PDA

View Full Version : Truck bed covers

kookicat
Feb. 8, 2010, 06:51 AM
I've been thinking about getting a cover for the bed of my truck. I have a Toyota Hilux. I'm not sure which type to go for, the flat (http://www.actiontrucks.com/caps/action_kover.php) ones or the shell (http://www.actiontrucks.com/caps/action_contour.php) things that fit on the top. Sorry, I'm not sure what they're actually called.

I tow a bumper pull with my truck. Would either of these have an effect on that? I also use it to haul hay/feed/bedding. I think the flat type would give me more room (stuff underneath, stuff on top) but I'm not sure.

Also, did it change your fuel consumption?

Thanks!

Heart's Journey
Feb. 8, 2010, 08:28 AM
I used to have an F-150 regular cab and despertly needed more storage space. I got the tonneau cover put on mine. It has the alumiunum ribs, with the covering over it.

The positives were: it gave me storage space, helped in my mileage, and I never had anyone remove anything from it as they seemed to think it was locked.

Negatives: I would take the tailgate down to access stuff and of course it would have moved way up to the front of the bed. I've seen people that would leave stuff in to block this. If you took the cover off for any length of time, it was really tough to stretch it enough to get it back on in place.

In hindsight I would have rather gotten the rolladen type ones that roll up and down and lock - lot more expensive, but more useful.

There's also the type that the whole thing goes up or down and friends that have that type wish they hadn't gotten them as you can't really use the truck to haul furniture, etc

I have friends that have the cabs and love them. It does give you alot of indoor storage space.

Over the Hill
Feb. 8, 2010, 08:56 AM
Nine years ago, when I got my new truck, I needed a cover to protect my hay and grain that I had to drive long distances to pick up. I researched all sorts of covers, and settled on Truxedo.

My cover is vinyl with round "ribs". The whole thing rides on tracks that mount inside the bed. (No holes to drill, either)

It closes completely and your tailgate closing prevents anyone from accessing the interior.

If you need the whole bed for carrying large bulky items, the whole cover rolls front to the cab and can be secured by tie down straps.

The best part of this purchase was that after nine years of constant use in the extreme conditions here in Florida, the cover started to shrink and the velcro started to let go on the sides.

I called Truxedo to see if I could buy just the cover, and they replaced the vinyl cover and velcro FREE because their product carries a life-time guarantee, and that includes the vinyl. All they asked is that I return to old cover to them for market research and they even paid the for that !

Now, that's what I call good customer service, and I have been nothing but pleased with my choice.

BasqueMom
Feb. 8, 2010, 12:46 PM
The flat covers (Tonneau) aren't designed to carry weight on top of them as far as I know--even the metal ones. The roll up or fold up hard plastic panels do
allow you to use most of the bed for hauling the big stuff like hay, etc.

We have one truck with the shell (camper top)--it has been useful occasionally but don't think I'd go that route again. Ours is taller than the one you have pictured.

MunchkinsMom
Feb. 8, 2010, 03:45 PM
I LOVE my Access Cover:

http://www.agricover.com/index.php/products/category/C9/

No annoying snaps to deal with, the ribs are easily removed if you need to, and it keeps everything back there dry.

I get complimented on it all the time, especially at the feed stores.

And yes, it does help a little bit with the gas mileage.

fordtraktor
Feb. 8, 2010, 04:28 PM
Another option is a velcro cover -- easy to remove as necessary. If I had my pick I would get one of the ones that rolls up and down, though -- those are awesome but $$.

Leather
Feb. 8, 2010, 06:16 PM
Unless you can back up a trailer using only your mirrors, don't get a shell. It really blocks your view when backing.

I also don't like shells because I hate crawling around on my knees to get things out of them. :lol:

As somebody mentioned, the flat covers aren't meant to have anything stacked on top of them.

I've got a Rugged Cover and I love it.
http://www.ruggedliner.com/product-rugged-cover.php

I like rolling/folding covers better than solid covers because they're easier to haul taller things in. When I go camping I usually have the cover over the front 2/3 of the bed and then the back 1/3 folded up so I can carry my turkey deep fryer. :D

ReSomething
Feb. 9, 2010, 01:48 AM
We have a shell on the Tacoma, which I think is Hilux sized. I like it. I like being able to stuff a lot of different things in there and have them be secure. A tonneau cover wouldn't work for us, especially the fiberglass (solid) ones. I've seen people have to leave them cocked up in order to fit an overtall box in the bed. I had a friend with the rollup cover, she liked hers but the casing - the edges - looked like something DH would bend up quickly.

I can't say we are average though, we also have a lumber rack on the same truck. We buy 16' hog panels and put them up on the rack, it's 12' long, no sweat.

eponacelt
Feb. 9, 2010, 12:43 PM
I've got a Rugged Cover and I love it.
http://www.ruggedliner.com/product-rugged-cover.php

I like rolling/folding covers better than solid covers because they're easier to haul taller things in. When I go camping I usually have the cover over the front 2/3 of the bed and then the back 1/3 folded up so I can carry my turkey deep fryer. :D

I have one of these as well. We LOVE it. Have had it for nearly 10 years and no problems - and we even bought ours used!

One of the nice things is that you can open it mostly up or completely take it off really easily. It is lightweight enough for me not to struggle with it.

kookicat
Feb. 9, 2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks folks! I'll show this to hubby and go from there. :)