'll be a nightmare come Friday, that's for sure).

In the winter, I wear my ski pants (Columbia's - I LOVE them) over the top of my breeches, which are either Irideon's layer on top of UnderArmour or my Kerrits breeches, like the Sit Tight N' Warm. Before I ride, I just take the Columbia's off.

I do have a pair of Carharts, but honest to goodness, those suckers are stiffer then a 2X4. There is no give in them at all and I feel so unwomanly in them. Not that I really care, but I really haven't gotten them broken in well at all. I would wear them though, with the same breeches underneath - just remove prior to riding.

My breeches aren't "real" breeches either. I love the Kerrits tights and the Irideon tights. I only own one "real" pair of breeches... my Ariat Sport Rhythms, from my show days a few years back. I just don't like the feel of breeches anymore. Give me my tights and half chaps any day. I've gotten a much better seat wearing the tights because I've got nothing to keep me in the saddle. So wearing slick "breeches" has improved my Eq too.

Anyways, I know what you mean though. I hate having to change clothes when I'm at the barn. It's time consuming. I can't wait til I can do barn chores and ride without changing... only 3 more months!!! If we're lucky.

pintopiaffe
Feb. 10, 2010, 11:13 AM
I've gotten a much better seat wearing the tights because I've got nothing to keep me in the saddle.

:yes:

That's what I keep TELLING myself anyway!

Two of my most favorite photos are ODG's in jodphurs and paddies doing piaffe... Nuno and Jean-Claude (sniffle)

If THEY can do it, so can I! Dammit! :lol: :uhoh:

cyndi
Feb. 10, 2010, 12:53 PM
Breeches are just too HOT for most of the year here (tho not NOW!) and I LIVE in Danskin leggings. I wear them to ride, do chores around the farm, go to the gym - heck, when it's cold like now, I even sleep in them! Cheap, at $8 a pair, and really do wear really well, considering they're not MADE for riding! I must have 8 pair of them!

mjmvet
Feb. 11, 2010, 12:07 PM
I generally wear cheap schooling tights/half chaps with a pair of ski-overpants over that. They zip at the bottom for ski boots, so I can take them off without taking my paddock shoes/boots off, they keep me a little warmer, and repel hay/shavings well. I don't own a nice pair of breeches...

Sithly
Feb. 11, 2010, 02:01 PM
I just get cheap lots of used breeches on ebay. :D You can find some good deals if you're patient. I got three pairs of like-new breeches in my size for like $20 once.

Hilary
Feb. 11, 2010, 03:50 PM
I love breeches and just do my farm chores in them.

Too comfortable to want to wear something else and while they may not actually be more or less revealing, I can't wear just leggings and not feel naked. Breeches feel like pants, leggings feel like I didn't finish getting dressed.

Sort of like it's OK to wear a bathing suit in public but not your underwear.

just wear dark colors when doing tractor chores so the grease won't show.

Quin
Feb. 11, 2010, 06:40 PM
So long as it's not hot summer, I like cheap Kerrits or similar schooling tights, and a pair of way-too-big blue jeans over them. Way-too-big in the waist so that in really bad weather (or when going to be standing around at a horse show all day) I can add multiple layers underneath. Way-too-big in the legs so that I can just pull them off without taking off my boots. Add a pair of half-chaps and I'm ready to mount up.

In hot summer DD goes to the other extreme: longish shorts to do chores, and full chaps that she just puts on over the shorts if she wants to ride.