PDA

View Full Version : Kingston TB Deluxe Trailer

dps
Feb. 9, 2010, 06:28 PM
I currently have an 86 Kingston Warmblood trailer that I love. I have had this trailer for 9 years and never have a problem with it. I can haul two 18 h horses in it with no problem. The problem is, its steel and starting to rust. I really want to upgrade to an alum trailer so I don't have to worry about it rusting thru. Mine is getting to the point where its going to need some body work.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 97 Kingston TB Deluxe in nice condition. They want $7500 for it.

Does anyone own a Kingston similar to this model, how do you like it, how does your horses like it. Is it worth $7500?

Any input would be great.

chai
Feb. 9, 2010, 08:48 PM
I don't have the model you are asking about but I have a Kingston. It's a Brunswick gn and I love it. Kingston has a reputation for quality and longevity. I compared a lot of trailers before mr. chai and I made the purchase and I was very impressed with the solid construction and attention to detail in the Kingston. They also seem to hold their value well. You might check out the listings at Orchard Trailer Sales in Agawam, MA, where I bought mine to compare prices.

IFG
Feb. 10, 2010, 05:10 AM
Kingstons are great trailers. I love my 1990 Brentwood, but in this economy, IMHO $7500 is to much. A friend recently sold a 1994 bumper pull extra long for $3500, and she had lots of work done on it before selling it.

Heart's Journey
Feb. 10, 2010, 08:14 AM
I agree price is too high as I am assuming it's actually an aluminum skin 2H trailer (which could have rusting issues just waiting to show up, though that would be even be too much for a '97 all aluminum. There also might be issues such as it needing new brakes, axles, etc unless you have someone that can really check the trailer out, it's better to be cautious.

check www.horsetrailerworld.com you can plug in the # of horses, BP or GN, state, etc

dps
Feb. 10, 2010, 09:31 AM
Its an alum trailer with 4ft dressing room in excellent condition very well cared for I checked other places and that seems to be the going price at a dealership I'm sure I could find it cheaper with a private sale?

mkevent
Feb. 10, 2010, 09:41 AM
I have a 2001 TB Deluxe-I love it!!! This is my second Kingston-my first was also steel that was beginning to have some rust issues. My current trailer is aluminum skin over a steel frame-not sure if the '97 version is the same, but I haven't had any issues so far.

I paid $10,000 for it brand new in 2001.

I think $7500 is a bit high, especially if any maintenance is needed.

mkevent
Feb. 10, 2010, 09:44 AM
Wanted to add- you may want to check the interior height- I think the warmblood model is taller than the TB Deluxe. I haul my 16.3 TB cross in it fine but I'm not sure how 18 hand horses would fit in it.

Heart's Journey
Feb. 10, 2010, 10:08 AM
I just checked their website and it says steel frame with aluminum skin - alot of people call their aluminum skin trailers, aluminum, but there is a big difference in price. And many alum skin (especially older trailers) will rust from the inside out.

I don't think Kingston has ever made all aluminum horse trailers

I just did a quick check on horsetrailerworld.com for 2H BP in PA

2H BP DR 4Star '97 all Aluminum (very well built trailers) $7,900 werm floor

2H BP DR Kiefer '2007 alumunum skin 7'6" tall rumber floor (the BEST floor) $8,495

lolalola
Feb. 10, 2010, 07:44 PM
I've got an 84 Kingston still in reasonable shape. You could make them a lower offer and see if they'd take it - they're great trailers.

mkevent
Feb. 11, 2010, 09:09 AM
I also wanted to mention that you can call Kingston directly and ask questions. They are incredibly helpful and very knowledgable.

I am wondering if the TB deluxe would be big enough for 18 hand horses, though. If you lived closer, I'd offer to come by to see how they'd fit! Maybe call Kingston directly and ask?

dps
Feb. 11, 2010, 09:21 AM
I'm thinking the TB Deluxe won't be big enough for my horses. I love the trailer but it is high priced and not sure it will be big enough for me. My current Kingston is 7'6 tall and 6'5 wide and the TB Deluxe is 7'5 tall and 6'2 wide not much difference in the height but the width is tight. I guess I will keep looking.

Thanks everyone

anyone have a warmblood size trailer with a dressing room for sale?

AKB
Feb. 12, 2010, 11:19 PM
I have a Sundowner that is not for sale. My neighbor's 18h horse fits in it really easily when we go off to the park together. My 16.2h, 1500lb, Irish Draught, also fits well. The two of them make quite a pair in the trailer. Her horse does not like to get in her trailer, but is happy in mine.