PDA

View Full Version : DH has a towing plan...I don't have warm fuzzies...

trinityhill
Feb. 8, 2010, 07:17 PM
We just had our show team meeting this weekend and the turnout and interest in showing this year was phenomenal! The DH after seeing the crew of kids and parents chomping at the bit this year, came up with the idea to purchase a second trailer (I currently have a 2+1 gooseneck so we are limited to bringing 2 horses and a pony total) in order to have more horses there for the kids to show.

Over all great news, but the catch that is making me a bit nervous... we would have to use DH's 2004 Dodge Durango with a 5.7L V8 Hemi and a bumper pull... It is from the years that they were just modifying the Ram 1500 into the Durango, but still makes me a bit nervous even though I bet it probably has more power than my 1999 Ram 2500 that hauls the gooseneck. But I dont have warm fuzzies....

Has anyone else towed with this set up? We aren't looking to haul very far, as most of the kids are only looking to do local shows, no more than an hour and a half away, but it is still pretty hilly around here. Thoughts?

sahqueen
Feb. 8, 2010, 07:29 PM
I towed a 2 horse slant bumper pull for 6.5 years with a Dakota. The truck had a 5.2L V8, and never lacked for power. I maintained my truck and trailer brakes like a crazy person and never had an issue with lack of stopping power either. It wasn't ideal, but it got the job done.

I did use a weight distribution system for most of my hauling, but didn't always take the time for 'local' trips...I never noticed the difference on local and country roads, but imagine that I would have on highways.

Now I have a 2500 Ram Turbo Diesel and 4 horse slant GN...but I have to say that I do miss that little truck and trailer some days!

Meredith Clark
Feb. 8, 2010, 07:37 PM
I tow with a V8 Trail Blazer

I have a weight dist hitch, sway bars and good breaks

I tow a small open stock trailer (no dressing room or anything like that)

I don't mind it and I rarely go further than 1/2 hour away, thankfully the roads around here are pretty flat and low speeds.

Would I rather have a huge truck? sure

Could I afford to keep gas in it? no!

I talked to both my dealer and a trailer specialty shop to make sure I was safe, have not had a problem yet!

sk_pacer
Feb. 8, 2010, 08:35 PM
That truck can handle the load, but your hubby had better have deep pockets - under load that hemi just sucks down fuel. Friend had the same model for, oh, not very long when he discovered the first trailer load he hauled cost him dearly and it was a load of building materials, in the city, and the first time he hauled his horses was the time that truck went down the road. Problem is, hemi is for speed, not hauling, not half the engine the old hemis were

cyriz's mom
Feb. 8, 2010, 08:39 PM
I have been hauling for 5 years (and over 50,000 miles, including cross country) with a GMC Yukon with the 5.7 engine. Trailer is an extra tall, extra wide Exiss with 4' dressing room. Most of the time I don't even feel the trailer. Going up mountains, the Yuk moans a bit. Oh, the Yuk now has 217K miles on it!!!

I have great brakes, but no other special equipment. I'm sure some would say it's not safe, but it has works really well for me.

I am starting to look for a 2500 or 3500 4x4 truck...mainly because I need it for farm chores.

Chall
Feb. 8, 2010, 08:53 PM
Are you changing from personal to commercial hauling?

trinityhill
Feb. 8, 2010, 09:09 PM
Well it is good news to hear it isn't completely a crazy idea... It would just be for a back up plan when we need to bring more than 3 of my schoolies to the shows.

Chall: no, still just hauling just our owned school horses for the lesson kids to show on. My larger rig is registered commercial just because it is supposed to be but we are definitely not for hire.

riff
Feb. 9, 2010, 09:31 AM
I hauled a steel 2 horse straight load with no dressing room for 5 years with a Durango. I didn't have problems stopping or going. Durango held up well for the whole time. I did make sure the trailer brakes were always in good shape. Mileage wasn't great but wasn't all that bad either.